Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Building codes updated, hopefully

I'm not sure if this "zero lot line" is a problem in other jurisdictions, but this fire was only 1 of several where the fire spread quickly due to radiant heat and "chip board" sheeting on exterior walls. A lot of the new dubdivisions here more resemble a row of dominos than a residential district. Edmontons fire chief Randy Wolsey deserves a lot of credit for getting this problem addressed.

Alberta toughens building, fire codes in response to huge Edmonton housing fire

THE CANADIAN PRESS

EDMONTON - Alberta is changing the way some homes are built to try to prevent another fire like the one that destroyed 88 homes in Edmonton last summer.

The province is announcing amendments to its building and fire codes Friday for houses built close together. The Canadian Press has learned that slower-burning gypsum wallboard will now be required under vinyl siding in high-density neighbourhoods where homes are built 1.2 metres or less from the property line.

Edmonton fire Chief Randy Wolsey said a few months ago that manufactured wood products used under vinyl siding were burning much too quickly, putting public safety at risk.

Wolsey says using gypsum wallboard instead will probably improve safety, but he wants to hear more details before commenting further.

Municipal Affairs Minister Ray Danyluk is holding a demonstration Friday of how quickly certain building materials burn.

© The Canadian Press, 2008

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well..........

A Salute to the Chief for being Proactive and moving forward on this, but Sprinklers would also do a lot to address the problem. Our "Setback" requirements vary, but 20 feet is usually the minimum. With that, our Fires which actually extend to exposures are faily few. We get a few each year, due to a number of factors, but extension to an exposure from a Sprinklered property hasn't happened. Our Sprinkler Law has been in place since 1992, and we're up to about 35,000 (about 10% of the County Total) dwelling units that are Sprinklered.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Harve
    I agree, sprinkler installs on all new buildings would be a big help up this way, especially with lack of setbacks. Unfortunately, costs rear the ugly head. With Randy Wolsey, hopefully things will change for the better. As it stands now, I believe only apartment buildings and commercial require sprinklers, and I stand to be corrected on that if its not in codes. Biggest problem is, nobody thinks its necessary until they experience a BFF involving themselves or loved ones

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    A Salute to the Chief for being Proactive and moving forward on this, but Sprinklers would also do a lot to address the problem. Our "Setback" requirements vary, but 20 feet is usually the minimum. With that, our Fires which actually extend to exposures are faily few. We get a few each year, due to a number of factors, but extension to an exposure from a Sprinklered property hasn't happened. Our Sprinkler Law has been in place since 1992, and we're up to about 35,000 (about 10% of the County Total) dwelling units that are Sprinklered.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

We have some zero lot line developments, but no fire experience in them yet. They are very popular, and I expect to see more in the future.

Perhaps the problem is the siding and not the substrate. Usually buildings in close proximity have restrictions on openings and combustibility of exterior coverings. Replace the vinyl siding with brick or fiber-cement lap siding and many of the exposure problems go will probably go away.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Minimum set backs on new plats is 8', which gives 16' between structures. New construction in older sections with less we require sprinklers. Of course with the hurricane requirements, all new is block exterior so we don't have the wood frame problem.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information