Department: FIRE & RESCUE SERV
    Job Type: Open and Competitive
    Full/Part-Time:
    Full-Time
    Eligible For: Full Benefits
    Reg/Temp:
    Regular

JOB DESCRIPTION

Loudoun County, VA, Department of Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management will establish an eligibility pool for the position of Fire Fighter/EMT to fill regular, full-time position vacancies. Through Loudoun County’s high performance combination career-volunteer system, the Department of Fire, Rescue, and Emergency Management provides skilled emergency and non-emergency related services including: fire suppression, basic and advanced pre-hospital emergency medical care, hazardous materials response, technical rescue operations, public education and information, and related duties while promoting core values that include Teamwork, Integrity, Professionalism and Service. We are especially seeking Advanced Life Support (ALS) Providers. ALS certified providers become eligible for a base pay increase once locally authorized. All candidates will be required to successfully complete a Fire-Rescue Recruit School before being assigned to a county fire and rescue Station. Written testing for these positions will be given at a minimum of quarterly.
    JOB REQUIREMENTS

Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma/G.E.D. Requires valid Divers License and age 18 or older at time of application. As part of the selection process, applicants may be disqualified for use of drugs, certain driving violations, or other factors based on selection criteria. For more detailed information, call 703-737-8219.
    SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS

Preferences will be given to those candidates possessing one or more of the following: VA EMT-I, VA EMT-P, or National Registry EMT-Intermediate/Paramedic, Loudoun County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Experience and/or Military Experience. To be considered, applicants must submit a County of Loudoun Application electronically.
    POST CONDITIONAL OFFER CONTINGENCIES

Selection process: Candidates must successfully pass a Comprehensive Written Examination, Physical Ability Test, Polygraph Examination, Background Check/ Personal History Review, NFPA 1582 Medical Examination/Substance Abuse Screening, and an in person interview to be placed in the eligibility pool. The eligibility pool will stay on file for at least nine months.

Good thing's happening

What is it like there ? I haven't Heard too much about Loudoun County Fire other than just now. So if you know anything about it please share.

Rob

Forum Member

Default Western Fairfax (Loudoun)

Loudoun is a nice place. we lived in Stone Ridge and it is great other than 50 during rush hour! We used to joke and call it western Fairfax. But my understanding is that the eastern part of the county is a lot different than the western parts.

The only issue is the 10G difference in pay between FFx and Loudoun. On the upside though there should be great promotion potential since it is a fairly young and growing department.

insert witty title here

The pay may not be the same as Fairfax or PWC, but the benefits are probably the best in the area, especially if you have a family. It's a growing department(about 450 IIRC). As stated, it's a great department to move up in. You can probably make Lt. in about 5 years depending on your background. The east end is the busiest. The west end is slow, but is where most of the 24 hour career staffed stations are(24/72 shift) Most of the other stations are 5/12(mon-fri, 0600-1800 with a rotating day off) or 7/12. It has the toughest PT program in recruit school around. If you are out of shape and do not like doing a ton of cross training everyday, this might not be the place for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymader View Post
    The pay may not be the same as Fairfax or PWC, but the benefits are probably the best in the area, especially if you have a family. It's a growing department(about 450 IIRC). As stated, it's a great department to move up in. You can probably make Lt. in about 5 years depending on your background. The east end is the busiest. The west end is slow, but is where most of the 24 hour career staffed stations are(24/72 shift) Most of the other stations are 5/12(mon-fri, 0600-1800 with a rotating day off) or 7/12. It has the toughest PT program in recruit school around. If you are out of shape and do not like doing a ton of cross training everyday, this might not be the place for you.
    What is the likelihood of a new hire getting a 24/72 shift? Are shifts chosen by seniority? What is the retirement?

insert witty title here

Quote Originally Posted by dlnorth View Post
    What is the likelihood of a new hire getting a 24/72 shift? Are shifts chosen by seniority? What is the retirement?

It depends on the needs of the stations at time of graduation. Most people want a 24/72 so you'd have to be top of the class to be considered for one. Even then, theres no guarantee that you will be assigned to one. Retirement is 35 years I believe. I'll have to double check for you.

Good thing's happening

hey Jeremy can you hit me up with a message ? I have to ask you something.

Rob

Forum Member

Default staff distribution

Here are a few questions you may be able to answer.

So far as the shifts go, are more FFs staffing the 12 hr shifts or the 24?

Is it really 24/72 not 24/48? If so that is a pretty sweet deal.

Does being an ALS provider make an impact on the potential for where you are assigned?

Do you know what the pay upgrade is for being an ALS provider or does it vary based on experience etc?

thanks for your insight.

insert witty title here

Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    Here are a few questions you may be able to answer.

So far as the shifts go, are more FFs staffing the 12 hr shifts or the 24?

Is it really 24/72 not 24/48? If so that is a pretty sweet deal.

Does being an ALS provider make an impact on the potential for where you are assigned?

Do you know what the pay upgrade is for being an ALS provider or does it vary based on experience etc?

thanks for your insight.
    There are seven 24/72 houses, out of currently 17 combo houses. Majority of the others are 7/12 and a couple 5/12s.

