Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mercedes Benz MBE motors

Can anyone share their experiences with the MBE 900 and MBE 4000 motors in emergency services use? We are currently in the process of spec'ing (2) haz-mat response units on Freightliner M2 chassis, with 300 - 350 hp, and are looking for input? I have spoken with one major jurisdiction's fire apparatus fleet manager and they have switched from Cummins to the MBE series because of maintenance issues with the Cummins. Has anyone else been experiencing problems with the Cummins motors in this output range?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-GD

I know here in Southern Central NY they had some problems getting parts in a timely fashion but that was a few years back. I check with my contact at the local freightliner shop and report back later.
    Fyrtrks

My experience (well, through word of mouth in my neck of the woods) so far is that if you have a Freightliner dealer that can service the Mercedes motors, you'll be fine. I don't believe that they're any worse or better than the others. If no one that will service them, well - that will just make things worse when you need service.

I assume they got things figured out with the '07 emissions fiasco? I had sold an M2 tanker chassis with an MBE motor, it suffered enormous delays and ended up with a Cummins because of production issues with the Mercedes.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Freightliner WAS giving a significant discount on chassis with Cummins as supply of MBE was not working. Now ended.

My recollection is the MBE does not have replacable cylinder liners. No many of us will wear out the engine in our BRT and need to overhaul. But in the event of terminal stupidity an overhaul may be required. In this event the ability to replace cylinder liners will be of significant interest.

I don't think there are many in the heavy truck business that would recommend the MBE over a Cummins (or CAT or Detroit 60). But the MBE may be slightly less expensive than the Cummins.

Forum Member

MBE motors?

MBE stands for Mercedes Benz Engines.

A motor is electric.
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Forum Member

I cannot say how they work in an emergency vehicle,but in a work vehicle the MBE is more reliable then the Cummins. We have 7 Freightliners where I work and 3 have the MBE900 engines and 4 have the 5.9L Cummins. Any one of the 4 with the Cummins are either broke down or in the shop 3 times more then all 3 with the MBE engines. Also the MBE900 and the MBE4000 are both built by Detroit Diesel.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

My employer has about 35 trucks with the MBE 4000 engines in regional and vocational applications. Comparing them with the Cummins and Cats of similar use the Mercedes wins by quite a bit when it comes to maintenence and repair costs.

As for non-replacable cylinder liners, they have had a few issues with the EGR engine cylinder liners moving in the block. So they must be removable. Of course if they move when you don't want them to, congratulations on your new engine courtesy of the warranty.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wconlon53 View Post
    ... Also the MBE900 and the MBE4000 are both built by Detroit Diesel.
    I believe that they are ASSEMBLED in the US by DD. A Mercedes engine with DD controls for use in the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post
    MBE motors?

A motor is electric.
    Better put out a memo, I didn't know all MOTOR vehicles were powered by electricity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edge1317 View Post
    Better put out a memo, I didn't know all MOTOR vehicles were powered by electricity.

They are. The starter MOTOR powers them up!
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

They are. The starter MOTOR powers them up!
    Knew you were going to come up with that, so after they start they are called engine vehicles then?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    I believe that they are ASSEMBLED in the US by DD. A Mercedes engine with DD controls for use in the US market.
    I'm not sure about now,but the MBE900 in my 2004 Freightliner has a sticker right on top of the valve cover that says "Made in Mexico by Detroit Diesel for Mercedes Benz ".I also found out that Mercedes owns Detroit Diesel.

Actually, both DD and mercedes are owned by Diamler AG. We have the Mercedes in an M2 freightliner and it seems to do the job. A few minor issues a couple years ago with the fuel filters and as we speak the fuel pump is going out of it.(Typical freightliner shop story....Its broke but we dont have the parts)
    Here is a link I found on the DD website
    http://www.detroitdiesel.com/pdf/voc...-emergency.pdf
    Last edited by Frmboybuck; 05-24-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Smile

we have to tankers. one with the mbe engines with 330hp and the other is a cat 3126 they both do a good job the mbe is better on take off and top speed they both get the same on fuel milage they both have 2400 gallon water and run a top speed of 82 and get about 12 miles to the gallon depending on the desial fuel if it good or not fuel.

Forum Member

Exclamation

MBE motors?

A motor is electric.
    and what planet are u from u must never been around engines before if u have than u need to go back to school.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1213 View Post
    we have to tankers. one with the mbe engines with 330hp and the other is a cat 3126 they both do a good job the mbe is better on take off and top speed they both get the same on fuel milage they both have 2400 gallon water and run a top speed of 82 and get about 12 miles to the gallon depending on the desial fuel if it good or not fuel.
    A top speed of 82????????????? Holy smokes!!!

Talking

never believe anything that comes from the computer of a 16 y.o . wanna-be
    with bad grammar and spelling!

Thread Information