MembersZone Subscriber

Default This is not funny

This is really not funny. The victim could have been seriously injured.

Student's turban is set afire at school
    Sikh junior's hair singed and senior, 18, is charged
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008
    BY JEFF DIAMANT
    Star-Ledger Staff
    A routine fire drill at Hightstown High School in Mercer County turned terrifying for one student.

As students gathered outside on school grounds one morning last week, someone came up behind a 16-year-old junior, a member of the Sikh faith, and allegedly set the boy's turban on fire.

His hair was singed in several places, but he was otherwise unhurt, according to his uncle, Harjot Pannu.

"He felt like a bee stung him, and he patted on it," said Pannu. "Next thing he knew, a teacher came over and told him he was on fire."

An 18-year-old Hightstown senior, Garrett Green, was arrested hours later and charged with arson and criminal mischief, said Ben Miller, an investigator with the Hightstown Police Department.

"I was very angry and very upset and very mad initially, I could not even think straight," said the victim's mother, Sukjhot Kaur, who asked that her son's name not be printed. "The fact that something like this could have happened is beyond comprehension, especially in this day and age with the diversity we have and the way we are taught ... There should never be any fear of violence."

More than a quarter-million Sikhs live in the United States, according to an attorney with the Sikh Coalition in New York, Harsimran Kaur (no relation to Sukjhot). Since 9/11, there have been at least 600 reported bias incidents against Sikhs in this country, he said, including one homicide in Arizona.

New Jersey is home to one of the five largest populations of Sikhs in the nation, with somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 residing here, according to Kaur.

"Sikhs are visibly identifiable as being different because most Sikh men wear a turban," said the coalition's lawyer, Kaur. "The only association that the general public sees with turbans is Osama bin Laden, or Middle East terrorists. Sikhs have nothing to do with terrorism. Our turban is an article of faith that's religiously mandated."

Sukjhot Kaur, whose husband died of cancer 10 years ago, works for the Postal Service and she and her son live with her brother, Harjot Pannu, in East Windsor.

"I spoke to the cop who went out there and the cop told me the teacher didn't take it seriously," said Pannu. "She thought it was a prank. To me it is not a prank. It is life-threatening."

Ronald Bolandi, superintendent of East Windsor schools, did not return calls.

"The sad thing is that kids in school are not protected," said Harsimran Kaur. "Kids in school are subject to the same types of bias we see in the community at large. In New Jersey, there have been several incidents that have been quite bad."

In September 2006, Lucille Davy, then-acting commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Education, issued a memorandum to all school administrators and principals regarding bullying and harassment of ethnic groups.

"It has come to my attention that in recent years our nation's Sikh-American community has suffered numerous incidents of violence and discrimination," she wrote. "Unfortunately, too many mistakenly associate the Sikh articles of faith, in particular the turban, with terrorism. These acts of discrimination impact Sikh students in New Jersey's public schools."

Davy cited incidents of taunting, and two assaults on middle school students. One student's parents withdrew their son from the school, she wrote, and sent him back to his native England to complete his education.

Sukjhot Kaur's son, however, returned to Hightstown High School the following day.

"He's doing better," she said yesterday. "He's coming to terms with it."
    I would have charged him with Agg. Assault as well.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

No kidding. That was NOT funny ha ha or even smiley funny. I have a thought as to how much "discipline" will be metted out, but will refrain because I'm pretty sure it will be light at best. Also think that the school staff need some diversification education and a good lecture on school yard bullies. There are a couple of other suggested courses too, but they escape me at the moment.

Forum Member

Never have I ever heard of something so disgusting in my life, this is a cheap ridiculous joke.... I hope attempted murder charges are applied in this case!

This is not funny, I really hope discipline is handed down!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    Never have I ever heard of something so disgusting in my life, this is a cheap ridiculous joke.... I hope attempted murder charges are applied in this case!

This is not funny, I really hope discipline is handed down!
    Under NJ law, there is no way you could prove a case for Criminal Attempt Murder. Aggravated Assault would be the appropriate charge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    Never have I ever heard of something so disgusting in my life,
    You must live in a very beautiful world, then.

It was a ****ty thing to do and the boy needs his *** whupped and then some, but Attempted murder charges? Juvie time, public service and public apology plus a meeting with a Sikh to explain the religion, but attempted murder? Was he trying to kill the kid?

Which brings up another question: Why should you suffer less consequences for attempted murder? It makes no sense. If the crime is attempted but failed, the penalty should be the same as for the succesful criminal. Incompetence on the part of the criminal or toughness on the part of the victim has nothing to do with the intent of the criminal. A guy who fails to kill his victim is not really less of a problem for society than a guy who kills his victim.

