Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Explorers in disaster response

With all of the conflict regarding Explorers, I thought I'd share a story. Saturday night our town got hit by the storms/tornadoes that ravaged SW Missouri (Purdy, to be specific). We have about 16 miles or so of tornado track in our district, several homes destroyed, even more damaged. We were fortunate that we had only 2 serious injuries and one fatality.

Our Explorer post happened to be attending the graduation ceremonies at the school (which just happened to be a block or so from the EOC). As soon as they were released, they got to the station and prepared to help however they could. These guys and gals did it textbook. They got their gear together and formed up in a staging area and waiting for the word to go.

We teamed them up with firefighters and sent them out in teams to perform checks of the area. These "kids" acted as professional as any firefighter that came to assist. They did what they were asked, when they were asked and how they were instructed. They stayed out of situations they knew they weren't supposed to be in and did one hell of a job.

I've said it before, a good Explorer post can make a dramatic impact to a department. While I don't believe Explorers are to replace firefighters, they can do one hell of a job helping them.

That is great. Stay safe fellow Explorers.

Delta107

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I've said it before, a good Explorer post can make a dramatic impact to a department. While I don't believe Explorers are to replace firefighters, they can do one hell of a job helping them.
    There ares some here who, no matter what you tell them, will refuse to believe that. I wish more people would share Explorer/Junior stories that are GOOD.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

In NC last week we were hit by a tornado, it didnt do as bad of damage as it did in Missouri but bad enough. Our Junior firemen did a excellent job. It was good having a few extra hands to take some of the slack off of the other members. (nothing dangerous though)
    Just my opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    These "kids" acted as professional as any firefighter that came to assist. They did what they were asked, when they were asked and how they were instructed. They stayed out of situations they knew they weren't supposed to be in and did one hell of a job.
    Key part here.

Great job guys!!

Thats perfect and great to hear. It's a shame that most posts dont even have that kind of relationship with their dept.

Congrats on a job well done!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

GOOD JOB MALABAR FIRE DEPT EXPLORERS!!!

Having returned from my 3rd day there, their Explorers area a Godsend.
    Keep up the excellent work!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Job well done to these young folks.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thank you for the positive attitude and sharing such an experience. Us Explorers appreciate it very much. We're just looking to help people, same as every firefighter.

We know our limits, and like to do it by helping those trained to do it and with light relief work.

.........ok?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    .........ok?
    What's this all about?

Us Explorers appreciate it very much. We're just looking to help people, same as every firefighter.

We know our limits, and like to do it by helping those trained to do it and with light relief work.
    Unless you are in the group of people who helped on this incident, I wasn't sure how this had to do with this topic at all.

We're not talking about explorer limits, etc. we are talking about a job well done. This might have been one situation where less words would have been better.

Just my opinion though. And definatly dont think any less of you.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Unless you are in the group of people who helped on this incident, I wasn't sure how this had to do with this topic at all.

We're not talking about explorer limits, etc. we are talking about a job well done. This might have been one situation where less words would have been better.

Just my opinion though. And definatly dont think any less of you.
    I think it was clear. He was saying thanks for sharing the positive news story and followed it up with saying his post knows its limits and briefly described in generalities what they do.

What's not to understand about it being related to the topic?

Thread Information