Forum Member

Default USAF Bases With Ladder Trucks

Does anyone out there which Overseas and Stateside bases have ladder trucks. I saw somewhere I think that Eglin, the USAF Academy, and Lackenheath have towers, does anyone else know of bases that have ladder trucks. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Ramstein has an E-One 75 foot Quint as well as a 102' KME tower. I think there might be a few others overseas and in the states as well. Langley has a 102' Pierce tower just to add to the list you have.

MembersZone Subscriber

F.E. Warren AFB is Wyoming has a 102' KME platform
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Put us on the list.

Barksdale AFB LA.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Default Langley AFB

I was at the airshow today. They have a 105' tower ladder.

MembersZone Subscriber

Philly... It's a 102' Pierce Tower. I'm at Langley and it never moves unless we get a working fire either on or outside the gate. It's a shame because it's a state of the art piece of equipment that should be utilized to it's fullest capability.

On a side note, how did you like the British Red Arrow Demo?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Airshow

delete delete
    Last edited by Navyfire; 06-24-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    On September 11th, all gave some...but some gave all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kferrara2002 View Post
    Philly... It's a 102' Pierce Tower. I'm at Langley and it never moves unless we get a working fire either on or outside the gate. It's a shame because it's a state of the art piece of equipment that should be utilized to it's fullest capability.

On a side note, how did you like the British Red Arrow Demo?
    They were fantastic!!! I was out back at the DMAT site Sunday, so I got onto the field for a while. Question, what is the piece of apparatus parked at the far right side on the back ramp? Looks like it has 1 operator position, and a boom.

Are you guys part of Hampton's response plan? The Nasa station used to be, not sure if they still are.

MembersZone Subscriber

The piece of apparatus you are referring to is the "Jaguar" made by Collett Manufacturing. It was a test vehicle for crash firefighting around 2001/02. It has one operator who sits in the center of the cab while the "crew chief" sits to the drivers right just to the rear. There is not a whole heck of room in there. Everything on the truck is either electrically, hydraulically, or pneumatically driven. That's the problem with it; when those system break down, the truck is out of service even though there is a "back-up" system to prevent shut-downs.

Unfortunately, it did not hold up to the expectations the Air Force hoped for. There are 7 in the Air Force inventory and all have been ordered to go to Nellis AFB. They do not want them, however they are going. Atlanta's airport bought several larger versions and they all failed miserably. Hence everyone that has or had a "Jaguar" is purchasing the new Stryker.

NASA Station 8 is still in Hampton's response plan, but we are not due to being a Federal installation. NASA is actually contracted out with Hampton even though they are a Federal Agency of sort. We have to keep our trucks on base unless we have enough manpower to allow an off base mutual-aid; of which we have in the past.

If you're in the area again, stop by and we'll give you an up close tour of the Jaguar.

Forum Member

KFERRARA2002,

We have a couple of Jaguars at my base. If you know anyone that wants them, all they have to do is come down and push them to there department. We only pray Colet reimburses us the money so we can go out and purchase something that works.

At least they look somewhat cool,

K

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kferrara2002 View Post
    There are 7 in the Air Force inventory and all have been ordered to go to Nellis AFB.
    Are they going to Nellis because they look like space ships?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL,

No, if that were the case, they woud be going to Area 51 or Tonopah Test Range (top secret stuff there).

Forum Member

Default C-5

My base is due to get a ladder truck in the next 2 years. we have C-5s at this base and there is no feasible way to access the over-the-wing hatches without one.

Forum Member

Travis AFB in CA. has a 108' bucket. I think it is a Pierce. Osan AFB in Korea has a 102' bucket.

MembersZone Subscriber

here at Elmendorf AFB/Ft Richardson we have a 105' pierce.... amongst tons of other stuff combination of army and air force..

Forum Member

Default ladder trucks

I know we aren't AF but we (Sunny Point MOTSU) have a 118' bronto, the largest in the state of NC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Scott AFB in IL had a tower.

SMT

Forum Member

i believer Kadena AB on Okinawa Japan was a tower

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by meteoman View Post
    Scott AFB in IL had a tower.

SMT
    Scott still has a tower technically... it has been out of service since Nov of 07 and isnít due back for a while now. The hydraulics went out on it then they found a crack in the frame from front to rear axils, since its over 20 years old parts were hard to find which is why its still out of service. You have got to love getting the cheapest truck out of the government.

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw one at Maxwell AFB in Alabama. I was just passing through so I don't know make or model....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by usafff58 View Post
    Scott still has a tower technically... it has been out of service since Nov of 07 and isnít due back for a while now. The hydraulics went out on it then they found a crack in the frame from front to rear axils, since its over 20 years old parts were hard to find which is why its still out of service. You have got to love getting the cheapest truck out of the government.
    Hahaha I remember that yellow piece of crap. Tank leaked, the front brake fell off it, I was there for a year and it never once got climbed, oh and never mind the fact we ran it as a first run pumper with a 300 gallon water tank out of station 3. I used to love running a tanker to first run engine responses on the back side of the base. Ahh the good old days at Scott. Were nothing made sence and your schedual changed 5 times in one day.

Thread Information