Forum Member

Default i/o solutions / publicsafetytesting.com PERSONALITY TEST ADVICE

I've gone through the forums and searched and read everything I could find. Nothing is at all conclusive. I thought I'd throw this out there one more time in hopes that someone - somewhere might have a bit of valuable advice to give.

I've taken the I/O solutions test through publicsafetytesting.com 3 times now and recieved a 95, 77, and 92 respectively. First time I took the test I answered with the first thing that came to mind on the personality questions. Second time I only answered strongly agree or strongly disagree to the personality questions, and the third time, I was kinda half-way between the two.

I've read in many places that the ideal firefighter is a type A personality....and these personality tests say that you can't "play" them....well, aren't they shooting themselves in the foot...???....because it is a classic trait of a type A personality to try to figure something like this out and they're bound to overthink and try to "play" these answers. Thats exactly what happened to me on the second test.

Has anyone taken one of these tests and scored above a 98 that would be willing to discuss their strategy or plan...whatever...if you even had one?

I also wonder what ever happened to hiring someone off of their credentials. I have two college degrees, one in fire science...HazMat Tech, EMT...etc...etc...etc....and I can't even get an interview because a FLAWED test makes it look like I'm not very smart or don't have the right personality. I guarantee that most guys who've been in the ground pounding, trigger pulling portion of the military (specially the USMC) has the right personality to be successful in the fire service......I'm ranting!

As you can tell, I'm a little disgruntled with the I/O solutions and publicsafetytesting.com testing methods.

ANY ADVICE or direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Added note: I've seen the "Cap'n Bob" and "Cap'n Rob" posts pushing the websites trying to sell practice tests. Don't bother posting...I'm not buying it.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to throw me a bone!
    Last edited by fullback36; 05-16-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Typo's

Forum Member

Really? Not a single reply?

MembersZone Subscriber

You did not get an interview after scoring a 95 and a 92?

Forum Member

whats your email address?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFFDSUCKS View Post
    He makes a good point.

Anyhow, I replied on the testing/fitness thread.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFFDSUCKS View Post
    Nope! No interview! Sorry it took me a while to answer you...I've been out of town. I think in order to get an interview I'd need to get AT LEAST a 97...all depending on how many guys they're hiring.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by madeitin View Post
    whats your email address?
    I'd rather not post my e-mail address publicly here. I tried to send you a private message, but it didn't go through. Let me know how to get in touch with you and I'll give you my e-mail.

Thanks...

MembersZone Subscriber

In the past, this test consultant had been giving scores of 98-100% to candidates who answer either Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. However, from recent examinations across the country, it appears that they have changed the format for scoring. The individuals who are scoring 98-100% are now answering Agree or Disagree

www.fireprep.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post
    In the past, this test consultant had been giving scores of 98-100% to candidates who answer either Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree. However, from recent examinations across the country, it appears that they have changed the format for scoring. The individuals who are scoring 98-100% are now answering Agree or Disagree

www.fireprep.com

So what is the recommendation now? Agree/disagree or Strongly agree/disagree. The material I bought from fireprep a few weeks ago recommends the latter.

Here is my two cents. (And believe me that is all it is really worth) I believe that cities are having a bit of a problem with their budgets (due to energy prices being the stratosphere right now) and have decided that the attrition rate for their written test should be higher resulting in a decrease in the overall cost of the hiring process.

