Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tazman7 View Post
    Are you serious? You must be joking... If you have never taken their dumb tests then you have no room for comment. These tests are ridiculous. Like others have said, it takes people who are basically lucky enough to pass the test with a good enough percentage, then they are called "firefighters"
    I said in an earlier post I took it. I made a 94.

....Then I went through the rest of the process. Then I got hired. I went through the academy. I graduated - that's when I became a FF. Not by passing a I/O test but by getting the necessary certifications and getting sworn in.

I've done this with my current department and my previous one. Both career departments. Both I got hired on my first try.

That's not luck.

I, and others, assisted xstalkrx and other potential candidates with a hiring process at our city's department. When he didn't make the cut he whined and made all sorts of accusations. At one point he called himself a FF/EMT without having the necessary qualifications. My original rant towards him stems from that.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    I said in an earlier post I took it. I made a 94.

....Then I went through the rest of the process. Then I got hired. I went through the academy. I graduated - that's when I became a FF. Not by passing a I/O test but by getting the necessary certifications and getting sworn in.

I've done this with my current department and my previous one. Both career departments. Both I got hired on my first try.

That's not luck.

I, and others, assisted xstalkrx and other potential candidates with a hiring process at our city's department. When he didn't make the cut he whined and made all sorts of accusations. At one point he called himself a FF/EMT without having the necessary qualifications. My original rant towards him stems from that.
    Very well said!
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

Just took the test this past weekend for the first time. Of course a few of the math problems stumped me... mainly the one or two that asked,

"If the fire truck is traveling at 45 mph, and the fire station is located 4 miles away, how long will it take to arrive?"

I was never good at those type of questions. We'll see how I do later this week.

Forum Member

I took the online nfsi practice a bit ago and made a 91....this kinda makes me mad !!! haha
    I expected to miss only a few of the reading section and thats it!!! Instead i get 83% of the reading!! So anyways i basically missed mostly reading, couple math (dunno where), and got 100% spelling/gram. I did take this at 130am to about 230am though......brain is a bit tired and i might have been rushing it a bit.
    I might be wrong here but it seems a few of you have taken practice personality inventory tests from the way ive read posts....am i wrong?/where are those?!?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by csvt18 View Post
    Just took the test this past weekend for the first time. Of course a few of the math problems stumped me... mainly the one or two that asked,

"If the fire truck is traveling at 45 mph, and the fire station is located 4 miles away, how long will it take to arrive?"

I was never good at those type of questions. We'll see how I do later this week.
    4/45=.089 (ish) hours.........then convert hours to minutes with .089X60=

5.33 min roughly hope thats right anyway....

edit: and i just realized how long ago yall posted this stuff...wow

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Th3 Speed View Post
    4/45=.089 (ish) hours.........then convert hours to minutes with .089X60=

5.33 min roughly hope thats right anyway....

edit: and i just realized how long ago yall posted this stuff...wow
    It looks right... 2:30 am so i can't really tell right now
    Last edited by d.ray07; 05-07-2010 at 03:30 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just took the exam for the third different agency in the past three years. I've scored 79%, 100%, and now 79.29%. That last percentage is not even possible based on 105 or 155 total points. So, I ask...

Does anyone have any clue how this test is scored?!?!?!?!

Also, I identified 2 questions on the exam that contained mistakes. How does this company keep fooling cities into buying their invalid exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Just took the exam for the third different agency in the past three years. I've scored 79%, 100%, and now 79.29%.

Does anyone have any clue how this test is scored?!?!?!?!

Sorry about your score, hewartson. And I say that with all sincerity. From what I've gathered in various Michigan departments, the test is weighted against others in the same test batch. So, maybe your second group was weaker, so your score was in the top 1 percentile. The other tests you took, you had stronger candidates around you. It doesn't mean you answered everything correctly, like many believe.

I do offer the following piece of advice (besides the always-helpful "be honest" tidbit many throw around): They're looking for the top 5% to interview. You come in with a bag full of flaws, you may as well stay home. You don't have what it takes to make this ultra-competitive cut. So, channel your inner superhero / perfect firefighter / whatever, go in there and knock those questions out. Don't go in weak-minded & flawed. . .that's suicide especially on io solutions tests.

If you "just be honest", you'll do a lot more of these tests in the next twenty years, until you're lucky enough to be surrounded by a hungover group who can't finish their exams on time.

Good luck, hewartson. Show no mercy.

Forum Member

That weeds people out who don't really want the job. It causes people who can't handle the process to be knocked off their game so they can't get hired. If you can't get through a hiring process you don't deserve the job.

Thread Information