Thread: Tobacco use

makes good girls go bad

Default Tobacco use

Ya know, it kind of seems like a slap in the face of the Unions that bargined so hard for so long to get this
    Candidates must be non-users of tobacco or tobacco products for at least one (1) year, and will continue to be non-users of tobacco or tobacco products while on or off duty for the duration of their employment per F.S. 633.34 and International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Bargaining Agreement, Article 27.5, as evidenced by a sworn affidavit of the applicant.
    approved, when probies are dipping and smoking. And they blatently don't care.

Arrgh, a gripe I have.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

I'm confused....are you saying firefighters should be tobacco free?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Ya know, it kind of seems like a slap in the face of the Unions that bargined so hard for so long to get this approved, when probies are dipping and smoking. And they blatently don't care.

Arrgh, a gripe I have.
    Actually it is a state mandate, remember the affidavit you signed at the beginning of fire academy. I don't know where you got that the union bargained to get that approved, it was probably "chip" used during bargaining to get something else. And the probies that "blatantly don't care", well the rules are only as good as the enforcement. Apparently their company officers don't care about the rules either.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

What would be the punishment, if "they" decided to enforce the tobacco rule? Do all government employees have to agree not to smoke, or is it just fire fighters?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    What would be the punishment, if "they" decided to enforce the tobacco rule? Do all government employees have to agree not to smoke, or is it just fire fighters?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Hey Bull,
    As of right now it's only FD in all of Florida that has this mandate. As I understand the law, the Florida heart and lung act will provide care to firefighters after they retire for any related heart or lung maladies. The reason being the toxins associated with entering burning structures. Being that tobacco is a precursor to these problems, an affidavit is signed at the beginning of employment with any FL department. I think certain police agencies are jumping on the bandwagon though to help cut the cost of medical insurance.
    I do agree though that this a don't ask don't tell policy with certain departments and the enforcement of the rule is light at best. And AJ, I'm not sure if the unions actually went to fight for this bill or if it came about through government legislation. I'll have to admit that I am ignorant on it's beginnings. A very good thing none the less.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    Hey Bull,
    As of right now it's only FD in all of Florida that has this mandate. .
    You can add about every dept in Broward and most here in Palm Beach to that list. I can remember applying to places 10 years ago that had that mandate.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Stay Safe
    Bull
    The "punishment" is besides the point in my opinion...You know before going to the academy what the rules are in this state....While alot of people break them(mostly dippers), it's the old rule "if everyone is doing it, it's still wrong" in my opinion...

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. One other question, What happens if you do not/refuse to sign the agreement when you are going through rookie school. What about vollies who get their Certs through the Community Colleges or through their depts?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. One other question, What happens if you do not/refuse to sign the agreement when you are going through rookie school. What about vollies who get their Certs through the Community Colleges or through their depts?

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Bull,
    I never signed one during my certified training at the local fire academy. However, I did sign one with my previous department as well as my current one. Furthermore, I had to take a couple of lie detector tests to get on with my current department. As far as I know you have to sign the forms or you do not get the job. Hope this helps.
    -Rob
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

RPFERRY,

Thanks for the low down. As it stands at this time, NC does not have this type of restriction for its FF or LEO. Its just a matter of time before we do though. I recently stop smoking myself, but not nessarly just for health reasons. (Hell with the cost of gas, I had to cut back somewhere, so the smokes had to go.) I always figured that with a job where they give you a bullet proof vest and gun, along with the fact that I run into burning buildings in my spare time, lung, mouth and or throat cancer were the least of my worries. But now that I've got a little girl at home, it was time to look at the long term effects so my actions and this was a good as time as any.
    Back to the topic at hand, from what you guys have told me so far Fla's tobacco policey seems to be a good idea. The postives seem to out weigh the negatives.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Thread Information