Forum Member

Default Billy G.'s Secret List - Fire Explorer Killed While Responding

What an email I received from Billy G... Fire Explorer Killed While Responding

Hey...While naturally, no one can yet determine if it will be declared federally as an official LODD, we have been advised that a Fire Explorer in West Haven (CT) was killed after he was struck by an SUV, as he was going to a car crash run on Monday. The Fire Explorer was 14 year old Ralph Russo of West Haven. (See TV video links below)
    Russo was riding his bike with a friend when they reportedly headed to a dispatched car crash, when Russo was tragically struck by a Jeep. Efforts to save his life were not successful and he died from his injuries. Russo was a middle school student and a part of the Fire Explorer program in West Haven. The SUV driver involved was obeying all traffic laws and is not facing any charges. This appears to be a very tragic accident involving a fine and wonderful community minded teenager who loved many things-including his role at the WHFD. And while the issue of LODD/non-LODD is an emotional one, you will remember the case of Junior Firefighter Chris Kangas from Brookhaven, Pennsylvania, who lost his life in what appears to be a similar fashion, just a few years ago. That claim as an LODD was denied by PSOB...but has been challenged and is now in the hands of the Courts. Here are some details: http://brookhavenfireco.com/custom.html?id=1143 The issue and definition of what an LODD is, and what it is not, is dependent upon who you ask. At first glance it seems clear, but it isn't. For example, the PSOB folks at DOJ, who are the bottom line as far as benefits, have their definitions. Furthermore, the NFPA has their definitions of an LODD, while the USFA and NFFF have theirs. And at the local level, there are also diverse local definitions. There are many "Junior" members who play an important role in providing service much the same as there are many very "Senior" members, who as active members of their FD, also play critical roles locally....all whose services are very important. All good people wanting to help. Personally, we see a significant difference in various, yet all tragic LODD's, as examples: =a member losing their life while attempting the search or rescue of trapped victims at a fire, =a member being ejected because they chose to not wear their seat belt, =a member driving who blows a red traffic signal/stop sign, =a member lost in an unoccupied structure that was a write off upon their entry,=a member working out and having a heart attack, =a member lost during a fire training burn,=a member struck while operating on a scene...as well as the many other LODD's (which these all are) that fall on all ranges of the wide scale of definition. Don't read into this-these are all horrible losses of wonderful people who just wanted to help-and are all LODD's as defined by most. The one thing that is clear and well defined is that these are terrible, local-duty related losses to those who knew/loved them ...and those who are left behind. The PSOB folks and the Courts will figure out the rest. What we can do-especially at the local level, is to take the action at all rank levels (Chief to Probie) to PREVENT the need for the LODD/Non-LODD debates...meaning to take local action to eliminate the unnecessary LODD's. We will never eliminate all LODD's because sometimes, as sad as it sounds, Firefighters must, on rare occasion, lose their lives in heroic manners. Sometimes we get killed in the Line of Duty where it was NOT preventable and sometimes, we tragically die when doing the job...Not Everyone Goes Home. But those numbers are the small numbers...the clear minority. It's the numerous tragic, but sometimes so obvious and unnecessary "that didn't have to happen" big number LODD's that we are talking about. That's where it can be managed and where change can happen. Giving credit to the late politician Tip O'Neil, who stated that "All politics are local"..it also applies to us, that "All LODD Prevention Is Local"...from the Chief to the Probie. Our most sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to all affected, but especially the family of WHFD Explorer Ralph Russo on the horrible loss of a fine young man who just wanted to help.Take Care-BE CAREFUL.BillyGThe Secret List 5-8-08 / 0630 Hourswww.FireFighterCloseCalls.com VIDEO LINKS TO THE ABOVE INCIDENT: http://www.courant.com/news/custom/t...,2429721.story http://www.wtnh.com/global/video/fla...o&rnd=38605334
    My condolences to the family and friends...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Very said that one of are own has passed.
    My condolences to the family and all affected.

Delta107

Forum Member

Ya I got this too.

First of all, my condolences go out to the family and to the department.

But, you can't help but wonder.........if the suv driver was following all traffic laws and will not be cited........what really happened?

And I am not sure if this in the end will apply to this situation or not, but like Billy G himself has said........sometimes we can be our own worst enemies

Stay safe out there everybody. Explorers and juniors too.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 05-09-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

makes good girls go bad

Jesus. This is not our year.
    Rest in peace little Bro.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Rest in peace. My prayers and thoughts are with everyone involved.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post

But, you can't help but wonder.........if the suv driver was following all traffic laws and will not be cited........what really happened?

You can only wonder if the suv was really following all traffic laws.

R.I.P Ralph Russo
    Delta107
    Last edited by Delta107; 05-09-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Forum Member

14 years old. He had so much ahead of him and now it's over just like that.

Rest Easy Little Bro.
    Thoughts and Prayers with his family.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, when I received the email, the first thing through my head was AGAIN%!!??

