Angry Termination after being Injured.

Brothers, Do any of you know of anyone that has been injured on the job and has been terminated after the department heads decided upon themselves that a reasonable time has been past and them terminated them. It happened to me. Still fighting the good fight. Contact me and I'll explain all the details. K Shofner Local 33 Engine 4

MembersZone Subscriber

yes in fact when i was in rookie school at fort worth it happened to one of the guys in my class, a very smart, newly wed, young man who was well liked by instructors and our whole class.

unfortunately he carried some extra weight coming into academy and do to the strenuous workouts and long runs he developed severe stress fractures in both legs. the bad part is that there was no way to prove them to be work related and his no running and weight carying restrictions were "indefinate". the running was a cause of it but he was a little heavier than most. they terminated him 7 weeks before graduation of a 30 week academy.

let me further detail the situation. they would have "recycled" him if the option was available. but do to texas civil service laws, you are an "at will" employee for your first year, otherwise known as your probationary period. after that mark you are fully vested in the civil service laws. those same laws also state that a person must be completely through with their basic training by the end of that one year period and cannot be classified as a fire trainee. unfortunately for this young man, the next class that was starting would graduate 3 weeks after his one year point. it sucks horribly and i feel bad for him mostly because he was a good classmate who i respect a lot. it also scared the crap out of me because i tore my acl in my left knee during academy (on the job) and was worried about my future. i was lucky enough that i found the right doc that allowed me to tough it out through academy and a few months in the field before having surgery in order to save my career. (i should mention i had a fancy 1300 dollar knee brace like football linemen wear compliments of workers comp that allowed me to fully function during this period.)

so to answer your question yes it can and has happened. and it usually happens to people who really deserve to stay.

Forum Member

Can you define "extra weight"???

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Similar story

I have a similar dilemma, and would appreciate some advice. I've been working on the wildland side of things for about 15 years. I was offered an opportunity to attend a training academy out of state, and packed up and moved, excited about my new opportunity. The academy required that you maintain a 90% on everything. I did not previously have the state FFT1, which looking back would have helped a lot prior to attending.

Long story short, we had our manipulative final after a month and I thought I did ok, but a couple of days later was called in and told that they were letting me go because I failed one portion of it. To put it mildly, I was in a bit of sticker shock when they told me, as I thought I had done well. I had the option of being terminated or resigning under good standing. I took good standing. I was also having a tendonitis problem in my ankle which I was having to work around (they didn't want me to run, but I did the rest of the PT because I didn't want to quit)

I had been wanting to work for this agency for a long time. They are going to be testing again in 2 years, which means I will be around 39 IF I get the opportunity to attend again (this would be after passing the written, CPAT, Chief's interview, etc). One thing I DO plan to do is get my FFT1 and EMT this time beforehand, instead of going into it blind.What I need to know is should I go for it again for this agency, or will the fact that I failed the first time reflect badly on me ("Well, you tried once and failed, why should we let you in again?") Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point. Trying to remain optimistic...
    Last edited by Langenator; 05-17-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Default Mine should be obvious.

I was in an MVA with a tractor trailer responding to a structure fire. It was completely the other drivers fault, he turned in front of us, thought he could beat us " I guess ". I've had 5 surgerys on my left hip and leg but I am improving everyday. It's been a year and a half since the accident. The city personel director sent me a letter in the mail of termination, not even the fire chief had the balls to call me or meet with me. Now I am having to file law suits against the city and the civil service comm. because they denied me a hearing. It seems to me that it would be more cost effective to the city to keep me emplolyed rather than fire me. I am pretty sure the city is going to recover all expenses from third party ins. Anyway who knows , It just sucks that Loyalty is sometimes a one way street.

Thread Information