Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Underfunding of Emergency Services?

I am doing a research paper on for my school and for the local departments that will hopefully persuade more people to consider assisting our departments. Thus, i was wondering what the opinions of other Emergency Service Providers thought. So posting your thoughts with or without permission to quote would be great.

-If you do not wish to be quoted you will not be.

Forum Member

Default give some questions

what type of questions are looking at... give more info and ill give my opinion...

Here is a classic quote that still holds water" Nobody ever thinks about the local FD until their own house is on fire!".
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Kind of a loaded question that you might want to narrow down a little. Asking it that way is like asking anyone if they get paid enough at their job, that's always a no. Very few FDs in this country will admit to having enough money to buy what they want, versus having enough equipment to do what they need to do based on their current/future risks. Not everyone needs a new truck every 10 years, not everyone needs paid personnel, new PPE every 3etc, etc, etc.

Just like justifying the need for a grant, justifying the need for more local funding in any form requires an in-depth assessment of what the department really needs to be prepared for now as well as the next 2-5 years based on housing/growth trends in the coverage area. I've seen a lot of two-edged swords with the powers that be dismissing national standards when it means that the FD needs more money, and also when hammering them for not being up to them when something happens after not giving them the money.

Quite a few studies have been done on similar/related topics, check out USFA's Publications section at www.usfa.fema.gov. Quote if you want, or if you want something more polishing/specific just drop an email. FYI might take a day or two to get back to you, on vacation down here in Puerto Rico until next Saturday so dial-up at the in-laws is the norm, have to hit town for the broadband.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Enjoy the vacation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a perfect example for you. Due to budget constraints we dropped manning from 4 to 3 and also had 300k dropped this year. The chief didn't even take the chiefs pay just to keep everything going. New businesses are opening this year and hopefully the next year will be better.

Forum Member

This underfunding of emergency services proves my impression of this Administration's disdain for everyone but those folks of priveledge to be true. Not only that, but George W. Bush is NO friend of the fire service, or emergency services, despite his pretenses to the contrary. How many firefighters or emergency workers have to be killed needlessly before this worthless moron at 1600 Pernnsylvania Avenue comes to his senses, if he has any?
    Jim Mancuso

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

This underfunding of emergency services proves my impression of this Administration's disdain for everyone but those folks of priveledge to be true. Not only that, but George W. Bush is NO friend of the fire service, or emergency services, despite his pretenses to the contrary. How many firefighters or emergency workers have to be killed needlessly before this worthless moron at 1600 Pernnsylvania Avenue comes to his senses, if he has any?
    No fan of his either, but he has no responsibility for fire protection in my town or yours. Unless you want him to come to your station and cook you a healthy meal, review his fitness regimen with you or check to make sure your seat belts are on and that you don't run red lights, I'm not sure he can do anything about LODD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerjim View Post
    Perhaps you need to direct your nonsense to Albany where your local elected officials (crooked) reside. Or your county/city. Funding your FD is a local responsibility. Or perhaps, if elected, Osamabama will take over the fire service and there will be sunshine and lollypops for all.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Have to agree to some extent here, just like a CEO all the Pres does is set policy hopes and attempt to have Congress write the laws to interpret them. Some of the policies aren't "fire service friendly", but most of those like the AFG funding reductions never make it.

Plus once we consider that almost 75% of LODDs have nothing to do with fireground ops since half are heart attacks and another hunk are vehicle related, it looks like we have to change some of our ways before we can throw rocks at others. I've been personally putting off working out and other fun stuff at the gym, even with genetics that say I'm prime for early heart problems. So I'll start if for no other reason than a friend just died suddenly the other day, age 39. I think I'll be hitting the gym more and not using the elliptical in the other room as decoration. Once we clean our own house we can yell at others for not cleaning their own or helping keep ours clean.

Forum Member

Talking

I've got to echo Brian and others...
    Until we get a majority of the departments out there to adopt and actually enforce fitness and training requirements, then most LODDs will have nothing to do with whether the fire truck parked in the station is 2 years old or 20 years old.
    Besides, blaming the president for your local department's inability to buy a piece of equipment is like blaming Ronald McDonald 'cause you got a bad cheeseburger.

Look at my great State of Florida....
    The residents beleived the spin, and voted for property tax reform... and now all the county, city and district fire departments are faced with cost freezes and cutbacks.
    Nobody wants to pay higher taxes, but I'd rather have paid an extra ten bucks a month in taxes if it means I get quality fire and police services...
    What am I gonna do with $120 in a year? Hell, that won't cover the increase in insurance costs when our ISO rating goes to ****, or the next crime wave hits.

Phew.. done venting... cary on

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2802 View Post
    I've got to echo Brian and others...
    Until we get a majority of the departments out there to adopt and actually enforce fitness and training requirements, then most LODDs will have nothing to do with whether the fire truck parked in the station is 2 years old or 20 years old.
    Besides, blaming the president for your local department's inability to buy a piece of equipment is like blaming Ronald McDonald 'cause you got a bad cheeseburger.

Look at my great State of Florida....
    The residents beleived the spin, and voted for property tax reform... and now all the county, city and district fire departments are faced with cost freezes and cutbacks.
    Nobody wants to pay higher taxes, but I'd rather have paid an extra ten bucks a month in taxes if it means I get quality fire and police services...
    What am I gonna do with $120 in a year? Hell, that won't cover the increase in insurance costs when our ISO rating goes to ****, or the next crime wave hits.

Phew.. done venting... cary on
    Ditto on that Andy. Murders in Polk County already 150% ahead of last year, arson already up 62% here, robberies at ALL TIME HIGH, shoulders of roads unmowed and so high you could hide an A1 Abrams in them. My department lost $100,000 in a city of only 3500. They really bought this load of garbage hook line and sinker from Golden Boy Charlie. Lets see what happens when the condos start burning , the multi-million dollar waterfront homes start having 50% or higher total losses and the yachts are burning to the waterline. I can't wait to see what the emergency repsonse is going to be like with the first hurricane hit this year. Boy they thought they screamed in Katrina, wait till Palm Beach County or Sarasota get hit. Our small PD has three budgeted slots open that have been frozen and a career FD of 12 men has 4 positions unfilled and frozen till further notice and ALL spending has been suspended except for emergency expenditures.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you think Fl could take in as royalties on offshore oil drilling today? At least $10-20/yr. But no freeze drilling off the coast of Fl (while the p Chicoms set up shop in Cuba to drill to the same fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerjim View Post

I will bite.

What do you want George Bush to do? Specifically please.

Take it a bit further - what do you want him to do that other
    presidents have done?

Finally, what do you expect from the next administration, and who
    do you thnk will do it?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

AFG is up for renewal next summer for 2011 and beyond. Check CFSI's web site of who belongs to see who has been supporting the fire service for a long time in the Senate (hint) and who isn't a member. Not to say that the other won't support it but if past performance is a future indicator...

BC, I understand that - but I wanted to see if the poster had any facts to back up his ranting, or was it just that - ranting.

Bottom line, I still don't thnk FD funding should be a federal obligation, but I am going to be applying for it as long as it is available.

Thread Information