Forum Member

Default i/o solutions & publicsafetytesting.com personality test advice?

I've previously posted this under another forum category with no responses...I think this may be a more appropriate category, so I'm posting it here as well....

I've gone through the forums and searched and read everything I could find. Nothing is at all conclusive. I thought I'd throw this out there one more time in hopes that someone - somewhere might have a bit of valuable advice to give.

I've taken the I/O solutions test through publicsafetytesting.com 3 times now and recieved a 95, 77, and 92 respectively. First time I took the test I answered with the first thing that came to mind on the personality questions. Second time I only answered strongly agree or strongly disagree to the personality questions, and the third time, I was kinda half-way between the two.

I've read in many places that the ideal firefighter is a type A personality....and these personality tests say that you can't "play" them....well, aren't they shooting themselves in the foot...???....because it is a classic trait of a type A personality to try to figure something like this out and they're bound to overthink and try to "play" these answers. Thats exactly what happened to me on the second test.

Has anyone taken one of these tests and scored above a 98 that would be willing to discuss their strategy or plan...whatever...if you even had one?

I also wonder what ever happened to hiring someone off of their credentials. I have two college degrees, one in fire science...HazMat Tech, EMT...etc...etc...etc....and I can't even get an interview because a FLAWED test makes it look like I'm not very smart or don't have the right personality. I guarantee that most guys who've been in the ground pounding, trigger pulling portion of the military (specially the USMC) has the right personality to be successful in the fire service......I'm ranting!

As you can tell, I'm a little disgruntled with the I/O solutions and publicsafetytesting.com testing methods.

ANY ADVICE or direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Added note: I've seen the "Cap'n Bob" and "Cap'n Rob" posts pushing the websites trying to sell practice tests. Don't bother posting...I'm not buying it.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to throw me a bone!

Forum Member

Default IO Safety

I feel your pain, I went from an 88 to a 94 and back to an 88... what a waste of money!

Then about a month ago I took it again, went in with a totally "whatever" attitude (i.e. I refused to stress about it in any way). I took my time answering every question. I swear that there are a few of the regular questions that tricked me the previous times. As far as the personality test went, I just stuck to agree or disagree. I think I used strongly only once and I don't remember which way it was... I never used "not sure" or what ever the middle one was.

I got 100.

I wish I'd taken the time to memorize every one of my answers to those personality questions. I just hope someone hires before this list gets refreshed in 6 months!

BTW, they even came out and told us at the beginning of the test that:
    "people with previous experience usually over think these questions and don't do very well"

Hmmmm, that sounds like an admission that their "personality" test is biased... considering that this is a test you pay to take, and it involves government jobs, you might have a good complaint to the state's Attorney General's office.

But since I scored 100 this go around, I ain't complaining to anybody yet!

BTW I have 9 years full time paid experience in a department of about 130 full time (no vollies). I have always gotten along really well with all of my co-workers, even ones that had political/social/religious views that were 180 degrees from mine. Unfortunately these crackpots at these test writing companies depend on convicing their customers that they can predict your personality with scientific accuraccy. B.S!!!!!

I have take the FireTEAM test twice in the last 3 months and got an 85 and and 82 on the personality portion. Unfortunately they count that as about 90% of your score! I scored 96-100 on all of the other sections but my overall score for the test was only 1 point higher than the personality section.

Funny thing, I've taken Seattle's test (2.5 hour study period to memorize a stack of info, then 120 question test) two years in a row and score a 98 both times. Both times I made it through all three oral boards, the psych, and the cpat, but didn't get picked for the class. Afte so many oral boards with Seattle I know I could do well at one of the smaller departments if I could just get past thier freakin' written.

Seattle used the FireTEAM personality portion one year, everyone did terrible (I got a 72!) and they dropped it like a hot rock. (the info that 'everyone' did terrible came from one of the HR people at SFD)

So, the only thing I can say is keep it middle of the road. And if you do get hired, after you get off probation lobby to stop using companies that use "personality" tests.

Forum Member

Default I tried to reply....