MembersZone Subscriber

the crime is attempted but failed, the penalty should be the same as for the succesful criminal.
    In NJ, it is.

MembersZone Subscriber

They could easily tag on agg Batt they also might be able to get the little F**KER with a hate crime as well. (IL Law not sure anywhere else)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF2426 View Post
    They could easily tag on agg Batt they also might be able to get the little F**KER with a hate crime as well. (IL Law not sure anywhere else)
    Hate crimes are liberal, fuzzy, feel good nonsense. Don't you suppose that ALL crimes of violence are hate crimes?

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Hate crimes are liberal, fuzzy, feel good nonsense. Don't you suppose that ALL crimes of violence are hate crimes?
    I agree. You certainly don't hear of a lot of love crimes... I loved him so much, he had to die!

MembersZone Subscriber

Under NJ law, there is no way you could prove a case for Criminal Attempt Murder. Aggravated Assault would be the appropriate charge.
    Same in Canada...

I agree with George, in an attempted murder charge, how could you prove intent?

What's legal age in that state? In Canada, he would be charged as an adult and in Qc he could also vote for our next gov...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RDL210 View Post
    Same in Canada...

I agree with George, in an attempted murder charge, how could you prove intent?

What's legal age in that state? In Canada, he would be charged as an adult and in Qc he could also vote for our next gov...
    He's 18. He's in the major league, now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I know it is a liberal Bullhockey charge but sometimes it gets the job done in getting tougher punishments handed out.

If I remember correctly from my one of my CJ classes last year it can be charged in acts of violence or vandalism against a person or property whether it be based on race, religous views or (cant remember the PC word) Sexual Prefrence (there are a few more that go with it but I can't remember them).

This act that the 18 year old committed could constitute a hate crime charge.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I know it is a liberal Bullhockey charge but sometimes it gets the job done in getting tougher punishments handed out.

If I remember correctly from my one of my CJ classes last year it can be charged in acts of violence or vandalism against a person or property whether it be based on race, religous views or (cant remember the PC word) Sexual Prefrence (there are a few more that go with it but I can't remember them).

This act that the 18 year old committed could constitute a hate crime charge.
    Several years ago, the President was taking heat because of a murder case in TX that the Dems thought should have been charged as a hate crime. The penalty he received for the murder was death. But somehow they were being insensitive because they did not charge a hate crime. Go figure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    You must live in a very beautiful world, then.

It was a ****ty thing to do and the boy needs his *** whupped and then some, but Attempted murder charges? Juvie time, public service and public apology plus a meeting with a Sikh to explain the religion, but attempted murder? Was he trying to kill the kid?

Which brings up another question: Why should you suffer less consequences for attempted murder? It makes no sense. If the crime is attempted but failed, the penalty should be the same as for the succesful criminal. Incompetence on the part of the criminal or toughness on the part of the victim has nothing to do with the intent of the criminal. A guy who fails to kill his victim is not really less of a problem for society than a guy who kills his victim.
    Well, it really isn't the worst thing I have ever seen. However, it seemed appropriate at the moment, I do live in a beautiful world, it's multicultural!

Regardless of where you live this is really sick! You made a real quality point a criminal is a criminal.... to sum that up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Several years ago, the President was taking heat because of a murder case in TX that the Dems thought should have been charged as a hate crime. The penalty he received for the murder was death. But somehow they were being insensitive because they did not charge a hate crime. Go figure.
    Thats a democrat for you though......... I had an instructor a few years ago tell me that the only use that the charge of hate crime has is to stiffen the sentence for someone who otherwise could of got away with misdemeanor punishment. He said that years ago when he was a police chief of a small town there was a big problem with some local hoodlums spray painting buildings. It wasn't gang related or anything like that, just dumb kids who though it was cool. They were caught a few times but only would get a slap on the wrist. One night though he caught them spray painting "Jesus Sucks" on the back of a church. Well he talked to the district attorney who had just been elected about all the times that these kids had been caught before and how they keep getting let go. The DA went and charged them with the hate crime and all but one of the boys did 9 months in jail plus probabtion.

Permanently Removed

you cant charge him with agg. batt. because he didnt deprive the kid of a member of his body

Forum Member

I think that would be 2nd assault here in NY, assault with a dangerous weapon (fire) . Which would be like I dont know 12-20 YEARS, its also a hate crime and you dont want THAT attached to your charges!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question George??............

Was this the one where some yahoos dragged a guy behind a pickup??
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Was this the one where some yahoos dragged a guy behind a pickup??
    Yeah, I think so. Death penalty seemed kind of appropriate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like it might be an epidemic here.