After the Chris Kangas death, I honestly didn't expect to see one of these so soon. This probably deserves another thread (or a revive), but once again, what say we rein in the 14 year old "CHILDREN" responding to fires eh?

Thoughts and prayers for this lads family.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    but once again, what say we rein in the 14 year old "CHILDREN" responding to fires eh? Thoughts and prayers for this lads family.
    As much as I support Junior and Cadet programs, I have to agree fully with my Canadian brother. A 14 year old has NO business responding to a fire. Period.

Rest in peace little brother.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    As much as I support Junior and Cadet programs, I have to agree fully with my Canadian brother. A 14 year old has NO business responding to a fire. Period.

FWDbuff, the following may seem combative, but is not intended to be so.

First of all, where'd you get Fire out of CAR CRASH?

Second, if he was down the street, why shouldn't he respond? IF he has EMT certs, why not? Although he might not of had EMT equipment, he still could determine if there were injuries or not. Granted, he he could've just told the guys when they arrived.

Sad, sad tragedy.

Mike
    Last edited by 77MackCF; 05-09-2008 at 11:47 PM.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by 77MackCF View Post
    FWDbuff, the following may seem combative, but is not intended to be so.

First of all, where'd you get Fire out of CAR CRASH?

Second, if he was down the street, why shouldn't he respond? IF he has EMT certs, why not? Although he might not of have EMT equipment, he still could determine if there were injuries.

Mike
    Mike, stow your ignorance.

You want to start a thread about how Juniors should do something like that, do it elsewhere. This is for posting condolences to our departed little Brother.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Mike, stow your ignorance.

You want to start a thread about how Juniors should do something like that, do it elsewhere. This is for posting condolences to our departed little Brother.
    I agree else here almost 95% of threads that have anything to do with Juniors or Explorers doing anything onscene turn into fights drop it this time and leave it alone.

Rest In Peace Ralph Russo

Andrew

Forum Member

Even though I am in an explorer program, I agree with you wholeheartedly. And sadly, our position is backed with evidence. That evidence being the Kanagas death and now Russo.

RIP guys.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

FWDbuff, the following may seem combative, but is not intended to be so. I love it when people say that. My answer: Then why did you post it?

First of all, where'd you get Fire out of CAR CRASH? Oh my aching ***....You say tomato, I say tomahto....EMERGENCY...OK?? 14 YEAR OLDS SHOULD NOT BE RESPONDING TO EMERGENCIES.

Second, if he was down the street, why shouldn't he respond? Because he is 14 years old. He is still a child. He should be discovering what girls are, playing baseball, or doing his homework, or be at the firehouse that is sponsoring his program studying an IFSTA manual. IF he has EMT certs, I cant think of one state that would allow a 14 year old EMT student. why not? Although he might not of had EMT equipment, he still could determine if there were injuries or not. Granted, he he could've just told the guys when they arrived.I can guarantee you this- That as a reponding EMT I, nor would any other EMT's that I know, would NOT take the word of a 14 year old first responder. Sorry. I'm not allowing my certification to hang on the "experienced" 14 year old's word. He can blab all he wants about potential injuries, but I am still going to say "Yeah ok kid, thanks now go stand on the sidewalk before you get hurt." That patient is getting a full assessment by myself.

Sad, sad tragedy. Yes, it is. But what is as equally as sad a situation is the fact that people like yourself fail to see the stupidity in allowing a 14 year old to respond to an emergency scene, when they may not be physically prepared nor emotionally stable enough to handle the situation.

Mike
    Let me ask you this, Mike.....One time, about 8 or 10 years ago, myself any my partner were dispatched to an attempted suicide in a private residence. We had a 20 year old Paramedic student riding with us that day. The Pt. was a 15 year old male. I wont go into detail about how he did it (there were no weapons involved and no blood or gore, but it was a physical trauma that did it.....) He was emotionally distraught, and suceeded in taking his own life. Our 20 year old Paramedic student broke down hysterically crying, right there on the spot. So now not only did we have the Pt. to deal with, the Pt's family (who had just arrived home to an Ambulance and 2 patrol cars in front of their house) to deal with, we now had to deal with one of our own. Fortunately the cops split up, one handled the family and the other handled our student medic.

How do you think a 14 year old would have handled that? Seeing what we saw happen to a 15 year old?

I can't tell from your profile what your age is. But I did read in one of your other posts that you admitted to being an explorer. So it would appear that your heart is in the right place, which I admire and respect. Unfortunately, however, your head is up your ***.

