MembersZone Subscriber

Default FatMax® Xtreme™ FuBar™ Utility Bar

If you haven't seen or used this already, check out this handy dandy tool.

FatMax® Xtreme™ FuBar™ Utility Bar

I have this tool, and it's freaking great. It's been a great tool for Tech rescue.

Here is the first responders

Stanley® Fubar® Forcible Entry Tool

Last edited by ffscm72; 05-20-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Every time I think about buying one. I realize that my trucks Halligan Bar is free to use.

Forum Member

Cool

If i were to buy one it would end up getting used at the farm and not at the firehouse. We have far too many Denver tools and Hallogan bars to play with there
    To err is human, To forgive divine and at times I am as much of both as you will ever find

To bad it is made for FD use that way they can jack up the price.

Forum Member

Both my LT. and I bought one when it first came out. I'm at a volunteer department so i always forget to grab it when running to the truck at 3 in the morning. The advantage that we saw with the Fubar Tool is the size and weight. Yes we do have the halligan and the Denver Tool but they are bulky to carry and have some weight behind them. I'm workin on gettin a truckmans belt so i can remember it more often. I'll shoot back when it's seen a fire or two and let you know how it stood up

MembersZone Subscriber

Buying your own tools. Hmmmm.

Seems like this belongs in that moronic thread about what the buff has in his pockets.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Buying your own tools. Hmmmm.

Seems like this belongs in that moronic thread about what the buff has in his pockets.
    Seriously George, you have NEVER purchased any piece of equipment for your own personal use as a firefighter, cop or arson investigator? NEVER? Not once?

All of the equipment in my turn outs at work, with the exception of the self rescue kit, I purchased myself. If I waited for the FD to buy what I have decided I need to carry I would never have it. Through time and evaluation I have narrowed down what I carry to the minimum but in my mind essential tools.

I guess this is another topic where we may just have to disagree Goerge. I guess I feel if a firefighter wants to buy a certain tool for personal use and the FD allows it it is their business.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rtfd241 View Post
    To bad it is made for FD use that way they can jack up the price.
    Actually it's designed for framing carpenters!
    $39.00 at lowes ,home depot and many other tool outlets

Forum Member

Our department did buy one for the rescue truck. Not much leverage due to the short length.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 06-01-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling corection

MembersZone Subscriber

more power to you if u want to put this in your pocket. I'll just take in what they have on the truck.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

It's wierd how Stanley tool AND Channel lock are both now getting into the emergency services market. Wonder what prompted that?

Both seem like neat tools.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't drag this tool around with me on the fire scene usually only on the tech rescue scene. It's on on my bag that I carry to the scene's.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

Back In Black

While waiting for my flight to Wisconsin on Sunday I bought a Popular Mechanics Magazine (seems I only buy this when i'm flying..).

They had an article about this bar and i'd like to see one and get my hands on it just to see if it's something that would be worth outfitting our trucks with.

Just from the pictures, I don't see what the fuss is about.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

There was another thread about this tool a little while ago.........

I have had one of the original "caprentry" models for a while now, and it works great in that aspect. Good for demo, tearing drywall down, prying up boards, etc. I think the longer handle "FD" models would make a great officer tool. Plus it has the little extras like holes to put a carabiner to swing the tool to take out a window from above, the gas shutoff, and hydrant wrench (well not so much this one.) I have always liked the premise of the Denver tool, but felt it's only good uses were as a sledge and an axe. I think the FUBAR might fair a little better, although it wouldn't have anywhere near the same power as a striking tool.

I think some of the tool companies have figured out that there is a market from the fire/rescue community. Hopefully they won't get caught up in just calling something an "FD" model, but making something actually more user friendly for us.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Seriously George, you have NEVER purchased any piece of equipment for your own personal use as a firefighter, cop or arson investigator? NEVER? Not once?

All of the equipment in my turn outs at work, with the exception of the self rescue kit, I purchased myself. If I waited for the FD to buy what I have decided I need to carry I would never have it. Through time and evaluation I have narrowed down what I carry to the minimum but in my mind essential tools.

I guess this is another topic where we may just have to disagree Goerge. I guess I feel if a firefighter wants to buy a certain tool for personal use and the FD allows it it is their business.
    Nominal items such as gloves or a flashlight? Sure. Large expeditures like tools costing over $100? Not on your life. That is my agency's responsibility. If they don't buy it, I work with what they give me.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Nominal items such as gloves or a flashlight? Sure. Large expeditures like tools costing over $100? Not on your life. That is my agency's responsibility. If they don't buy it, I work with what they give me.