Ocean Twp man admits setting N.Y. teen on fire during party
    by George Berkin/The Star-Ledger
    Tuesday May 13, 2008, 6:20 PM
    A 21-year-old Ocean Township man accused of setting another man on fire during a party in Allenhurst two years ago pleaded guilty today to second-degree aggravated assault, authorities said.

Nicholas Winter entered the plea before a Superior Court judge in Monmouth County as part of a plea agreement, Prosecutor Luis Valentin said.

As a result of the plea, the county prosecutor's office will recommend Winter be sentenced July 11 to three years in state prison, Valentin said. He will be required to serve 85 percent of that term.

Winter has remained free on $270,000 bail.

The plea stems from a June 9, 2006, incident on Corlies Avenue in Allenhurst, Valentin said. According to the prosecutor, Winter poured half the contents of a 750 mL bottle of grain alcohol onto the victim. He then struck a cigarette lighter at close range, causing the alcohol to ignite, Valentin added. The motive for the attack was not disclosed.

The victim, a 19-year-old man from Hauppauge, N.Y., was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune before being transferred to St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. His name was withheld because he is the victim of a crime.

The victim was treated for second-degree burns to his neck and upper left shoulder, Valentin said. The burns caused extensive scarring.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like it might be an epidemic here.

Mr. Wendt i wouldn't call this an epidemic. The story you just posted seems like drunken stupidity (like hey what will happen if we do this or hey yall watch this), where as the original story is just plain stupidity (like I don't likethis kid and I'm gonna burn him).

MembersZone Subscriber

New fallout

Turban fracas comes to a head
    Student dismissed, must face judge in Hightstown
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008
    BY CARMEN CUSIDO
    HIGHTSTOWN -- A Hightstown High School senior who allegedly set a fire that singed a Sikh student's headpiece has been dismissed from school, and all his privileges -- including attending the prom and walking at the graduation ceremony -- have been re voked, according to the regional district superintendent's office.

Taking action in a case that has drawn national media attention, the school district reported it im posed "the most severe penalty against the perpetrator" after conducting an extensive evaluation, according to a release.

Superintendent of Schools Ronald Bolandi said that Garrett Green, 18, arrested by Hightstown police and charged with arson and criminal mischief last week, will not be allowed back in school. Green will have home instruction because the district is still required to teach him, but he is banned from the prom and from walking on stage at the June 19 graduation, and "any other privileges throughout the rest of the year," Bolandi said. He said he did not know if Green has been accepted to college.

Bolandi spoke to administrators at the high school and made the decision following the May 5 inci dent that occurred during a fire drill, where Green allegedly set fire to a "patka" -- a small version of a full turban -- that a 16-year-old male student at the high school was wearing. A teacher had told the victim, a junior, he was on fire and helped put it out. Other than a few scorched pieces of hair, the victim was unhurt, according to his uncle, Harjot Pannu.

The high school administration, Green and his parents are scheduled to meet today regarding the district's decision to dismiss him. Green also is scheduled to appear before Judge Gregory Williams, a substitute judge at the Hightstown municipal court, today at 6 p.m. It was unknown whether he has re tained a lawyer.

Bolandi said the students did not know each other prior to the incident, but that Green has had disciplinary infractions in the past, though "nothing of this magni tude."

Pannu, who lives in East Windsor with his nephew and his sister Sukjhot Kaur, the boy's mother, said it was up to the school to decide how to discipline Green and had no comment about his dismissal.

"I have nothing against the child, but what he did was definitely wrong," Pannu said yesterday, adding, "Teachers and stu dents should be taught about the different faiths, different cultures. We are a diverse society and we should know about other people."

Last week, the victim's family reached out to the Sikh Coalition in New York, which put out a press release Monday expressing outrage over the incident.

Harsimran Kaur (no relation to Sukhjot), a staff attorney at the Sikh Coalition of New York, said the coalition has reached out to the school and police "to make sure they understand the bigger context."

Harsimran Kaur has said New Jersey is home to one of the five largest populations of Sikhs in the nation, with somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 residing here.

"Sikhs have borne the brunt of bias since the Sept. 11 attacks be cause of people's misperceptions about our faith," Harsimran Kaur said.

Bolandi said the district will work with the Sikh Coalition in developing a statement about the religious significance of the turban, and why the Sikh community was upset over this incident.

"A prepared statement will be read to students at all homerooms and have a dialogue on it, and ex plain to the student body what the significance of a turban is. ... We are very culturally diverse. Many of our students wear religious orna mentation to school," Bolandi said yesterday.

