Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Smeal Wins... So do WE!!!!!!!!!!!

The new David City (NE) Vol. Fire Department Rescue Pumper is decided, and after all the time and effort, I just wish it was here... For all of the regulars, here's the short of it:

-Spartan Gladiator (ext. length, full raised-roof)
    -450 ISM
    -Fully Multi-plexed (V-MUX)
    -1500 gpm Waterous Midship w/ top mount pump panel
    -Eclipse CAFS (200 cfm)
    -20kw Hydraulic gen
    -Dual rescue tool reels (100')
    -coffin storage w/ Zico Ladder
    -LED light package
    -9000 W light tower
    -H.O. Bostrom seats
    -1000 gal H2O, 25 gal foam w/ auto tank fill for both
    -Internal pressure relief, with elect. butterfly valves
    -Aluminum body w/ ROM roll up doors
    -back-up camera, telescoping/elevating scene camera w/dvr
    -dual speed-lays
    -hydraulic ladder rack
    -and the Q2B

Any ?s, don't hesitate to ask. The specs are a total of 100+ pages. Smeal is an absolute dream to work with, and would be recommended by myself to anyone. ETA..... Hopefully Fire School next May.

check us out: www.davidcityfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber hilgerone's Avatar

Just curious if anyone has a scene recording camera in any of their apparatus and how you utilize the footage.

This was an idea brought up by a rural fire board member and we went with it. Probably going to consist of a dash mount camera and a second on a extendable mast to cover the scene after arrival.

(figured I'd post on your topic there Hrod)

Forum Member

Default Drive Cam

Check out http://drivecam.com

No video tape, etc.... Unit connects via USB into laptop and downloads movie. Small unit only what get mounted to window.

MembersZone Subscriber Eno821302's Avatar

Question

Will Smeal take majority financing after delivery the way Rosenbauer does? That arrangement has made the difference between getting an aerial device this year instead of next year (or later.)

If they do- it opens up the contender list for our incoming requirement for heavy rescue. Right now, Rosy sort of has the market cornered.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eno821302 View Post
    Will Smeal take majority financing after delivery the way Rosenbauer does? That arrangement has made the difference between getting an aerial device this year instead of next year (or later.)

If they do- it opens up the contender list for our incoming requirement for heavy rescue. Right now, Rosy sort of has the market cornered.
    With "most" reputable companies payment isn't due until the unit is delivered and accepted. If you finance typically the first payment is due 10-12 months after you sign the contract on the lease.

There are ways to pay for the unit that will give discounts and this differs by manufacturer as we found out. I hope this helps.

Hrod what is the Zico rack for, ladders?

Quote Originally Posted by Eno821302 View Post

Might be different in Canada, but here in the states there are a number of firms that specialize in municipal lease and finance programs that give a number of options to departments purchasing rigs, and many are not tied specifically to any one builder. Baystone and First Bankers are two that come to mind. I could use them when I sold Rosenbauer, and I can use them as I sell Toyne.

I always tell customers looking to finance to approach their locally owned banks for help as well, sometimes they will put together a nice package and "advertise" the way they support their community.

Maybe I'm missing something?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Zico clarification

Tower47- The Zico ladder is the egress for the coffin storage on drivers side. Hydraulic folding (ground ladder) storage on the officers side. Sorry if confusing, hope that clarifies. And I also mis-typed the foam cell is 30 gal, not 25.

Also, financing is something that we found varied company to company, and in some cases good, others not so. Pre-payment discounts were larger than I ever dreamed with one builder, but we chose to do the chassis on delivery.

This rescue project is HUGE for us. We cannot express how thankful we are to our board for their positive input, and backing. The whole deal has been a wirl-wind, just wish it was here.

The scene cameras are looking to be a neat deal, any thoughts or advise would as hilgerone put, would be appreciated.

Just curious, whom all did you guys get bids from?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bids were received (in random order)-

-Pierce
    -Crimson
    -Smeal

Another was asked, but either was lost in the mail, or was never sent. Hard to figure out why you have to try sooo hard to get a company to sell you a fire truck. I mean really, if a department is spending $500k or so, you would think companies would jump on it.... But I guess the level of customization might have had something to do with it. It was never a one man race, ended with Pierce and Smeal. The little things really added up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry to all, my account has been all jacked up lately, and my responces have been delayed. Might be because of the fact of the overally 'newness' of my account. Hopefully all of my replys will be understandable.

I'll try to piece in all the answers to the questions asked so far.

*The Zico ladder is the egress point for the coffin storage on the drivers side. The hydraulic (ground) ladder storage is on the officers side.

*Whe asked 4 companies to bid on our specs, in no particular order:

-crimson
    -pierce
    -smeal

Another company was asked, but the proposal was either lost in the mail, or not sent out at all. Weird. Amazing how a builder has the chance to sell a $500k Rescue Pumper, and isn't there trying to beat your door down. I just thought it was odd.

*Eno8- majority financing after delivery? I guess I would have to pass that one off to someone from Smeal or their reps., our truck was quoted to us in a couple of different ways, but I don't know if what you're asking was one of them... sorry for the lack of knowledge.
    Last edited by hrod007; 05-27-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Thread Information