Forum Member

Default Looking for preplan drawing editing software

We have all of our building diagrams (about 700) drawn out in paper form. we would like to computerize all the files with the capability of making changes to the drawings as the buildings change.

How can we accomplish this? We had intended on scanning the building diagrams into the computer. But how then could we revise them to keep our building preplans up to date? special program?

Thanks,

Larry

Forum Member

Fire Zone 7 or 8 is a very good program. You can use it for anytype occupancy, it has numerous symbols, line types, and other features that are sure to help you. Also do you use Firehouse from ACS for your incident reporting, because it has a module in it for occupancys. You can embed pictures and your drawings into it, plus by embeding them it also serves as kinda a backup. Any questions just PM me.
    Just my opinion.

Forum Member

Default Pre Plans

So, if I have this right, you say to use a module of Firehouse??

We have about 700 non computerized (they were orignally drawn on an OLD Apple computer) pre plan drawings that we want to upload to a computer by scanning to be eventually used in the vehicles. BUT, we need the ability to make minor changes without having to redraw every building.

Any other suggestions??

Forum Member

Default editing maps

I assume your scanning them in as pdf files? You can make minor edits to your scanned maps using adobe 8.0 which if you bought a computer in the last year might already have it, or adobe pagemaker without re-doing the whole thing. In Word or EXCEL you can create a list of the buildings (i don't know if you have a box system or not) by box number or by building name/address however you'd identify them. You can then pdf the list from Word or excel and in adobe create a point and click system where on the computer you just click on the building you want from the list and the proper map will come up on the screen. don't pay for stuff you don't need, chances are you have the tools you already need. All you'll need in the trucks is Adobe 8.0 reader which is a free download to use the maps. If you want a sample i can send you one.
    Last edited by neversaydie69; 05-30-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Lower Bucks County - proud home of Pennsylvania’s 9/11 memorial site – “the garden of reflection”, Zico and hhmllc

MembersZone Subscriber

A little pricey but we are using Microsoft Visio which seems to be fairly popular. The nice thing about visio is that it can be easily combined with word documents, excel spreadsheets, etc. Buildings are easily edited and the program features many pre-drawn shapes...fire hydrants, generators, HVAC equipment, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFD122 View Post
    A little pricey but we are using Microsoft Visio which seems to be fairly popular. The nice thing about visio is that it can be easily combined with word documents, excel spreadsheets, etc. Buildings are easily edited and the program features many pre-drawn shapes...fire hydrants, generators, HVAC equipment, etc.
    To build on FFD122 comments: Visio has a DXF import function. You can outsource the physical scanning to a service bureau and import the resulting DXF files into Visio and make whatever changes you need.

I have used http://www.new-york-document-scanning.com/ for paper to DXF conversion. They have sample prices on the website.

Thread Information