Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DCFD Question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default DCFD Question

I have a few questions about DC fire, im hoping some of you guys can help. I am a FF/Medic, looking to head down to Maryland area. I was looking into become a FF/Medic with DC, and i was wondering how they work with the medics on the engine. Do they only work the engine, are they detailed to the bus (ambulance) for shifts? Do they only run Medic engines or do they run medic turcks (Ladders)? Also wanted to know if the departments helps medics recertify when there certification is about to expire?

Forum Member

FF/medics are assigned to an engine company after recruit school and passing their ALS evaluations. They are not currently assigned to transport units other then for evals. Sometimes, experienced FF/medics are assigned to truck companies, and are used to fill in for other FF/medics that are on engines. Also, the only time we run medic trucks is when the engine in the same house is out of service for some extended period. For the most part, all your recert can be handled in house, however some of us also choose to go to local universities to take their CEU courses. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

so who rides the ambulance then?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ULTRAMAGGNUS View Post
    so who rides the ambulance then?
    The EMS side of DC FEMS (Fire and Emergency Medical Service).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    The EMS side of DC FEMS (Fire and Emergency Medical Service).
    I heard the EMS division has been integrated into the fire division, and all EMS members were given the option to cross train (regardless of age and physical capabilities). Wouldn't this effect this situation?
    Last edited by CallMeTbag; 05-13-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Typographical Error

MembersZone Subscriber

Do any of you guys know how DC fire is with working other places part time. With the 24/72 schedule allowing plenty of off time, just wondering if they allow it. I know systems where you can not work legally any where but the department you are working for. If i were to head down there i would mind trying to find a part time FF job, or medic job somewhere. Any ideas?

Forum Member

Default so who rides the ambulance then?

ill tell you who rides the ambulance....its the firefighter/emts. no officers, no technicians, no paramedics ride the ambulance, the only time they do is when they are transporting along with the patient, but its all good i signed up for the role as firefighter/emt, its in my job description, if your a medic, you got it made in this dept....hope that helps

oh i almost forgot all the single role paramedics who have not gone through the fire academy also staff medic transport units, but from what i heard they are no longer just hiring single role medics, "Its an all hazards agency", Chief D.L. Rubin

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouseoflp View Post
    ill tell you who rides the ambulance....its the firefighter/emts. no officers, no technicians, no paramedics ride the ambulance, the only time they do is when they are transporting along with the patient, but its all good i signed up for the role as firefighter/emt, its in my job description, if your a medic, you got it made in this dept....hope that helps

oh i almost forgot all the single role paramedics who have not gone through the fire academy also staff medic transport units, but from what i heard they are no longer just hiring single role medics, "Its an all hazards agency", Chief D.L. Rubin
    coming from central florida, where most firemedics are abused, this is the biggest breath of fresh air I've ever heard...sounds like hte medics have it MADE BIGTIME!. so what about an ALS call though? this I don't understand. Who does the transport? does the firemedic ride in on the BLS ambulance? sounds like a hassle

Forum Member

ok here it is, i feel like i repeat myself, PARAMEDICS RIDE ON ENGINE COMPANYS, they are known as PEC's (Paramedic Engine Company) engines respond to charlie, delta, echo calls, truck companys to bravo's and just straight up bull**** calls they send the basic ambulance, a bls ambulance with 2 firefighter emts and a PEC responds to whatever the case may be, the medic, decides whether or not he will respond to the hospital (again they are the final say so) if they go, they will ride on the bls ambulance that responded, and when they are all done the ambulance crew will drop the medic back off at their assigned house, its a perk the city is doin so they can get medics, on top of it, medics never get detailed from there engines as well, but there is hostility towards this method in some companies, but its all on how you handle it, hope this helps

PS Medics do not ride trucks, or rescues, unless a special situation arises

Default Do Your Homework!!!!!!!!