I posted a lengthy reply shortly after joining as a forum member, but none of my postings appear. Do posts have to be approved by a moderator first??? WTF?

edit: The "moderated" disclaimer went by so fast I didn't see it.
    Last edited by BearTech; 05-28-2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: D'oh!

Forum Member

I did the strategy of marking either strongly agree or strongly disagree. I also drew skeleton lines on my test connecting related questions so that I'd be sure my answers didn't contradict each other. Through all that I made a 94, but I also don't feel like I performed as well on other parts of the test.

Forum Member

Sorry so long to reply...I've been out of town.

Thanks for all of the input...if/when I do get hired on, I'll definitely be a proponent for dropping this type of testing!

I've only got about a week and a half before the test...any advice on how to get geared up for the first 105 questions?? I've just been taking a ****load of practice tests and hoping that will work.

Thanks again!

Owensborofire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default to beartech

Beartech did you score this 100 on the publicsafetytesting.com site or through a fire department. The best advice I have gotten was from a freind who got on a department that has the I/o test. His advice on psych "be a suckass".

There is really nothing you can do to try and "play" the personality portion of the test, just answer honestly. I answered all of the questions as I actually felt, and I ended up with 100% on public safety's test. I do remember that I only used the "not sure" box on one answer though.

Forum Member

I took PST's IO solutions test directly from them. Funny thing is I don't remember ever putting "not sure" on any of them. I figured they are looking for people who are very sure or at least have an opinion. Whether or not you can "play" the personality tests is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it's not science, so please leave it out of my test, thank you. If you want to give me an MMPI or some other "validated" test instrument, that's fine. But 50 questions does not qualify as a valid psychometric instrument. They just want to be able to sell their customers (Fire Departments) on the pipe dream that they can deliver the "correct" personality from this test. Quite frankly, as I've state before, announcing to everyone at the test that "people with previous experience tend to over-analyze the questions and thus do poorly" is opening your company to a suite where someone can claim that your test discriminates a certain segment of the population. How ironic is it that it also happens to be people who fire departments might just WANT to hire. Purchased tests are just like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Forum Member

I just took the test for a FD (not going to mention the name) through I/O solutions and we took the test on Saturday June 28th and they said that we wouldnt be finding out our scores until the week of July 7th. Well on June 30 I recieved an email saying that i didnt even get a 70% on the test. I know something is messed up because thats the worst I have ever done on a test for a FD, and that was the easiest one so far.

So i called and asked them if they could hand grade it since I messed up on the test and had to erase half of it and they said that they go through and clean up all of the eraser marks on every test....so you are going to tell me from saturday the 28th at 4:00pm until 9:00am june 30th they went through 100 tests, cleaned up the eraser marks, graded them, sorted them, figured out who passed and who didnt, and send out letters on who passed and who didnt...I have a hard time believing that.

Also, I asked what my score was on the test and what areas of the test I did the worst on and she said that she cant release any information about the test
    Last edited by tazman7; 07-15-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Forum Member

Tazman.....

I think the best way to up your score on that worthless test is to just bite the bullet and take it several times. Unless you luck out and answer the personality questions right the first time, it just takes a bit of practice to figure out a better idea of what kind of answers will score well. I took the test around 5 or 6 times before I finally got an interview. I just barely squeaked in though...thankfully I have the veterans points that will put me right back up there with those who scored 99's and above.

I actually heard of someone who scored a 100% on the test. I wonder HOW the hell that happened!

MembersZone Subscriber

Content removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Forum Member

Default No logic involved

Martz, don't even give them the credit by referring to their psych test as being based on logic, it isn't. I also took the June 28th 2008 test, and in front of all of those people the PST employee said "people with previous experience tend to over analyze the questions and do poorly. It's not enough to say "boycott PST" because there will always be hundreds of people who want to be a firefighter who will take their test. It's going to take people who got hired, but still feel these personality tests are silly, to lobby their departments to stop using them. Or get as many people as possible who were there for that statement, to file a complaint with the State Attorney General's office. You can do it here online : http://www.atg.wa.gov/FileAComplaint.aspx

I actually scored 100 on that test, but I still think the psych portion is bogus.

