MembersZone Subscriber

Default OSFM Grant for Illinois Problems

For those dept's in Illinois. The OSFM has again opened the grant period for the Small Equipment Assistance Grant. This year the grants will be awarded in two rounds. The first round will be in July 2008 with $1 Million in award money. The second round will be awarded July 2009 with $2 Million in award money. The maximum award is $26,000. They have tweeked the guidance this year. Kinda like AFG with PPE and SCBA being priority 1. The application period ends June 13, 2008.

One application puts you in the running for a total of $3 Million in award money. The application and guidance can be downloaded at the OSFM web site.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a great little program in Illinois folks; don't miss the opportunity here and I am available to help you with your apps if needed.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

They were not supposed to fund it again after last year but they did. I'm glad. It really benefited us last year.

Thanks Kurt, I will be forwarding you a narrative later this week.

Jeremy

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure the idiot that we have as a Governor will hold up the money somewhere in the pipeline.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I'm sure he will. Our dept. was supposed to get 10,000 this year but the comptroller says the the F*U*IN gov wont release it. They need to send his ***** to jail. Crooked SOB!!!!!!

Forum Member

I don't mean to complain but year after year of doing the Federal app and then having to fill out a paper app for Illinois really stinks. Oh well, nothing worthwhile is easy. Tier 1 is PPE and SCBA, anyone think items in Tiers 2-4 have a shot at funding?
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    I don't mean to complain but year after year of doing the Federal app and then having to fill out a paper app for Illinois really stinks. Oh well, nothing worthwhile is easy. Tier 1 is PPE and SCBA, anyone think items in Tiers 2-4 have a shot at funding?
    I would not bet the farm on it but I think Tier #2 may have a shot for rescue tools, air bags, extrication related, cribbing etc.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

So it sounds like it's not even worth the trouble to ask for ventilation tools (chainsaws, PPV fans, etc.) since they're not anywhere on the priority list? That's what I'd been planning on trying for with this program this year. We got hydraulic rescue tools with it last year, so that knocks that out of consideration. We applied for SCBA through AFG this year, so I either apply for that again here and gamble that we won't get the AFG, or go down to third priority on the list. Neither option is very appealing. Grrr.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631 View Post
    So it sounds like it's not even worth the trouble to ask for ventilation tools (chainsaws, PPV fans, etc.) since they're not anywhere on the priority list? That's what I'd been planning on trying for with this program this year. We got hydraulic rescue tools with it last year, so that knocks that out of consideration. We applied for SCBA through AFG this year, so I either apply for that again here and gamble that we won't get the AFG, or go down to third priority on the list. Neither option is very appealing. Grrr.

Andy
    Andy it sounds as if you are not thinking "out of the box" here. You said you got the hydraulic tools last year, which probably ate up most of that grant money available to you right? Well, what about supplementing and building upon that success with this application.? Did you get plastic cribbing that can be decontaminated and stored more easily than wood? How about air bags or portable electric hand tools? What about an exothermic cutting torch or struts and jacks for stabilization? How about extrication turnout gear so you don't tear up your more expensive structural turnout gear; HHHMMMMHH lets see that would cover Tier #1 and #2 would'nt it?

Eyes wide open in all directions here Andy!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Kurt : I really like the way you think of filling out a previous award.

I bow down before the master! :-]
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

That is what happens when you do it for a living guy? You may rise oh failthful subject! LOL!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Yeah, we could play that game, but I'd much rather use grant funding to get things we actually have an urgent need for, rather than buy a bunch of toys that are "nice to haves". Last year's grant allowed us to greatly improve our capability in one area. I'd rather greatly improve our capability in another area that's significantly lacking than make a smaller incremental improvement in the same area. Unfortunately, that's going to be hard to do this year because of the way the priorities are written. I'd much rather have a decent chainsaw and circular saw than have fancy plastic cribbing that doesn't work any better than wood. We are a very low call volume department...when grant money is available to us we need to use it to get the basics, not fancy crap that will rarely if ever get used.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately, in the world of grants you have to play by the philosposhy of " it is their money and if you want their money, you have to give them what they want". Looks like those things you are discussing are not on their list for this year.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Yeah, which is what I said in the first place. I don't think these priorities were very well thought out, because it basically excludes any kind of "Small Equipment" that's actually used for firefighting, which was the original intent of the SEGP. In my mind, turnout gear wouldn't be considered "Small Equipment" under previous years' definitions. This is a major and unexpected change in scope of the program. I'd like their money, but I'd rather see some other department get badly needed equipment than get a bunch of toys just because I can write a good application.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

My biggest annoyance is the grant program was initially started to assist smaller and lower budget departments only to find that larger self sufficient departments landed funding only because of political connections.

