Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-One Bronto

Forum Member

Post E-One Bronto

A few fire departments here in central New Jersey have in service and are ordering new Bronto aerials to replace older trucks. I have seen one in person and they seem to need a half of a " football field " to set up there outriggers and to raise and swing the boom to move out the bucket or platform to extend towards a building, and watch out for those overhead wires. It seems to have almost the same type of manueverable problems that the old " Snorkels " had !
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 12-07-2008 at 05:21 PM.

It seems to have the same type of problems that the old " Snorkels " had !
    Having spent time with both....Nope. 2 different animals, 2 different sets of issues.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Having spent time with both....Nope. 2 different animals, 2 different sets of issues.
    your right about being to different animals, with the Bronto having a much better " extended reach " than the Snorkel apparatus. They are slowly fading away from the fire service, Philly, has a few and South Amboy, NJ still has one mounted on a Seagrave chassis !
    Last edited by WoodbridgeFFII; 05-12-2008 at 12:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks something like our T-Rex, the first of which set foot on US soil yesterday at the Port of Baltimore. The biggest difference is that like the Raptor Aerial the T-Rex is fully automatic with the ability to short-jack in close quarters. The Baby Rex (B-32) which we sell in the rest of the world is a neat articulating platform that fits about anywhere and tops out at 36,000#

The enclosed pics are the Baby Rex.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Post Nice Truck, T Rex

what is the ( O.A.L.) of the T-Rex and estimated price tag here in the U.S.A. ?

We rechassied a Pitman 75' Snorkle in 1991 and finally replaced it in 2005. Snorkles work well in some areas....my area is not one of them.

Brick, NJ has a Bronto at one of their stations. Works well.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We rechassied a Pitman 75' Snorkle in 1991 and finally replaced it in 2005. Snorkles work well in some areas....my area is not one of them.

Brick, NJ has a Bronto at one of their stations. Works well.
    The E-one bronto looks like a very well built apparatus, but I don't like the location of the waterway & ladder ! JMO

Forum Member

Some issues popped up with a few local Fire Departments up my way, certain late model Bronto's have had issues with braking components, failures have even occurred on these particular apparatus.....

Be cautious on final inspection of the vehicles have your EVT spend some extra time on this area!

MembersZone Subscriber

Woody,

Under 41 feet and at this time I don't have a clue what they will sell for in the States. This was built specifically for the North American Market.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our neghiboring town has one that was purchased under impact fees $800k+. The rig has an insane outrigger spread which has basically made it useless to respond in anything other than the wider streets in the residential area or commercial / industrial areas. We have changed our box cards to replace them with their engine rather than the truck.

We all know about the ability to short jack and we drill with them often, but the urban streets and parking on both sides really cuts down the areas to work.

Forum Member

Default Baby Rex

Red Baron - a very interesting looking rig - tell us more - is that a Spartan Chassis - difficult to tell from rear angle shot. Will it be at Harrisburg?

Forum Member

Those pictures are of a B32, like Tony said, and it's on an european chassis. The one landed here is on a Rosenabuer Commander (Spartan) chassis and is headed for Alberta.

MembersZone Subscriber

SIMB,

T-REX will not stop at Expo, our Canadian customer has been very gracious waiting for us to make the North American Conversion and we don't want to lose a day in completeing the job. My Boss Steffen flew it before it left Karlsruhe and says it is as quick and smoothe as a Raptor. The chassis in the photo is a Mercedes Econic, a nice cab but a little snug for us normal size people, mutants like T.C. think there in a Ball Room. This unit is owned by a private on site fire department which gives a hint towards the manueverability of the rig. For those of you who have been to Interschutz our PA Dealer (East Penn Fire) is trying to create a little of that experience by offering the hands on demo off site after show hours. Hopefully we will get a chance to meet 807 and some of the other guys on this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

YOU think you're gonna get 807 NEAR a WORKING Metz? You're a funny man Tony.By the way,nice leather coat,hehe T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-13-2008 at 09:29 AM.

Forum Member

I agree. The jack spread on a Snorkel is much more narrow than most aerials since it uses stabilizers in an "A" configuration. When operating a Snorkel, it pays to have eyes in the back of your head; you must be ever-mindful of the articulating boom behind you.

The maximum horizontal reach of an 85-foot Snorkel is 44'6" (at a 90 degree right angle). Your horizontal reach decreases the further you move away from that angle.

The Bronto seems more versatile but requires a lot of width for set up.

C6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    your right about being to different animals, with the Bronto having a much better " extended reach " than the Snorkel apparatus. They are slowly fading away from the fire service, Philly, has a few and South Amboy, NJ still has one mounted on a Seagrave chassis !
    If you know of anyone in the market for a 1988 85-foot Snorkel, there will be one listed on www.govdeals.com within the next month. PM me for details.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    Last time I checked, St. Joseph, Missouri, still had their mid 1990s Pierce-Snorkel in service out of their headquarters station (Station 1).

I would hate to see these puppies out to pasture. I grew up about a mile from the plant that built them in St. Joesph.
    Last edited by MMFireBuff; 05-13-2008 at 12:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Craig, Colorado bought the 2nd T-Rex. It's right at 41 feet long and sold for under $930,000. The Bronto bid was about $1.1 million.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MMFireBuff View Post
    Last time I checked, St. Joseph, Missouri, still had their mid 1990s Pierce-Snorkel in service out of their headquarters station (Station 1).

I would hate to see these puppies out to pasture. I grew up about a mile from the plant that built them in St. Joesph.
    That would have to be one of the last ones manufactured.

There have only been 6 Snorkel units manufactured since 1998. The last one was manufactured in 2001 or 2002.

Ours is a 1988 Grumman w/ Duplex LFD cab and chassis. A photo was was in their printed brochure for a couple of years.

C6
    Last edited by Command6; 05-13-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Forum Member

Post To: Command6

What make and model aerial apparatus is taking the place of your old Snorkel ?

Thread Information