Thread: CPAT Times

Forum Member

Default CPAT Times

I did a search on other people's CPAT times and couldn't find one, so I thought I would start one. Let's just say our times, to compare with others, and if you did anything special to train.

My CPAT was 8:29, which was 35 seconds faster than my practice CPAT a few weeks ago.

I didn't do anything special to train, but I do cut my own firewood so I know that helped with grip strength and the sledge hammer.

I also have a two year old so I crawl on the floor all of the time to play.

Lastly I started taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

Forum Member

I just did a CPAT about a week ago and got 8:54. I was actually stressing it. I did not have an opportunity to go to an orientation or do any kind of practice, plus I had a cold. The cold was very minor and did not effect my lungs, but I think it made me a little weak. My 4 year old son and I drove for 3.5 hours and we more or less walked straight in and I was on the stair mill within about 15 minutes. I'm 34, and without any warm-up and sitting in a car for 3.5 hours, my body was not very ready. When I was running with the hose I had crazy legs.
    I recovered as the CPAT continued, but the begining felt a little wild. My hart wasn't pumpin like it should until it was already over. Since this was my first time doing a CPAT I stayed conservative. The last thing I was willing to do was make a stupid mistake, but like I said, I still felt the crazy legs in the begining.

Forum Member

finfan you got me by a few. i ran an 8:31. I just focused on leg strength and keeping my cardio up fairly high. I lifted 4 time a week and ran 3. Just basic training but i did try to use a vest and hop on the stairmill for awhile about twice a week, and incorporated it into my workout.

Forum Member

I think I was around 8:30 as well (Maybe 8.29? - cant remember). I had to train pretty hard as I was not in good shape at all. I worked my butt off and lost 28 pounds and aced the CPAT with one of the fastest times of the day when I took it. - It felt pretty good.

I focused on strength building, and leg muscle with moderate cardio.

Forum Member

I have done it twice.
    the first one was on a nice cool day. I had trained extensively for it. Irode my bike about 90 miles a week. played racquetball for 4 hours twice a week, and most importantly I did the departments CPAT workout twice a week. It was not only a tough crossfit style workout, but I would do the stairs multiple times usually with extra weight. Point being I was ready the first time. Time was 7:52!

The second time I didnt really put much effort into training for it. A little over confident probably. It was also a reallly hot and muggy afternoon. Time was 8:55.

If you have access to it use the heck out of the training time they allow you!

MembersZone Subscriber

I took it here about a month ago, and got a 7:47. I don't feel like I'm in the greatest shape, but have been working hard for the last 6 months and I felt real good the whole time. I'm still about 20 pounds overweight (5'10" and 205 - 28 years old).

I was hoping for under 7 minutes, but that's going to be tough.

Forum Member

9:56. It was 91 degrees out and humid as a bastard.

Forum Member

8:36

I didn't do anything special to train, but I've been taking a Fire PE class constantly for the last two years. The cost of the class was a problem for me at the time so I kinda took my time so as not to screw up and fail. It was also for a renewal, and a department for which I'm high up in the hiring process ranks would've dropped me, had I failed to re-certify.

Best advice I can offer for someone going into this for the first time is to run a combination of hills and distance, hit the stairmaster with a backpack full of weights, and at least attend the orientation so you can get your hands on the equipment. A Fire PE class at a local school with a fire tech program is your best bet. And don't worry, the Biddle is much more difficult!
    Last edited by SansMustache; 07-31-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzee109 View Post
    9:56. It was 91 degrees out and humid as a bastard.
    As long as it is 10:19 or less it works!!! But you are right it was a lot hotter the second day I did it and I could not breathe for crap when I got off the stepper. My throat was sooo hot and dry it was like every breath hurt.

Thread Information