On-board mapping software?
This is a cross post from over here - http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101081, but I thought sub-forum might get better nerd traffic. So.....
Our FD has struggled for years to get our dispatch (which handles the county fire & city fire, county law and city law enforcement) to implement a platform that would allow us to start using MDT's in our engine. The big $$$$ associated with implementing a glamorous mobile data terminal system just isn't available. So we're looking at other options (see my chief saying we're not going to wait on them any longer)
I am looking for departments that are using some ANY of mapping tool/software in their engine. Any uses that are outside of the norm would be greatly appreciated.
Just some ideas we have been throwing around:
- Wireless connection through a mounted laptop
- Using Google Maps
- Investigating all other GPS/Map software that may work
The main things we are trying to accomplish are:
- Want an electronic, searchable map with directions to the call (priority 1)
- Ideally a map w/ directions would be pushed to the engine automatically when the dispatch comes in. However, this may = too much $
- Will eventually need to access preplans of buildings etc