55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Hmmmm..........

Quote Originally Posted by FF2426 View Post
    Mr. Wendt i wouldn't call this an epidemic. The story you just posted seems like drunken stupidity (like hey what will happen if we do this or hey yall watch this), where as the original story is just plain stupidity (like I don't likethis kid and I'm gonna burn him).

I think there was a "Tongue-in-Cheek" inflection here............

Even so, Twice is Too many. We had a case here a couple of years ago where the "Boyfriend" allegedly entered the "Girlfriend's" place of employment and assaulted her by setting her clothes on Fire...... ("Allegedly" is due to the Case not being settled yet)
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Lightbulb hate crime

True. This incident was neither a joke nor was it in any stretch of the imagination funny. It was assault. it was battery. It was attempted manslaughter. But we need to tread very lightly on the whole Hate Crime issue. If just because it was a crime against someone different then there is a precedent. Then next time a white man assaults an african american or hispanic, a african american or hispanic assaults a white man, a man assaults a woman or the other way around. Arguably enough if anyone wrongs a homosexual then they will be hit with a Hate crime charge and that's Federal. Hard Federal time in a Federal prison for something, that in this case should be a felony. Not every case as I laid out earlier would be a felony but if pushed could be seen as a Hate Crime and therefore a Federal felony.

Again. This case is very disturbing. It is a felony, but us as rational thinking adults need to see where labeling it Hate Crime can lead to very frivelous prosecutions for things that otherwise may be misdemeanors.

Just a thought. You can crucify me here or send a scathing Email to mtkroush@yahoo.com
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    True. This incident was neither a joke nor was it in any stretch of the imagination funny. It was assault. it was battery. It was attempted manslaughter. But we need to tread very lightly on the whole Hate Crime issue. If just because it was a crime against someone different then there is a precedent. Then next time a white man assaults an african american or hispanic, a african american or hispanic assaults a white man, a man assaults a woman or the other way around. Arguably enough if anyone wrongs a homosexual then they will be hit with a Hate crime charge and that's Federal. Hard Federal time in a Federal prison for something, that in this case should be a felony. Not every case as I laid out earlier would be a felony but if pushed could be seen as a Hate Crime and therefore a Federal felony.

Again. This case is very disturbing. It is a felony, but us as rational thinking adults need to see where labeling it Hate Crime can lead to very frivelous prosecutions for things that otherwise may be misdemeanors.

Just a thought. You can crucify me here or send a scathing Email to mtkroush@yahoo.com
    I'm not going to crucify you. But have you noticed that EVERY TIME a white assaults a black, it is a hate crime? Have you noticed that EVERY TIME a black assaults a white that there is no evidence of a hate crime? The issue you raise is called a double standard.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

You know, if the kid had quietly put out his turban, then walked over to the guy who lit it and beat the ***** out of him, none of this "outrage" would have happened.
    Zero tolerance rears it's ugly head again.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Thank you George. That was not exactly my intent to raise the race issue as it pertains to evidence of hate crimes. I do agree that there is a disproportionate amount of charges White on Black as it is Black on White but it don't matter. My point was we just need to be careful where we throw Hate Crime around. It will get to the point where everytime someone wrongs one who is not like them it will be called Hate Crime and the Federal prisons will be overflowing with people who didn't even need to be in County lock up.
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MTKROUSH View Post
    Thank you George. That was not exactly my intent to raise the race issue as it pertains to evidence of hate crimes. I do agree that there is a disproportionate amount of charges White on Black as it is Black on White but it don't matter. My point was we just need to be careful where we throw Hate Crime around. It will get to the point where everytime someone wrongs one who is not like them it will be called Hate Crime and the Federal prisons will be overflowing with people who didn't even need to be in County lock up.
    Oh, believe me, I agree with you. I do not like the idea of hate crimes unless there is something that borders on a civil rights violation occurring.

I just thought it was an interesting twist to the debate to show the disparity we have been discussing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some other dude musta done it.

Hightstown student pleads not guilty in turban incident

HIGHTSTOWN, N.J. (AP) -- A Hightstown high school senior accused of setting fire to a student's turban pleaded not guilty to aggravated assault, bias intimidation and criminal mischief charges.

Neither Garrett Green nor his lawyer commented after leaving Municipal Court.

Police added the bias intimidation and aggravated assault counts Wednesday.

Authorities say the senior torched the 16-year-old's turban during a fire drill last week. The junior, who is a member of the Sikh (seek) faith, was singed but not seriously hurt.

Green is banned from the school and is receiving home instruction. The 18-year-old is not allowed to attend the prom or graduation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Some other dude musta done it.
    Probably that same dude that keeps dropping his dope in other folk's cars just before a traffic stop.

Thread Information