What I do not believe is that there is NO quantitative value assigned to the "personality" portion of the test. Here is my theory; (and believe me this is just a theory) value is assigned to that portion of the test as a whole (not to the individual question) then applied to a sliding scale, with a numerical value, of a personality profile of a "typical firefighter". That number is then substracted from the raw score of the cognitive-ability portion of the test. For example if the answers given meet 95-100% of the criteria within the personality profile of a "typical firefighter" then a number of "0" would be given and no points would be deducted from the cognitive-ability portion. If your answers to the personality portion of the test only matched 90-94% of the personality profile then, lets say, 2 points would be deducted from the congnitive-ability raw score. And so on and so forth. The beauty in this kind of testing and scoring method would be that the test maker can make any adjustment necessary to suit the needs of the client. So, when it is said that there is no right or wrong answer, it means that there is, in fact, a right or wrong answer relative to a personality profile of a "typical firefighter" that has been based on the opinion of an "exper(s)t" who has probably spent very little, if any, time in a hot firehouse. Or any firehouse for that matter.
    Last edited by medicineman; 06-05-2008 at 04:12 PM.
    That's crazy talk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    So, when it is said that there is no right or wrong answer, it means that there is, in fact, a right or wrong answer relative to a personality profile of a "typical firefighter" that has been based on the opinion of an "exper(s)t" who has probably spent very little, if any, time in a hot firehouse. Or any firehouse for that matter.
    Well put.......

Forum Member

Default I got hired

So, despite all my griping about the I/O solutions test...etc....I ended up getting hired!

Just wanted to pat myself on the back and put this thread to bed.

Good luck to all of you who are going through what I finally got through!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Congrats

Where did you end up getting hired?

I will post this for those out there trying to get hired. I took the IO solutions test for Fairfax VA. in 2006. I scored a 98 and change and I will let you know how I perceive the questions.
    Allot of people say not to read into the questions but you do need to know what they are looking for in a candidate. They don't want someone who is indecisive who cant make decisions, wont follow directions etc. From that you need to answer accordingly. I only answer questions with strongly agree/disagree if there is no doubt in the question. A simple example is a question in which the actions would cause me or someone else any type of harm (mental/physical) that is a strongly disagree. If I look at a question and I think that would be a good idea but there is a better way of going about it I choose agree, not strongly because I think its a good idea but not the best.
    I never choose neutral or the middle ground, because a Firefighter has to make a decision on everything good bad or indifferent.
    Last edited by ant195; 10-28-2008 at 12:30 PM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    Allot of people say not to read into the questions but you do need to know what they are looking for in a candidate. They don't want someone who is indecisive who cant make decisions, wont follow directions etc. From that you need to answer accordingly. I only answer questions with strongly agree/disagree if there is no doubt in the question. A simple example is a question in which the actions would cause me or someone else any type of harm (mental/physical) that is a strongly disagree. If I look at a question and I think that would be a good idea but there is a better way of going about it I choose agree, not strongly because I think its a good idea but not the best.
    I never choose neutral or the middle ground, because a Firefighter has to make a decision on everything good bad or indifferent.
    I wish I would have done it this way! I took the written here in Milwaukee and felt I did well. Then I got my letter and saw that I wasn't close to what I thought. It was all in the personality section. I answered strongly agree/disagree for every question. DO NOT DO THAT (atleast with the NFSI)! If I could tell anyone anything about that portion of the exam, it would be to NOT only use strongly agree/disagree. I learned from this mistake. Now learn from mine! What ant195 said makes a lot of sense.

Forum Member

So, I've been lurking the threads for some time now, and I'm trying to find out what kind of written score you need to get to go to oral boards, and I keep seeing threads like these. I remember signing an agreement saying I wouldn't talk about the test ever with anyone. I can't believe someone actually posted some of the questions on the internet.

I know of people who have been banned from testing from certain companies for posting advice not nearly as revealing as this thread.

I'm curious if I'm crazy to think this thread is really unethical and should be erased. I'm pretty sure though, If you need to cheat a test to pass, you're not what their looking for.

Forum Member

FullBack, Congrats!! where did you get hired? You're right about need a high score. I was bouncing between 88 and 94 with no responses. Last go-around I got 100 and even a chief's interview, but I was going into it #5 and they were only hiring 2.. so no joy yet. I just took it again for Everett and got a 97.75. God how I miss the days of the scored physical agility test....

Thread Information