At a board of education meet ing Monday where news of the inci dent was made public, Bolandi called it "an absolutely unbelievable, senseless act."

To create cultural and religious awareness, the district moved its annual "Unity Day" from the end of June to last Friday to celebrate the diversity of the high school's approximately 1,400 students. Still, the incident has captured the attention of the national media, and a local politician has weighed in.

Assemblywoman Caroline Casa grande, R-Freehold, whose district includes Hightstown and East Windsor, sent a letter to Mercer County Prosecutor Joseph J. Bocchini late yesterday afternoon requesting the office "empanel a grand jury and present an indictment for first-degree intimidation."

Casagrande said children should feel safe to wear whatever religious article they want to wear. "What happened to this young gentleman is inexcusable. It went beyond arson and beyond criminal mischief. It was a clear case of bias intimidation for this child, and that charge is more than appropriate for this inci dent," said Casagrande, who plans to reach out to the family.

Sukjhot Kaur, the victim's mother, is just thankful her son is safe, and no bodily harm was done.

"To me, it's a crime, it's not a prank. I was afraid for him going to school. I was very afraid and angry," Sukjhot Kaur said.
    BTW, she mentions charging this mope with "first degree intimidation". This is a charge that went into effect after I retired. The text is as follows:

2C:16-1. Bias Intimidation.

a.Bias Intimidation. A person is guilty of the crime of bias intimidation if he commits, attempts to commit, conspires with another to commit, or threatens the immediate commission of an offense specified in chapters 11 through 18 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes; N.J.S.2C:33-4; N.J.S.2C:39-3; N.J.S.2C:39-4 or N.J.S.2C:39-5,

(1)with a purpose to intimidate an individual or group of individuals because of race, color, religion, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or ethnicity; or

(2)knowing that the conduct constituting the offense would cause an individual or group of individuals to be intimidated because of race, color, religion, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or ethnicity; or

(3)under circumstances that caused any victim of the underlying offense to be intimidated and the victim, considering the manner in which the offense was committed, reasonably believed either that (a) the offense was committed with a purpose to intimidate the victim or any person or entity in whose welfare the victim is interested because of race, color, religion, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, or (b) the victim or the victim's property was selected to be the target of the offense because of the victim's race, color, religion, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or ethnicity.

b.Permissive inference concerning selection of targeted person or property. Proof that the target of the underlying offense was selected by the defendant, or by another acting in concert with the defendant, because of race, color, religion, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or ethnicity shall give rise to a permissive inference by the trier of fact that the defendant acted with a purpose to intimidate an individual or group of individuals because of race, color, religion, gender, handicap, sexual orientation, or ethnicity.

c.Grading. Bias intimidation is a crime of the fourth degree if the underlying offense referred to in subsection a. is a disorderly persons offense or petty disorderly persons offense. Otherwise, bias intimidation is a crime one degree higher than the most serious underlying crime referred to in subsection a., except that where the underlying crime is a crime of the first degree, bias intimidation is a first-degree crime and the defendant upon conviction thereof may, notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (1) of subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:43-6, be sentenced to an ordinary term of imprisonment between 15 years and 30 years, with a presumptive term of 20 years

d.Gender exemption in sexual offense prosecutions. It shall not be a violation of subsection a. if the underlying criminal offense is a violation of chapter 14 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes and the circumstance specified in paragraph (1), (2) or (3) of subsection a. of this section is based solely upon the gender of the victim.

e.Merger. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:1-8 or any other provision of law, a conviction for bias intimidation shall not merge with a conviction of any of the underlying offenses referred to in subsection a. of this section, nor shall any conviction for such underlying offense merge with a conviction for bias intimidation. The court shall impose separate sentences upon a conviction for bias intimidation and a conviction of any underlying offense.
    The only way you get here is if he gets charged with Agg. Assault. The arson charge is not going to work. My guess is that they will sort this out at Grand Jury.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

WOW and thanks George for keeping up with this. Maybe some good will come of it?

Forum Member

Taking action in a case that has drawn national media attention, the school district reported it im posed "the most severe penalty against the perpetrator" after conducting an extensive evaluation, according to a release.
    unfortunately, the only reason they are taking any of this action is due to the national media attention. Otherwise, just about nothing would have happened to this person.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hate Crime punishment

Although I am not positive on this, I believe in Canada provincial or even municipal jurisdictions can make the decision regarding adding on "HateCrime" to an incident. I believe the purpose is to stiffen sentences. Unfortunately in Canada, that may just mean extended community service. Our legal system is simply totally incompetent at meting our realistic punishment fitting to the crime. Very interesting posting George. Maybe some people will cascade this out to their own communities.

Thread Information