The State of Chicago has specific grants targeted to only them. What the hell is that?? Daley have naked pictures of the Gov?? Yet I can't get a few thousand dollars to help fund a purchase of a reserve engine that the association and myself is funding out of our own pockets.

Once again we'll waste our time and apply only to find that larger communities will get funding for items that they could purchase if god forbid they tightened their purse strings.

Damn, I have a headache now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking I have a solution for you Pelican631

Andy, If you apply for and get the stuff Kurt mentioned, we will buy you a new chainsaw, K12 and a PPV fan and trade even-up. How does that sound? That is thinking outside the box.

In the meantime, I'm just sitting here waiting for an 1199A to show-up.

Forum Member

Hah...that is outside the box. And if you were in Illinois,that might actually work. Unfortunately:

Equipment purchased under this grant program will not be given to, granted to, transferred to, leased to, or sold to any person or entity that is not eligible to participate in the grant program as an applicant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks I can really feel for you up there in Illinois but, when taken as a whole, at least your state HAS a grant program. You are very lucky in that respect as many of the departments and states that I work with across the US do not have anything at all like this program and even though it might not be helping you with your problem, it is helping someone in some department somewhere in Illinois.

Yes it is politics to an extent but, I have to ask the question? If, as I am seeing here in these few posts ,there is so much of a problem with this grant program, what EXACTLY have any of you done to try and change that other than to voice an opinion here.

Now I am not saying this to incite a riot or to belittle or anything here, it is really a very honest question. Are you doing anything to bring about change? The only way change is ever instituted is through dialoque. Where are your State Firefighters Associations, Fire Chief Associations, City Manager Groups and lobbying groups at in trying to get those rules changed? If they don't know there is a problem, nobody ever steps up to offer to fix it.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Word from OSFM is that they'll only have enough money to fund Tier 1 projects, so the order or content of anything below that is pretty much irrelevant. 900 applications expected and only enough money to fund about 50.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

Word from OSFM is that they'll only have enough money to fund Tier 1 projects, so the order or content of anything below that is pretty much irrelevant. 900 applications expected and only enough money to fund about 50.

Andy
    So that's about the same odds as getting an AFG award. That also is of course assuming that 900 Tier #1 applications are submitted. I love a challenge!
    Last edited by ktb9780; 05-21-2008 at 05:45 PM.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Andy,

How about applying for that SCBA. If you are awarded AFG for SCBA use the OSFM money to supplement the project. Use what you need for your cost match and use the rest to got a couple extra. I don't see why that wont work.

Correct me if i'm wrong Kurt.

Remember this application is for both this year and next.

Why not put in for that K12 under extrication and use it for both?

Lots of options here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hatchmaster View Post
    My biggest annoyance is the grant program was initially started to assist smaller and lower budget departments only to find that larger self sufficient departments landed funding only because of political connections.

The State of Chicago has specific grants targeted to only them. What the hell is that?? Daley have naked pictures of the Gov?? Yet I can't get a few thousand dollars to help fund a purchase of a reserve engine that the association and myself is funding out of our own pockets.

Once again we'll waste our time and apply only to find that larger communities will get funding for items that they could purchase if god forbid they tightened their purse strings.

Damn, I have a headache now.
    I dunno, I think the funding last year went almost exclusively to small departments with small budgets. We're small and got funded...I haven't heard of any large departments getting much from this program, but I could be wrong.

Andy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pmed19 View Post
    Andy,

How about applying for that SCBA. If you are awarded AFG for SCBA use the OSFM money to supplement the project. Use what you need for your cost match and use the rest to got a couple extra. I don't see why that wont work.

Correct me if i'm wrong Kurt.

Remember this application is for both this year and next.

Why not put in for that K12 under extrication and use it for both?

Lots of options here.
    Yeah, that's probably what we'll end up doing. If we do get SCBA funding from both this and AFG, then the excess in this program will go back to another department that needs it. We had the same thing happen with the revolving truck loan program last year...got awarded the loan, then got the AFG, so another department was able to get the loan...which is fine with me.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, that's probably what we'll end up doing. If we do get SCBA funding from both this and AFG, then the excess in this program will go back to another department that needs it. We had the same thing happen with the revolving truck loan program last year...got awarded the loan, then got the AFG, so another department was able to get the loan...which is fine with me.

Andy

Or buy the extra packs you need that AFG would not allow under their rules
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Kurt, you really have trained me well. I haven't been on the forums in a while and hadn't read any of the scuttle butt on this thread but I did sit down and read the PG the other night and when I talked to the chief about this grant today I told him that I thought it would be best to go after Tier 1 items by replacing some of our PPE that is about 10 years old.

Does anyone know if any career departments were awarded last year? I looked at the list and saw a lot of Fire Protection Districts and a few with Volunteer in their name. Just wasn't sure if a career department from downstate IL would even have a chance in this arena. It's worth applying for though. The worst they can do is tell me no.

Thread Information