Forum Member

Default ? About the 2008 Grants, also lookin for advise.

Ummm when are they going to start the 2008 grants and also, we put in for a tanker truck, now I am not to sure what my chief put in the narrative but what if you put in there how big your county is, that we have no hydrant system in the county, how many people live in the county and how unsafe the tankers we got now are, for example (no Seat Belts) Would that kinda turn them on to read into it a little deeper and probably give us a better chance at getting the grant money, Just curious.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are asking when the awards will begin; should be about July/August time frame.

An application that makes it to PR will have the narrative read and scored on the 4 required sections (each has equal weight): Project Description, Financial Need, Project Cost-Benefit & Operational Outcome.

The narrative needs to be concise and to the point, but thorough leaving the PR with no unanswered questions. An introduction about the department and the area is a good thing, this keeps the PR from going through the application to get that info and possibly losing their train of thought.

Any statements made in the narrative need to pass the litmus test. Does the statement answer: How?, What? Where? When? or Why? If they don't the PR will be left wondering.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

For the most part Peer Reviewers do not read anything into narratives, they can only go on what is stated. So if it says no hydrant system, they'll obviously know water supply is an issue. No mention of how many tankers are currently in the county will leave them wondering, since if there are enough water supply isn't as big of an issue.

If what you put in your post is in the narrative then you have a good set of bullet points in there, so that's a good start. Beating the computer is the first part, 1 in 5 shot there, 1 in 10 of award so if expanded on that's the type of info Peer Reviewers like to see.

MembersZone Subscriber

You made big step coming into these forums here as the two above me and I answer these type questions for you guys in here all the time. There is a wealth of information and experience available here and I would also highly recommend that you seek out one of the seminars that BC or myself do later this year to learn the in's and out's of these grants better.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Re: Thanks

Well not 2007 but 2006's afg grant we got granted 235,000 dollars for a class A pumper, my chief wrote the grant he really didn't attend any grant writing seminars, now I did tell him you might want to add in there about no hydrant systems in the county, the safty of the equipment (tanker) we have now and so on and so on, I don't know but I hope we get it because we despretly need one just like we needed a class A pumper and HEY we got it so ya never know. Thanks guys for answerin my questions and BC79er You might remember me I asked u some of the same qustions back in 2006 lol, anyway Thanks guys.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

14 I have enough trouble remembering yesterday.

If you beat the computer you won't have enough sympathy from Peer for a tanker since you got the pumper before, compared to someone that hasn't gotten any trucks. So far all we've found with those that got a 2nd truck award is that one award was a big truck, the other was a brush/quick attack. But there's always a first time for everything.

Thread Information