Default The "Bradstock" Jump Squats: For power not Bulk

I have been a personal trainer for over 20 years, have trained numerous Olympic Gold Medalists, World Champions and World Record Holders. I am a two time Olympian and two time World Record holder ( in the javelin throw ). I was born with spina bifida, am now 46 and am still competing. I have never had any back or knee surgery. This is the only lower body weight exercise I do.

YouTube video link:

The "Bradstock" Jump Squat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPUN1C7V3B0

I have never told any of my clients to do this exercise or shown any of my athletes what I do. I have found it is an amazinlgly effective exercise for building explosive power without bulking or tightening up?

I believe this exercise would be great for buiding strength and endurance especially for firefighters. I would not recomend as much weight as I use but the exercise itself is great - I would recommend much lighter weight and more reps for you guys.

Just something I wanted to share.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roald62 View Post
    I have never told any of my clients to do this exercise or shown any of my athletes what I do.
    Sorry, the word must be out.
    There were at least 5 other videos of random people doing the same type of excercise on youTube.
    And my wife did those sqaut/jumps in College Volleyball at the UW in the mid 1990's.

Good excercise though, it's always nice to add a new excercise to a routine!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default You have a point, Mittleschmertz...

It's hard to find an idea or an exercise that someone hasn't also thought of. I like to think of it as "great minds think alike!" Studies show that this has been the case since the dawn of time. Cro-Magnon man in different areas of the world started using the same tools in the same ways at the same approximate time. And they had no way to communicate. Alexander Graham Bell and Ben Franklin weren't the only people who thought of the phone/electricity at that time. But they did get credit for it.

In my experience, with the spine and it's injuries- (I have a private practice and I do some expert witnessing for legal cases on the subject) that one needs to be very careful in how one trains. I agree with Bradstock that explosive training develops power very quickly without adding needless bulk. But, force=mass x acceloration. That exercise he shows is great going up, but coming down, I don't like it. I have dealt with several cases where that kind of landing with weight on the spine has resulted in Immediate frank disc protrusions, end plate fractures, and subsequent internal disc disruptions (sharpey's fiber rupture) that lead to disc protrustions and prolapses later.

Don't get me wrong, I value free bar squats, just not jumping ones, due to the landing and the harm I have seen that stuff do.

I do agree with explosive training for lower body, but I would do it on the decline leg press. There's a pic here (scroll down): http://www.girlslax.org/circuit_training_girls.html
    (I know the web site's for lacrosse, but it's a pic) Scroll down until you see decline leg press.

Here's how it works: Lower the weight on a count of 6, and explode up to a straight, but not locked or hyperextended position. Repeat.
    Start light, and work up. Many people cannot do these weights. I am just using my training as an example. I start with one 45 lb. plate on each side, and do 20 reps. Each set, I add a 45 to each side, and drop reps by 2 at first and by 4 later in the sets. By the end, I am only doing 4 reps... and yes, 7-8 plates/side. My range of motion starts out full gets smaller with more weight, yes, like in that youtube video, but not smaller than his.

Free bar squats, core work and weight vest training are necessary to train your core for wearing and SCBA. But, please don't jump with them on!

Just more thoughts on the subject...

Dr. jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 05-14-2008 at 12:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Wow

Interesting training modality, as DJmilus said, not new.

I do have a few issues
    1) if Force is a product of work and displacement of the object and Power is a product of F and velocity, how much force is really being produced if the movement is relatively a short distance and the velocity isn't that great. Yes it is alot of weight but
    2) how does that translate to actual real world performance? We all know the theory of specificity: the body will adapt itself to the forces exerted on it. In many modes of training overall human performance is decreased due to too much muscle mass, decreased ROM due to limited range in training. Performance efficiency is a balance between RELATIVE muscular strength/power/endurance, ROM and coordination.

In our facility we train for functional strength, when we do weight training it is combined with a series of overall body movement training to increase performance efficiency. For every high demand exercise there are negatives that can occur (compensatory movements, stabilization of joints especially when approaching failure) that must be countered and the body rebalanced to insure efficiency of performance. An example would be an thlete that overtrains for size and has lack of ROM/coordination. He looks strong but can't translate that into dynamic movement very efficiency.

I agree with the doc, this training is VERY dangerous and has way more possible negatives and risk of injury compared to the gains that can be trained in a variety of safer ways. I won't say not to do it, just be careful of who and when it is done

O Gomez PT/PFT/FF
    www.adapttraining.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good points, OGomez

That guy doing that exercise never, ever suggested doing the weight he was doing. He actually stated that he had never told anyone to do it. My only point was, if you do this kind of stuff, you really need to use the overload principal and work up to it... for years sometimes!

What is safe for some is over the top nuts for others. The secret is knowing our limits.

Thank you, OGomez, as always, for your valuable, well thought out answer! Great to hear from you!!!

Take Care!

Dr. Jen

Thread Information