It's a real 24/72(like DC).

You will ride a bus for a while if you are ALS. If I recall correctly, the upgrade is about $12,000

Forum Member

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks Jeremy

Forum Member

How do you like the 12 hour shifts?..I know most place around here do 24..

Anybody know what kind of questions they ask during the poly? Polygraphs are illegal in MD(with the exception of police recruitment) so I've never been through one..
    Last edited by somebody509; 05-24-2008 at 12:29 PM.

insert witty title here

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    How do you like the 12 hour shifts?..I know most place around here do 24..

Anybody know what kind of questions they ask during the poly? Polygraphs are illegal in MD(with the exception of police recruitment) so I've never been through one..
    Some folks love the 12 hour shifts if they live in the area. They get to see their family every night. Others that have to drive a great distance, not so much. I know one guy who works a 5/12 that lives in Charlottesville that drives to Sterling.

The poly questions are looking for drugs, stealing, sexual perversions, arrest background etc. They give you a big questionnaire and depending on what and how you answer, they will use some of those questions and have you talk about them. Then they will tell you what questions they will ask and say "Besides from what we have already discussed, have you ever..." Of course, its helpful to be honest. Polygraphs are BS IMO. You can lie and pass and tell the truth and fail(I know people who have done both). It depends on how calm you are. It helps to read up on how they work and what they are doing and looking for so you aren't that nervous when you are going through it.
    Last edited by jeremymader; 05-24-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Forum Member

so who staffs units after 1800? Volunteers? Or are there 12 hour night shifts as well?

insert witty title here

so who staffs units after 1800? Volunteers? Or are there 12 hour night shifts as well?
    Vollies at night and weekends

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymader View Post
    Vollies at night and weekends
    That may be less and less of a factor. I dont know what staffing is like for you guys but with our vol. rescue squad here in richmond it is getting harder and harder to keep up with our staffing levels.

insert witty title here

That may be less and less of a factor. I dont know what staffing is like for you guys but with our vol. rescue squad here in richmond it is getting harder and harder to keep up with our staffing levels.
    There are two Rescue Squads that are 24/7 100% vollie. They are struggling during the day, but like majority of the houses, are staffing nights and weekends well. Like Prince William, it's slowly shifting to career staff. It's a fast growing county. It's a good time to get in.

Forum Member

whats the call volume like there?

Forum Member

just saw the news about the 5 injured FF's....Thoughts and prayers with the injured brothers.

Good thing's happening

just saw the news about the 5 injured FF's....Thoughts and prayers with the injured brothers.
    6 FF's apparently..

A working house fire in Loudoun County, VA injured 6 Firefighters this afternoon with at least 2 of the Firefighters being flown (with very serious burns) by helicopter to MedStar Trauma Center in Washington, DC. The single family dwelling fire was on Meadowbrook Court, which is east of Leesburg and west of Ashburn. Firefighters were operating interior when conditions rapidly changed, forcing them to bail out of the structure-some from the 2nd floor windows. At some point, we have been advised that there was also a collapse of the second floor. The 3 who were the most seriously injured went to MedStar (1 by ground EMS) and the balance were taken to Loudoun Hospital Center at Landsdowne/Ashburn with 1 Firefighter treated at the scene. The residents were not home at the time of the fire and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
    Additional updates will follow...keep them in your prayers.
    Take Care-BE CAREFUL.
    BillyG
    The Secret List 5-25-08 / 1726 hours
    www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

Guys take care you are in my thoughts and prayers

Rob

just seen the abc7 news report...

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0508/522909.html
    Last edited by eaglesrule1024; 05-25-2008 at 11:12 PM.

Forum Member

one report said between ashburn and leesburg but it is north of 7 on mapquest.

but your guys are definately in our hearts and prayers!!

john

Forum Member

Default civil service test required ?

I'm moving to poolesville MD , and would like to apply to any good fire houses in the area.

Will I be required to take civil service tests for MD and VA ?

What other tests will I need to take to get accepted ?

insert witty title here

Quote Originally Posted by 21Mike View Post
    I'm moving to poolesville MD , and would like to apply to any good fire houses in the area.

Will I be required to take civil service tests for MD and VA ?

What other tests will I need to take to get accepted ?
    All of the large departments require you to take a written, CPAT or some other physical agility test, medical, police and poly if you are looking to work in VA. The City of Fairfax, City of Manassas, Manassas Park and the MWAA(airports) will hire you with Firefighter II and EMT-B(or medic)

insert witty title here

whats the call volume like there?
    I think there was about 30,000 calls for the county last year if I heard correctly. The East end is much busier than the West end.

insert witty title here

one report said between ashburn and leesburg but it is north of 7 on mapquest.

but your guys are definately in our hearts and prayers!!

john
    All but one of the FF's is out of the hospital. The one still in is doing well. Thanks for the well wishes.

MembersZone Subscriber

What type of physical ability test does Loudoun county use? Is it a CPAT?

Thread Information