Thread: Need some help

Question Need some help

I am looking to become a firefighter. I served in the Marine Corps from 2001 to 2006 in an Artillery Battery. I have a felony child abuse charge that I plead no contest to. I am not making excuses but I have been diagnosed with PTSD from combat time I have and I had a lot of problems during that time i.e., nightmares, blackouts, anger issues, alcohol dependence. I have nothing else on my record. I guess I just figured I had to be a hard *** about things and not realize that admitting I had issues with combat was not weakness but reality. I have gotten help since and things are a lot better for me. I am looking for a career but need information to see if this is even a viable option. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Semper Fi

Forum Member

SemperFidelis02 -
    Well, I like you am just starting the hunt for the badge. I'm by no means an experienced vet at this whole thing yet but I think it just depends. I know certain departments have different charges that lead to an automatic DQ and then others are actually willing to listen to an explanation of what happened. I think it really would just depend on who you are dealing with. I know the fire service puts a premium on men and women who have served and eventhough most of us don't understand first hand what happens inside when you go through the things that you have, we can all realize that it does have an effect on you. I would suggest, just my opinion, that you do still try. The fact that you did serve is an advantage but I think after that it's up to the person you talk to. I wish you the best of luck in your career choice and thank you for the things that you've done for us at home.

Forum Member

Default Best of luck

First of all...Thank You for your service to our country and I would like to wish you luck in your search for the badge. It seems that you have a Felony and that just about D.Q.'s you. I know it's hard to hear this but it the real world. There are plenty out there who have cleaner records and have a better chance.
    Good luck!!!
    Last edited by JayDudley; 05-19-2008 at 01:03 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I'd like to thank you for your service. It can't hurt to try, but it will be difficult you are going to be up against other people that have put in service that don't have a felony. Also against civilians that don't have a felony either. When it comes to it don't try to hide, lessen or make excuses for your mistakes. Own up to it, tell them what you learned and be honest.

It's going to be hard, just think of it from third person. Someone comes and treats your child and you learn he has a felony for child abuse, will you trust him?

Thread Information