Default IFD Current Hiring

Any good rumors about when IFD will start their next recruit class? I was told late May or early June, but I have not heard anything yet.

Forum Member

I just heard the other day that the interim chief said he wanted it started on June 9th.

MembersZone Subscriber

The paper work for the potential recruits is being evaluated by the PERF board. Usually takes several weeks. Chief Sanford did say that they anticipate the class 77 to start on June 9th. Today he said that the recruit class will be doing their PT at Golds Gym. I would assume the one on E. Washington street. I'm pretty sure the academy will be at 501 Post road.

Thanks guys. So, I don't expect you to identify yourself and I appreciate your response. Let's say on a scale of 10 ( 10 being the highest reliability ) how reliable do you consider your information to be?

MembersZone Subscriber

I can say my info is a 10. Granted the admin can say one thing and do another. So don't hold me responsible for that. My info comes directly from my IFD employee e-mail.

By the way I'm a sub on the B-shift, so I was in your shoes not so long ago. I was hired in 2006

Thanks again. While we're on the subject, how are things going without Greeson? What is the majority opinion about the change? Are some of the guys still beating up the absorbed members from other departments for a situation that is completely out of their control?

Stay safe brothers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Things seem to be going well. Of course interim chiefs are only able to do so much. Hopefully we will know who the new chief is soon. As for the merger departments, things are better. As time passes and more firefighters move to other stations, people will get to know each other better. It's not as bad as some have blown it up to be.

I have head that the letters for who is starting on June 9th have gone out. Anyone on here want to say if you are one of the lucky ones?
    Last edited by zcam630; 05-27-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Forum Member

I just got my letter on Saturday!!! Class starts June 9th at 7. Congrats to the other 25, I'll see you soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

To those who are starting on June 9th, congratulation and good luck. I'm sure you have heard this before but this was stressed to my recruit class. "If your early your on time, if your on time your late." It never hurts to be there 30-45 minutes early. This academy may be in a location you are not familiar with and no one can ever predict Indy traffic.

Thanks for all the replies. The I have also confirmed that the class will start on June 9th. Congrats to the candidates/recruits.

Forum Member

Default I'm number 26

I just finished my Med exam and psychological evaluation last week and will be joining class 77 hopefully on June 16th as long as there is no problems with Perf. I got the call last friday and can't wait. Are we still doing PT at Golds Mon, Wed, Fri, for the six weeks of EMS? Then Mon-Fri for the rest of the Academy?

Forum Member

How does it work with PERF? Do you get a letter from PERF stating that you are in or do you just get notified from the dept??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MHillsFA View Post
    I just finished my Med exam and psychological evaluation last week and will be joining class 77 hopefully on June 16th as long as there is no problems with Perf. I got the call last friday and can't wait. Are we still doing PT at Golds Mon, Wed, Fri, for the six weeks of EMS? Then Mon-Fri for the rest of the Academy?

Congratulations. Will look forward to meeting you and the rest of the recruits when you hit the streets.

Forum Member

Default Uniforms

Any other recruits from class 77 find anything in the pockets of your Turnout Gear? I had several things in it. ie safty glasses, hat, one glove, and a door stop. Think I should bring them when I "hopefully" start on the sixteenth? Does anyone think/know if they would have me come for all the uniform issue if I wasn't going to get passed the PERF board? All my Med/Psyc should be back today or tomorrow. I didn't have any problems w/ the Med and the psyc seemed to go well.

P.S. How about all that folding?

Forum Member

Default 25?

Does anyone know what the status of the recruit that didn't come last night(Monday)? Does that knock him/her out of the academy? Think they will fill that spot with another recruit or leave it empty? Also, is it recommended to turn our uniforms inside out to wash them to keep the letters in better shape?
    Congrats to all the recruits I met last night! I am extremely excited about the academy! I look forward to getting to know all of you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Words of Advice

You can take it or leave it. It is what it is.

Make sure you are always early, 30min or so. Always have ALL your gear and clothing no matter what. You will be living out of your car your first 3-5 years on the job, so keep it all with you. Never have cell phones or pagers on you. KEEP THEM IN YOUR CAR. Be the first to offer to help and the last to leave. Yes, wash your printed clothing inside out and make sure and check what is cotton and what is not. Never wash your department clothing with your personal or families clothing. There are lots of things that you do not want to come in contact with your kids clothes. GET LOTS OF SLEEP, you will need it. It will be tough, but you want this badly, right. Stay the course. Curb the drinking. You get a DUI/DWI you can kiss it all good bye. HAVE FUN. Get in the habit of always telling your loved ones that you love them, every morning.

This is a BROTHERHOOD. Look out for each other. Create a phone list. In fact an idea from my class. Partner up with another recruit and each morning call each other to make sure the other is up and going. DONT'T BE LATE. The friendships you create starting June 9th are ones that you will have for the rest of your career. Congratulations to all of you and good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MHillsFA View Post
    Any other recruits from class 77 find anything in the pockets of your Turnout Gear? I had several things in it. ie safty glasses, hat, one glove, and a door stop. Think I should bring them when I "hopefully" start on the sixteenth? Does anyone think/know if they would have me come for all the uniform issue if I wasn't going to get passed the PERF board? All my Med/Psyc should be back today or tomorrow. I didn't have any problems w/ the Med and the psyc seemed to go well.

P.S. How about all that folding?

Anything that has been issued to you so far, make sure you have it. They may do an inspection your first day, who knows. Don't get caught not having ALL your gear.

Forum Member

Default Class 77

I spoke with Captain on friday and he told me that I passed the Med and Psyc eval and that the pension doc would review and hopefully get everything to the PERF board either late today (mon) or first thing Tuesday morning. He spoke with the PERF board and they need 3 days to get it back, so I should be there first thing Monday the 16th. Anyone know how today went? that's a really good idea about calling a buddy! I will do that for sure. I am expecting the first few days to be even harder since I will miss a week. I am still going this Wed for a physical evaluation. I think that is what it is going to be. Anyone know what is involved in that? I don't want to burn myself out with my work outs tomorrow if its going to be difficult. I am very excited about next Monday! Thanks to everyone for the advice, support, and guidance!

Forum Member

Today went great. We got sworn in this morning by Chief Sanford, then filled out a bunch of paperwork and went over some basic things like introductions and chain of command. With your military background you should be fine on that. This week, from how I understand it, is mainly an orientation week. Aside from learning some names, I don't think you'll be that far behind us come next Monday. They said this Wednesday will be a full day of pt, and Thursday there will be some more paperwork. Send me a message with any more questions and I'll try to keep you up to speed.

Forum Member

Default Academy

Riverton1-
    Thanks for the heads up. I know they don't want me missing any of the EMT classes, nor do I but I some medical backgound and previous EMT training so I don't think it will break me. I spoke with Captain Fidel-(spell??) today and he told me more about tomorrow. I will be the only one in civi's tomorrow so you will be able to pick me out pretty easily. How is the attitude of the other cadets? Have the instructors been pretty hard on you guys? I hope I have gotten in good enough shape! I have to go back and exchange my pt shorts and sweats. Even after washing them on high heat they are way to big. Quartermaster said he will be there the rest of the wk. Let me know if you want to start a study group. My wife is a great cook. Im on the west side of town.
    Look forward to meeting you tomorrow just say hey.

Stay Healthy

How are things going after a few weeks? Hope you guys are holding up well.

Thread Information