Thread: Chicago trip

Forum Member

Default Chicago trip

Taking a trip to Chicago this weekend for my 15th wedding anniversary. It'll be my first time in Chicago. Staying downtown around S. Dearborn and Congress Prkwy and going to visit the Field Museum. That's about all we really have scheduled and will play the rest by ear. Anyone have any tips for a small town boy heading to the big city? Mikey?
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Happy Anniversary! Have fun
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Chad, if you can get to the Museum of Science and Industry, do it. I haven't been there for years, but it's quite an experience.
    Your first trip to Chicago-I used to spend summers there with my aunts. One worked at a Dutch Mills candy store downtown. We visited her a lot.
    Hope you like it as much as I do. St. Louis is nothing compared to Chicago.

Kids going along? If not.......party time in Sandoval this weekend!
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Kids not going ...

Then they won't need to make any plans .... except to come up for air once in awhile! hehe
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 05-19-2008 at 05:10 PM.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to Navy Pier. Also try Harry Carey's restaruant. Don't be shy about stopping into a fire house to look around. When I was there I visited one downtown, they were really nice and the one in Wrigleyville. Have fun. We are going up in Sept. for Cubs v. Cards. GO CUBBIES!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Then they won't need to make any plans .... except to come up for air once in awhile! hehe
    Actually the kids are NOT going and I can hold my breath a long time Sheri!

At least planning on the Field Museum.

pmed, my wife has already laid down the law on the firehouses! I can look but can't stop and chat!
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kprsn1 View Post
    Actually the kids are NOT going and I can hold my breath a long time Sheri!

At least planning on the Field Museum.

pmed, my wife has already laid down the law on the firehouses! I can look but can't stop and chat!
    HAHAHA then you should lay down the law for her when she wants to go shopping ... you can look but you can't go in! hehe

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

+1 for the Museum of Science & Industry. Or go catch the Blue Man Group up on the north side.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hatchmaster View Post
    +1 for the Museum of Science & Industry. Or go catch the Blue Man Group up on the north side.
    hatchmaster, how's this for not thinking clearly... Went to Las Vegas a few years back and had the choice of Blue Man Group at about $60 a person or Siegfreid and Roy @ about half that or something like that (It's been awhile ). Well anyway, guess which one my wife and I and our cheapskate butts picked. Yep, the famous white tiger show. Ugghhh!!! That's money and time I wish I could have back!
    I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mrs. C won't let you visit a firehouse? What kind of wo.......oh, never mind. Have fun anyway. Maybe you can at least get a few apparatus or station pictures for us, from outside of course. They do have some neat looking old stations.
    You know, you could always say you're looking for a free dinner or something, if you just happen to be going by a station at meal time. Then you could afford the Blud Man Group tickets.

I'll let you know how many times the ambulance or fire trucks get sent to your house!
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I got an idea, the old fire station at water tower is now a restaruant, can't say how good, I have not been there. Science & Industry a must, lots of neat fire stuff there, I think Thursday's is the free day. If you know the head of your MABAS divison, he should have a great map of the city, it show's every fire station. As for eating places, my hot spots, the melting pot, weber grill, Bubba Gumps, and a long time favorite Ed Debevecks.Have fun.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can't go to Chicago and not eat pizza! The best pizza in town is Gino's East. They're located at 633 N. Wells St. (Ontario and Wells). The pizza there is worth the trip itself! If you want a little night life, head to The Excalibur on the corner of Dearborn and Ontario. It's a 5 story bar. Pretty neat place. As others have said, Navy Pier is cool too. There's tons of things to do in Chicago, I was pretty lucky; last time I was there I stopped by a station somewhere near the Sears Tower. I was talking to the crew, and they were called for a high rise fire only a few blocks from the station. That was pretty cool to see, those men and women bring a TON of resources to bear almost instantly.

Forum Member

First of all, the best pizza is real Chicago THIN CRUST. Secondly, there are so many great things to see and do in Chicago. A walk in Millenium Park and up Michigan Ave. are a start. If you are feeling adventurous, take the Red Line El south to Chinatown and North to Wrigleyville. The Museum Campus is nice as well. Live music is always an option. The Lakefront is beautiful. Another great way to see the city is by taking a river tour. Have fun. I think you will want to come back.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

There is so much to do in Chi-town. Alot of great things already mentioned.

Millenium Park
    Navy Pier
    Museum of S&I, Field Museum, Shed Aquarium
    Blue Man Group
    Wicked is only playing until January, see it while you can
    More places to eat then is humanly possible to eat at in a weekend, but it sure is fun trying.
    Boat tours through downtown and onto Lake Michigan.
    Sears Tower
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Forum Member

Mikey, THIN CRUST?? I'll have to admit, I had some last week, it wasn't bad. If you drive up to Wrigleyville, pay attention to the names of the bars when you drive through Boystown, it'll have you laughing you arse off.

Forum Member

If you are looking for some good food, Gibsons on Rush st. It is expensive but worth it. Harry Carry's or Sullivans, if you are really looking to impress the 95th of the Hancock. The Shed aquarium, Lincoln Park zoo, Wrigley Field, Millennium park, Michigan Avenue will give the wife something to look at while you sneak off to Engine 98's quarters. Also house of blues, anything on rush street or division st.

Have fun

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trainer View Post
    Mikey, THIN CRUST?? I'll have to admit, I had some last week, it wasn't bad. If you drive up to Wrigleyville, pay attention to the names of the bars when you drive through Boystown, it'll have you laughing you arse off.

Yep ..THIN CRUST....I will let you in on a dirty little secret. Deep dish pizza is a tourist thing. As for Boystown... Larry, did you stop and have a drink at the Manhole ?... I'm not sure you would laugh your arse off...But it might get pinched.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

NO, I did not stop. My daughter use to live a couple of blocks of Irving on Lake Shore, but as since moved to Wicker Park, so I've driven through Boystown a lot. The only name I could remember is "The Back Door". Not to get away from pizza, but I would suggest Super Dawgs.

Forum Member

My mom lives on Lake Shore Drive between Belmont and Addison so I get to that part of town fairly often. I can still remember when Lakeview (Wrigleyville) was a tough neighborhood.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

gotta thow in my 2 cents on the Hot Dog issue. SuperDawg is OVERRATED! Very Pricy$$$$$$ You are better off at "The Weiners Circle" 2622 N Clark Great Chicago Style Dog and they will talk smack at you too. So be on gaurd.

Gene & Jude's is good too but thats in a town just outside of Chicago so we won't discuss that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to thread jack, Gene & Judes is opening another store just a little farther west in a few months.

Forum Member

I come to the city several times a year, always looking for that out of the way eatery with good food at a fair price. Last time was an Irish bar in the Hilton on Michigan, great food and for downtown price was real good.

Forum Member

So how was the trip ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

He told me that he canceled the trip to help his boy buy a 4 wheeler. Probably wanted one himself, so that's why he bought his boy one.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

First off thanks for all the tips guys. Jack summed it up pretty well. My son graduated 8th grade and we had a party for him Thursday night. His goal was to get enough monetary gifts to buy a used ATV. He didn't quite make it but he had plenty to buy a good used dirt bike. My wife and I said, "Don't think so," so we cancelled the trip to help him pay for a 4 wheeler. Ahh, the things we won't do for our kids. Oh yeah, like Jack said, I get to play with it too!
    I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information