Forum Member

Default Relocation to WI

I am looking into moving to Bruce/Ladysmith WI and I was wondering if there is anyone here from that area. I am a Wyoming Firefighter 1, Hazmat awareness level. I am wanting information on the departments in this area and if anyone knows about transfering over my certification. Any thing would be helpful! Thanks

Ash

Forum Member

Default WI Relocation

Both Bruce and Ladysmith have great departments, well managed, and pretty well equipped, you wouldn't go wrong with either one. The DNR also has a station in I beleive Ladysmith. Ladysmith required a major rebuild after getting hit by a tornado several years ago, things are up and running in a new station. Training through the tech colleges is good, and your are close enough to Eau Claire where if the career urge hits, they hire cooperatively with other mid-sized WI cities who have career departments. You won't find mountains like Wyoming here, but you will love the area! Good luck, I can't speak for either city you mentioned, but POC members with previous training are generally in demand around the state like most other places.

Forum Member

Thank you for your information. I actually got changed and I am now on the Schofield Fire Department.

I may not have the mountains like in Wyoming but the heavily wooded areas are beautiful! I am enjoying being here in Wisconsin!

Forum Member

Default Transfering your FF I

I was able to transfer my firefighter I from Washington state to Wisconsin just this year. It was 9 years old but that didn't matter. YOur FF I has to be part of a group of states that are nationally recognized through a national certification. If your FF I certification has a gold seal on it chances are good you can get it certified for Wisconsin. You will ahve to send a copy to Madison. I will try to dig up my info tomorrow on the specifics if you can't find anything via google.

MembersZone Subscriber

WI fire certs have an IFSAC seal on them. About 30 states use this. I'm going to be transferring mine from WI to MD when I move to work in the DC area in Prince George's County in January. I'm not a huge fan of WI. It just isn't for me. I hate the cold and need a faster pace with things. Milwaukee is the only big city, but it isn't exactly fast paced. There also aren't many full time departments outside of Milwaukee County. Good luck though! Most people love it here.

Forum Member

I am still waiting on the verdict. I am hoping that it will transfer. I also start the EMS class Monday the 18th so I wont be able to go for firefighter until after that. I have all the doccumentation. I just got my cert in May so its not like its really old but I am going to contact my resource here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireEMSChick307 View Post
    Thank you for your information. I actually got changed and I am now on the Schofield Fire Department.

I may not have the mountains like in Wyoming but the heavily wooded areas are beautiful! I am enjoying being here in Wisconsin!
    Well say hi to Mark Fraiser for me. I worked with that goof when he was working at the MRI in Green Bay.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Thread Information