Let's not continue this verbal sparring. I have said it before and I will say it again- I have more time sitting on the $hitter in both my paid and career firehouses than you have time on this earth from the moment you came out of your mother. I started at the age of 16 as a Junior Firefighter. I saw stuff then that I shouldnt have seen. With years of time on the job, both as a volunteer and a career Firefighter, I, along with thousands of others on these forums, have seen things that no human being should have to see, and have seen it time and time again. You are an explorer. You are a plebe, a proby, a newby, a young'in. You should be doing your homework, riding your bicycle to baseball games with your friends, and calling girls on the phone and getting nervous and hanging up when they answer. You should be having wet dreams and trying to hide the stain from your mother. Not responding to EMERGENCIES.

Just to show you I'm not a bad guy, I'll say this: If you want to come down to the firehouse on Tuesday nights for the explorer meetings, and an occasional saturday to do some hose handling or SCBA drills, fine. I am more than happy to fully support you and help you in any way. In fact, I used to do the Firemanship merit badge for the local BSA troop.

Now, if you want to continue this discussion, I only ask one thing of you: Please think before you hit that enter button, and dont let your mouth write a check that your intellect and experience can't cash.

Forum Member

Default Everybody Grow Up!!

Let me ask you this, Mike.....One time, about 8 or 10 years ago, myself any my partner were dispatched to an attempted suicide in a private residence. We had a 20 year old Paramedic student riding with us that day. The Pt. was a 15 year old male. I wont go into detail about how he did it (there were no weapons involved and no blood or gore, but it was a physical trauma that did it.....) He was emotionally distraught, and suceeded in taking his own life. Our 20 year old Paramedic student broke down hysterically crying, right there on the spot. So now not only did we have the Pt. to deal with, the Pt's family (who had just arrived home to an Ambulance and 2 patrol cars in front of their house) to deal with, we now had to deal with one of our own. Fortunately the cops split up, one handled the family and the other handled our student medic.

How do you think a 14 year old would have handled that? Seeing what we saw happen to a 15 year old?

I can't tell from your profile what your age is. But I did read in one of your other posts that you admitted to being an explorer. So it would appear that your heart is in the right place, which I admire and respect. Unfortunately, however, your head is up your ***.

Let's not continue this verbal sparring. I have said it before and I will say it again- I have more time sitting on the $hitter in both my paid and career firehouses than you have time on this earth from the moment you came out of your mother. I started at the age of 16 as a Junior Firefighter. I saw stuff then that I shouldnt have seen. With years of time on the job, both as a volunteer and a career Firefighter, I, along with thousands of others on these forums, have seen things that no human being should have to see, and have seen it time and time again. You are an explorer. You are a plebe, a proby, a newby, a young'in. You should be doing your homework, riding your bicycle to baseball games with your friends, and calling girls on the phone and getting nervous and hanging up when they answer. You should be having wet dreams and trying to hide the stain from your mother. Not responding to EMERGENCIES.

Just to show you I'm not a bad guy, I'll say this: If you want to come down to the firehouse on Tuesday nights for the explorer meetings, and an occasional saturday to do some hose handling or SCBA drills, fine. I am more than happy to fully support you and help you in any way. In fact, I used to do the Firemanship merit badge for the local BSA troop.

Now, if you want to continue this discussion, I only ask one thing of you: Please think before you hit that enter button, and dont let your mouth write a check that your intellect and experience can't cash.

I can not believe what I'm reading.

Grow up and take your bickering elsewhere, this isn't the place.

RIP little guy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerLt1991 View Post
    I can not believe what I'm reading.

Grow up and take your bickering elsewhere, this isn't the place.

RIP little guy.
    Why?? Everything he said is true.

Where should they talk about it?? Make a new thread and do it there. People will be equally as ****ed off there as they are here.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

My head up my ***, yeah, I'll agree with that. I know my limits.

Buff, how about we drop this from this topic. I made a mistake and it's my fault. I'll suck it up and live with it. Let's get back to the original discussion, shall we?

ExplorerLt1991, fine with me. I'm stopping the bickering on my end.

Mike
    Last edited by 77MackCF; 05-10-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

When when whennnnn are people on here going to get it???!!!

There will ALWAYS be discussion after tragic events like this and there has to be TWO threads, one to discuss the incident and one to specifically post your condolences only.

Marty, when I first read the post on IACOJ, Chris Kangas immediately popped into my mind too, and that it was exactly like the incident that took his young life. I couldn't believe it happened again!

Buff, you're bang on as usual.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Buff, how about we drop this from this topic. I made a mistake and it's my fault. I'll suck it up and live with it. Let's get back to the original discussion, shall we?

Mike
    Agreed and ended.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Where should they talk about it?? Make a new thread and do it there. People will be equally as ****ed off there as they are here.
    Precisely.

Mike
    Agreed and ended.

Forum Member

Deleted. Realized the 77 kid wanted it to end... So I'll keep my comments.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Sad that he lost his life at such a young age. No matter the reason. May he rest in peace.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace Brother. My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

To Everyone else,
    Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

I need to check these forums more..

R.I.P my brother. You will be missed and never forgotten!

Know you died apart of the brotherhood.

Thread Information