Anyone who gets on these forums and says being a medic in DC is a good gig obviously isn't a medic. If you are considering applying for a firefighter/medic spot I highly encourage you to come out here and talk to some of them first. That whole thing of medics always on the line is crap...considering they are coming from a company that doesn't even have a medic. It all depends on the company as to if they will even let you touch the line. I would estimate that 90+% of the guys would drop their medic today if the dept would let them. And there currently are several guys working with the union to do just that. The issues in this department are too deep to even discuss on here. The first warning flag should be the $7,000 bonus just to take the job. I'm sorry but if that's what it takes to get someone to be a fireman/medic in the nations capital then there's something wrong. All of the surrounding large departments seem to hire medics just fine without any bonus.So if you're going to apply stop and talk to some of the medics first...then to some of the FF/EMTs. On their own time if possible and ask for brutal honesty. You won't find too many good comments. My advice: STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!! If not, apply for FDNY, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, even Balto City and take the pay cut. But if you decide to apply here apply for the FF/EMT position that way once you realize how screwed up the system is and want to drop your medic, (which I almost guarantee you will) the dept can't do anything about it because you came in as a FF/EMT. The city is NOT buring like it used to and the bull-crap medical locals are getting worse!! This place isn't what it used to be and the management has no clue where they want it to go.

Default Not so fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    coming from central florida, where most firemedics are abused, this is the biggest breath of fresh air I've ever heard...sounds like hte medics have it MADE BIGTIME!. so what about an ALS call though? this I don't understand. Who does the transport? does the firemedic ride in on the BLS ambulance? sounds like a hassle
    Keep holding your breath there buddy. Before you guys start packing your bags to DC I HIGHLY encourage you to get up here and start talking to some of the FF/medics...and then the FF/EMTs. Ask for brutal honesty and if possible do it on their own time. I can almost guarantee that 90+% of the FF/medics would drop their status today if the dept would let them. And some guys are currently working with the union to make that happen. Medics here are disliked. They bump guys off of their own back step and either cause them to be detailed out or pushed to the ambo. As far as the line goes, some houses won't even let you touch the line just because you're a medic. There are some guys that will talk the system up because there is alot of pride in this department but when it boils down to it the majority of the guys here hate coming to work. All of the companies run ragged on medical locals all day long and rarely get to put a fire out. It's not the same department it was 20 years ago. Our management are exterior hires and have no ties to this place nor do they give a damn about the traditions this place used to have. Our chief is implementing EMS policies however has never had an ounce of experience working in a department that ran EMS. The guy isn't even an EMT!!! My advice, stick with FDNY, Detroit, Charlotte, even Balto City and take the pay cut. At least there they go to a ton of fire and everyone has to become a medic so there is no double standard anywhere. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIFD256E9L1 View Post
    Do any of you guys know how DC fire is with working other places part time. With the 24/72 schedule allowing plenty of off time, just wondering if they allow it. I know systems where you can not work legally any where but the department you are working for. If i were to head down there i would mind trying to find a part time FF job, or medic job somewhere. Any ideas?
    Yes, you can work part time AFTER you are our of probation (1 year from hire), AND you complete a form notifying the department of your specific outside employment AND it gets approved. Plenty of our members work somewhere else on days off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCFF32 View Post
    Anyone who gets on these forums and says being a medic in DC is a good gig obviously isn't a medic. If you are considering applying for a firefighter/medic spot I highly encourage you to come out here and talk to some of them first. That whole thing of medics always on the line is crap...considering they are coming from a company that doesn't even have a medic. It all depends on the company as to if they will even let you touch the line. I would estimate that 90+% of the guys would drop their medic today if the dept would let them. And there currently are several guys working with the union to do just that. The issues in this department are too deep to even discuss on here. The first warning flag should be the $7,000 bonus just to take the job. I'm sorry but if that's what it takes to get someone to be a fireman/medic in the nations capital then there's something wrong. All of the surrounding large departments seem to hire medics just fine without any bonus.So if you're going to apply stop and talk to some of the medics first...then to some of the FF/EMTs. On their own time if possible and ask for brutal honesty. You won't find too many good comments. My advice: STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!! If not, apply for FDNY, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, even Balto City and take the pay cut. But if you decide to apply here apply for the FF/EMT position that way once you realize how screwed up the system is and want to drop your medic, (which I almost guarantee you will) the dept can't do anything about it because you came in as a FF/EMT. The city is NOT buring like it used to and the bull-crap medical locals are getting worse!! This place isn't what it used to be and the management has no clue where they want it to go.
    Solid advice
    Last edited by CaponeCEO; 12-26-2008 at 01:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have talked to many different people from many different departments all across the US, and what it comes down to is everyone has their own impression and different opinion on ever job. I would like to see things for myself, and make my own impression of everything. Iím taking some time off next month to head down to the DC / Virginia area, and visit some houses and talk to some of the brothers, any suggestions on who to visit? What houses, what companies?

Thread Information