Permanently Removed

Default Good ventilation video....(downloadable)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I don't get it. All that, and then they fight the fire from the exterior?

Permanently Removed

Someone's always gonna question....

1. It looked like a training fire to me.

2. We werent there so dont know the operation at hand. Focus on the ventilation part.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-11-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Forum Member

looked more or less like a trench cut which leads me to believe either a defensive tactic or as previously mentioned...training.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Good video. I appreciate the fact that the camera was steady and showed the whole scene (unlike so many of the youtube helmetcam rock videos).

I think this crew did a good job. I want to mention something, but I want to make it clear I am not bashing these guys. I just want to discuss a couple of points for training purposes.

First, it appears that this is a center rafter louver operation. The saw guy has cut his perpendicular cuts from the ridge all the way to the bottom of the roof. Then he goes back up to throw in a couple of dice cuts, and the hook guy louvers the cut.

I like getting the roof open quickly. Rather than spend the time making 20+ feet of linear cuts before opening the roof, open the roof in increments. Start at the ridge, do center rafter louver (about 3-4 feet long), and then progress down, opening the roof as you go. It takes just as long, but the effects of ventilation are felt earlier.

Another point is staffing. I know that staffing is not something that the guys on the roof have any say in, but imagine if these guys had a 4 person crew. 2 saws and 2 hooks would open this roof in no time.

Again, I think these guys did very well. I apologize if I'm sounding nit-picky.

the 4-1-4

Nice job in the video.

As far as the stream in the window is concerned, it could be that the line was supposed to wash down the eave line. I've seen that happen here more than once. A 'do-gooder' chief has a line stretched to help protect the guys on the roof, and the individual on the nozzle just can't help it. They see fire and they have to put water on the fire, even if it's going into a window with companies advancing from the opposite side. It looked to me like a stream came out of the interior of the building, like an engine was working forward. Just a guess.

Forum Member

Where did they get those ugly helmets from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    Where did they get those ugly helmets from?
    If you watch the extended version, you see them beat up some phone repairmen and steal their helmets before they go to the roof.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good job.

Gotta get that hose away from that guy to resist the temptation of spaying water. It was clear there was a crew working on the inside with the shot of water that came out.

If that happened to me and my crew inside, I would find that guy and "educate" him.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

It looks hot in there

Nice work...clean and efficient.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Truckie

I thought it was well done. If that was a training scenario, it was well planned and executed. Proper ppe, well coordinated and executed. Done slow and concise with proper supervision.
    They should be commended for having the balls to do live burn training in the first place. Let alone allowing the crews to get up on the roof for training.
    As far as the line into the window, don't know. But if I was my live burn training and that line caused the fire to darken. Allowing the crews to finish the training evolution, I'm all for it.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Very nice video. We are just doing roof ventilation in our Skills class and was just shown the louver cut to open a roof. Do you generally need to cut down the entire length of the roof though?

Truckie

Gaius,

In most cases no. We try to go to the highest point above the fire and open up at least 1 4x4 hole. In my district we have many 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 stories with large dormers. Depending on the construction and fire spread, the only place we cut maybe on that dormer.
    From watching the video, and I'm only speculating, I believe they used that roof as a training prop. Hence the full "trench cut" evolution.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Looks like a strategic defensive move to me. trenching the common attic of a garden style apt. Timely and effective.

another variation on this technique uses the ridgevent and saves a few cuts.

if you pull the ridgevent and expose the trusses, you can run the saw right down the truss bay on either side and the roof boards will simply fall in because they are laye horizontally butt to butt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Both gentlemen LeatherHed4Life and SPFDRum are correct.

We would try to use the ridgevent as well if possible. I am guessing they cut this one just for training.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

So, once you download this video, you can only watch it on an iPOD or iPHONE???

I downloaded the video and tried to open it with windows media player. It did not work. Just wondering if I am missing something....(besides an iPOD)

Forum Member

As far as the line into the window, don't know.
    The interior crew may have been in a different compartment separated from the main body of fire by a block wall, which is a good place to make the type of trench cut these guys did to cut off extension via an open attic.

Forum Member

I downloaded the video and tried to open it with windows media player. It did not work. Just wondering if I am missing something....(besides an iPOD)
    The VLC media player will handle it.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by resQengine View Post
    So, once you download this video, you can only watch it on an iPOD or iPHONE???

Worked perfoect for me with Windows Medica Player. Do a right-click-save and open it on your desktop.

Thread Information