MembersZone Subscriber

Default Intensive Background Investigation???

What is the difference between a background investigation and an INTENSIVE background investigation?

As a candidate gets further along in the hiring process (after passing background investigation, agility, practicals and written tests) they must pass an INTENSIVE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION.

Does anyone know what the INTENSIVE investigation is??? This is for various county and city jobs in Florida.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFourMag View Post
    What is the difference between a background investigation and an INTENSIVE background investigation?

As a candidate gets further along in the hiring process (after passing background investigation, agility, practicals and written tests) they must pass an INTENSIVE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION.

Does anyone know what the INTENSIVE investigation is??? This is for various county and city jobs in Florida.
    This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing that the first background investigation is just a cursory check to make sure you're not a felon, murderer, multiple drunk driver, etc. The intensive investigation is probably where they go and talk to your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and former employers to find out much more about you.

Again, that's just a guess, but it would make sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

The intensive investigation is probably where they go and talk to your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and former employers to find out much more about you.

Again, that's just a guess, but it would make sense.[/QUOTE]

That does make sense. Has anyone gone through this? Is there anything more to this? I know personally, that my former employers would be hard to track down. Family, kind of non-existent...what else can they look for?

Forum Member

A lot of departments do an intensive background to get a better idea of your character. They'll send out an investigator to the addresses or last known addresses & they'll have a conversation with said people.

Some departments view their employees as investments, so they want to make sure they're getting the best.

Let's talk fire trucks!

One local career department does the same background checks for their prospective members as they do the law enforcement officers. This includes:

Interviewing previous employers within 200 miles
    Interviewing current and past neighbors
    Reviewing all HS and college transcripts
    Speaking with current and previous teachers/professors
    Credit checks & bank statement reviews
    Checking with over 20 references
    Interviewing members of your family

Just some of the things that an "intensive" background check might involve...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default Close

JLam was almost correct with his reply. When there is a "background check" done it's your basic check to see if your who you say you are and have no criminal record. The "Intensive background" check there are requests sent out to different Law Inforcement Agents to see if you have a clean record. They also check with past employers, neighbors,friends,workmates and so on. It takes awhile to complete and is very extensive. Usually this process is not done unless your on a very shorty list to be hired.
    I hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

You also have to remember that, armed with a signed consent to release information form, there is very little that I can't find out about you. You would be amazed what your references, neighbors, employers, even family will say when they are interviewed by the right person.

That's why I keep saying over and over and over.

TELL THE TRUTH!
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

I was told that an investigator will show up at my house at 10 in the morning. Once he got there he had already visited and spoke with ALL my neighbors and my landlord, my place of employment (not the boss but every one else) spoke to my mon and dad via the phone and all my references (some via the phone). They had communicated with my former schools and the PDs of every town that I had ever lived in. (I had lived out of County for two yrs...and yes they made those contacts to.)

So, Good Luck, and as already been stated...Be Truthful in EVERYTHING!!!

Thread Information