PST had previously announced before the test that they had "re-validated" the test by giving it to hundreds of Chicago firefighters. I have a real problem with the term "validated". Just because ninety something percent of a big fire department give certain answers, doesn't mean that their test is valid.

I took their test again a few weeks ago and got a 97.75.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just took mine in Lynnwood this morning (my aberdeen test got moved, haha). The personality trait questions are still as weird as i remember! They changed the "testing cycle" deal again, now you have to wait 6 months in between instead of using the bi-annual test cycles? Does anyone know, what are the testing and re-testing guidelines for the CPAT? It seems to have gotten more expensive to.... $99 now! Thanks, stay safe guys!
    Mike S.
    ASSUME GOOD INTENT:
    This comment is intended to be taken at face value. Nothing in this comment should be interpreted as anything more than what is written. There’s no hidden meaning, and I’m not upset about anything.
    It’s not intended to upset anybody, “beat a political drum”, or “stir the pot”. There’s no need to try to read in between the lines.
    It’s just not that deep, so stop looking for something that isn’t there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fullback36 View Post
    I've previously posted this under another forum category with no responses...I think this may be a more appropriate category, so I'm posting it here as well....

I've gone through the forums and searched and read everything I could find. Nothing is at all conclusive. I thought I'd throw this out there one more time in hopes that someone - somewhere might have a bit of valuable advice to give.

I've taken the I/O solutions test through publicsafetytesting.com 3 times now and recieved a 95, 77, and 92 respectively. First time I took the test I answered with the first thing that came to mind on the personality questions. Second time I only answered strongly agree or strongly disagree to the personality questions, and the third time, I was kinda half-way between the two.

I've read in many places that the ideal firefighter is a type A personality....and these personality tests say that you can't "play" them....well, aren't they shooting themselves in the foot...???....because it is a classic trait of a type A personality to try to figure something like this out and they're bound to overthink and try to "play" these answers. Thats exactly what happened to me on the second test.

Has anyone taken one of these tests and scored above a 98 that would be willing to discuss their strategy or plan...whatever...if you even had one?

I also wonder what ever happened to hiring someone off of their credentials. I have two college degrees, one in fire science...HazMat Tech, EMT...etc...etc...etc....and I can't even get an interview because a FLAWED test makes it look like I'm not very smart or don't have the right personality. I guarantee that most guys who've been in the ground pounding, trigger pulling portion of the military (specially the USMC) has the right personality to be successful in the fire service......I'm ranting!

As you can tell, I'm a little disgruntled with the I/O solutions and publicsafetytesting.com testing methods.

ANY ADVICE or direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Added note: I've seen the "Cap'n Bob" and "Cap'n Rob" posts pushing the websites trying to sell practice tests. Don't bother posting...I'm not buying it.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to throw me a bone!
    I got a 100 on the I/O solutions firefighter exam. I answered some questions strongly agree and some questions just agree. I don't remember which ones I answered which way.

I just took the test again recently for another city and made a freaking 74............................................

I am furious with this BS testing method.

Forum Member

Thank you. You make me feel sane! (and that i should really say hi to more of you when I am at PST, as you are probably sitting next to me!)

I have taken so many tests at PST in LynHOOD that they actually know me by first name. (To be honest I have worked at 2 911 centers, and thier testing is much more indepth, so I spent days with the staff there). You would think that after all that they would just hand me a paper with a score instead of the test book each time. (they know everything about me from the testing and full background investigation, along with phsycological interview w/ thier psychologist). They even know my credit scores!

Oh well... Will be going back sometime soon..anyone know when Everett is hiring again?
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Forum Member

I'm going to share two questions I recently had on an NFSI test:

1)Do you think the world is a dangerous place?
    2)Do you think things in life are an accident waiting to happen?