But you see George that is YOUR standard for YOU. If a firefighter wants to purchase a personal tool and the agency he works for says okay then it is his choice and more importantly his money. Obviously I agree that things like a Halligan or pike poles or axes and the like are the responsibility of the FD to purchase. But a personal tool owned by the firefighter that the agency does not own is a personal choice and I haven't got a problem with it.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    But you see George that is YOUR standard for YOU. If a firefighter wants to purchase a personal tool and the agency he works for says okay then it is his choice and more importantly his money. Obviously I agree that things like a Halligan or pike poles or axes and the like are the responsibility of the FD to purchase. But a personal tool owned by the firefighter that the agency does not own is a personal choice and I haven't got a problem with it.
    Just gonna throw this out there, if you are getting in the cab with me, leave your fancy toy in a compartment or something... don't need that thing in there when we get whacked at an intersection or something.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok maybe i didn't make this real clear, so I apologize now. This isn't a tool I carry on my person during fire alarms, even though it might be nice, I just don't use it for such purposes. I have this tool on my personal back-pack that I use for Technical Rescues, that I keep in my personal vehicle. Now as far as fire ground usage, I'm we could all use this tool in one way or another. I probably should have posted this in the Tech Rescue forum...sorry all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't worry about what forum you put this in. It has potential all around, plus it works well around the house too! If no one brought up there little ideas from time to time, we wouldn't get far. How do you think Hugh Halligan felt when he came up with his "small idea"? As firemen, we are always looking for a simpler, easier way to do something. If we didn't use ideas from other jobs, where would we be? Remember a lot of our equipment had it's start from somewhere other than the fire service.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

I'd have to say I could see it being useful for overhaul...pulling mouldings or wainscoating, lifting floorboards, that sort of thing.

I dunno about forcible entry...I'm not a big fan of tools that try to be too many things...case in point, the spectacular failure of the Denver tool to be good at any of its five purported uses.

This doesn't look heavy enough to be a good swinging tool, nor thick or curved enough at the prying end to effectively force a door past its latch ability. It's also curved along the "big" end, which means it would be dangerous to try to drive it into a door or jamb longways...it should have a flat casting on the end so it could be hit with an axe or hammer.

It's definitely not gonna replace a Halligan, like some of the other guys said. But it also definitely has potential

Forum Member

If you believe it is your agency's responsibility, then why are you buying your own gloves and flashlights in the first place?

These are absolute basics in personal protective equipment which I would hope would be provided by your department.

You either buy some of your own items... or you don't. Don't fault anyone for drawing a different line in the sand about what they will buy and won't buy for themselves.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    If you believe it is your agency's responsibility, then why are you buying your own gloves and flashlights in the first place?

These are absolute basics in personal protective equipment which I would hope would be provided by your department.

You either buy some of your own items... or you don't. Don't fault anyone for drawing a different line in the sand about what they will buy and won't buy for themselves.
    Hmm... maybe it is because that 99.9% of the local municipalities buy the lowest bid items in an attempt to squeeze two nickles together hoping to a get a quarter out of it?

Gloves and flashlights aren't a high priority in the eyes of the bean counters...

PS: we are allowed to buy equipment if we choose to... that's what the uniform allowance is for... and why I wear a N5A instead of the standard issue pleather 1010 and Globe Magnum boots instead of the standard issue Servus rubber boots... cow on both ends!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-10-2008 at 01:15 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Hmm... maybe it is because that 99.9% of the local municipalities buy the lowest bid items in an attempt to squeeze two nickles together hoping to a get a quarter out of it?

Gloves and flashlights aren't a high priority in the eyes of the bean counters...
    I agree with you on that point Gonzo, but I have yet to see a department that didn't issue its members gloves. While they may not be the best quality, there are still issued.

If one chooses to buy their own, better quality pair, so be it. Same goes for a personal tool. If you are more comfortable with one you have purchased and your department allows it, go for it. It really is a matter of choice.

But when one says that "if they don't but it.. I work with what they give me", and then go out and buy their own gloves and flashlight, it sounds hypocritical.

Forum Member

To those that believe they should just use what's on the apparatus, what is your position on those companies that make/modify tools to fit their response area? Should they just use what the dept. issues them, even if it doesn't work as good as their made/modified tool?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jakesdad View Post
    I agree with you on that point Gonzo, but I have yet to see a department that didn't issue its members gloves. While they may not be the best quality, there are still issued.

If one chooses to buy their own, better quality pair, so be it. Same goes for a personal tool. If you are more comfortable with one you have purchased and your department allows it, go for it. It really is a matter of choice.

But when one says that "if they don't but it.. I work with what they give me", and then go out and buy their own gloves and flashlight, it sounds hypocritical.
    I didn't buy a better quality pair. I bought a worse quality pair. There is no need for a fire investigator to wear structural fire fighting gloves (issued by my agency) at all times. Sometimes, a nominally priced canvas and leather work glove is all that is needed. It was a good 10 bucks spent.

I didn't buy a better quality flashlight. I bought a worse quality one. Sometimes, the Streamlight Lightbox (issued by my agency) was not appropriate for the job. Sometimes, a nominally priced 4 D cell Maglite is all that is needed.

Sometimes I sit here and wonder why I have to respect everyone else's opinion, but I am not allowed to have mine. Amazing.

Thread Information