How do these pertain to being a FF? Can anyone shed some light b/c I am stumped why these questions were asked and how they should be answered?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fireteam Test

Has anyone here taken the fireteam video test and how did you do? I have been a full-time professional firefighter/paramedic in a busy but economically challenged area for over 10 yrs. I was laid off last year and so it has placed me in a position of having to test places all over again. I have always tried to be knowledgeable of my job and feel that I have had a great attitude toward continued training. However, nothing has prepared me to be ready for this new wave of fire tests. It seems knowing your fire essentials and EMS has gone out the window. I am not even opposed to math and reading comprehension being on a test, but why did departments stop asking questions about fire fighting? I have actually taken the fireteam test twice with an average over-all score of 85-90%. However, for some reason I am having trouble with the mechanical aptitude portion where you have to watch some brick making factory. I was told that even though I had an over-all passing score, that I failed the test because I failed the mechanical portion. I guess it is like registry where you must pass every section. I know that I am not a dumb *** and I feel I have a good handle on mechanical principles. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Both times I failed that section by one question. I know several experienced firefighters that have failed this test. In fact one of the guys who failed the test was a Lieutenant that is very respected in the city for being an outstanding firefighter. I am completely discouraged and I am afraid of what the fire service is going to today. Have we no value anymore for guys who have been on doing the job?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heatmizer View Post
    I know several experienced firefighters that have failed this test. In fact one of the guys who failed the test was a Lieutenant that is very respected in the city for being an outstanding firefighter. I am completely discouraged and I am afraid of what the fire service is going to today. Have we no value anymore for guys who have been on doing the job?
    Nope. We have now outsourced everything. Instead of just going before whatever department you want to work for, showing them your skills, showing them your certs, and meeting with the chief, instead you take a dummed down physical challenge that has nothing to do with actual work on a fire scene, and take a test that seems to give random results back just to pay for an organization to get lots of money and drain firefighters of cash when looking for a job.
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

Forum Member

Default I/O solutions study guide enhanced version

Has anybody taken the I/O enhanced version exam? This is a 100 question practice test. I have a few wrong answers that I cannot find the solution too.
    #74 on pg. 38
    #91 on pg. 40
    #95 on pg.41 it ask about FL=CQ2L

I would appreciate if someone can help me.
    my email is sonoenergy.net

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gilnorwalk View Post
    Has anybody taken the I/O enhanced version exam? This is a 100 question practice test. I have a few wrong answers that I cannot find the solution too.
    #74 on pg. 38
    #91 on pg. 40
    #95 on pg.41 it ask about FL=CQ2L

I would appreciate if someone can help me.
    my email is sonoenergy.net
    Gil, if I happen to get those q's right I'll be sure to let you know how I arrived at the answers (I'm sure I'll be asking you for the same!).

Does anyone know how the point totals go for this type of exam? I know you only get points for right answers, but with 155 questions (105/50 psychological) I assume each right answer isn't worth 1 point. Is it .64516 per right answer (100/155)? Or am I completely off?

Forum Member

took the test, will get back to you with possible answers...
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 06-01-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    I got a 100 on the I/O solutions firefighter exam. I answered some questions strongly agree and some questions just agree. I don't remember which ones I answered which way.

I just took the test again recently for another city and made a freaking 74............................................

I am furious with this BS testing method.
    Quit complaining and calling testing methods BS. Are they tiresome? Frustrating? Yes they are. That weeds people out who don't really want the job. It causes people who can't handle the process to be knocked off their game so they can't get hired. If you can't get through a hiring process you don't deserve the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    Quit complaining and calling testing methods BS. Are they tiresome? Frustrating? Yes they are. That weeds people out who don't really want the job. It causes people who can't handle the process to be knocked off their game so they can't get hired. If you can't get through a hiring process you don't deserve the job.

Ugggghhhh........ are you for real.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carey14 View Post
    Ugggghhhh........ are you for real.......
    Yes I am. My response was directed at xstalkrx. No one else.
    Last edited by agavegrove; 08-28-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    Yes I am. My response was directed at xstalkrx. No one else.
    Are you serious? You must be joking... If you have never taken their dumb tests then you have no room for comment. These tests are ridiculous. Like others have said, it takes people who are basically lucky enough to pass the test with a good enough percentage, then they are called "firefighters"

Thread Information