MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Fire Helmet stolen after tornado in NC - 05/08/08

Hey all. This is a shot in the dark, but I figured why not try? I was in a tornado on 05/08/08 in NC. Literally, I was in the center of the tornado. I was doing a walk around of a house that had a fire alarm when it touched down across the street and came my way. I was thrown five times, and my helmet was knocked off of my head. It was found, and the person who found it left it outside of their residence for me to come get. When I got there, someone had stolen it! I'd like to have it as a reminder, not for service use. It's a yellow 1010.......I know this is a needle in a haystack....but thought I'd give it a try.

I guess some firefighter saw it and snagged it. Maybe I should check eBay? More likely, its probably sitting on his wall so he can tell war stories about it.

Thanks for any help

Forum Member

I was in advance when they hit where were you? I hate to hear you helmet was stolen thats pretty beat up.
    Just my opinion.

Forum Member

There is nothing more dispicable than anyone stealing firefighting gear. What's worse is when a fellow firefighter does it to one of his/her own. I have gone out of my way to return gear, radio equipment and tools to the rightful owners. I think that this individual should be found and dealt with in the most prejudice of manners. Just my $0.02.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

KennyWood, I volunteer with Clemmons

Forum Member

Ted,

I work in Memphis.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TED1435 View Post
    I guess some firefighter saw it and snagged it. Maybe I should check eBay? More likely, its probably sitting on his wall so he can tell war stories about it.
    Why is this assumption being made? Are the firefighters in your area more prone to taking things?

Good luck in trying to find it, though.

Forum Member

Have you checked with the Lollipop Guild?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Maybe Kids??

Ted
    You might want to try to enlist some neighbor kids in searching for it. It happened to us once, kids took 2 helmets off back of truck after a fire and during clean up. They were spotted a couple days later riding their bikes with shiny yellow fire helmets on. I would really hate to think that a brother or sister would stoop to this. Glad to hear you came through this safely tho. It must have been a bit of an experience
    Bryan

Hey all. This is a shot in the dark, but I figured why not try? I was in a tornado on 05/08/08 in NC. Literally, I was in the center of the tornado. I was doing a walk around of a house that had a fire alarm when it touched down across the street and came my way. I was thrown five times, and my helmet was knocked off of my head. It was found, and the person who found it left it outside of their residence for me to come get. When I got there, someone had stolen it! I'd like to have it as a reminder, not for service use. It's a yellow 1010.......I know this is a needle in a haystack....but thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks for any help

Forum Member

KennyWood, I volunteer with Clemmons
    Cool, what a small world, I interned with them during the 07 summer. I probably met you just didnt know it.
    Just my opinion.

Forum Member

Glad you're ok. Had an SCBA mask stolen off the front bumper of a rig at a fire a few years back. Some pothead is probably smoking dope through it right now!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm glad I'm ok too! A helmet can be replaced, but lives can't.

My buddy who was with me got thrown into a wrought iron fence gate and broke it clean off the fence! It was a heck of a thing to see...very surreal. It would be nice to have that helmet back though.

The reason I think another firefighter may have taken it is because that area doesn't have any pedestrian traffic, and no kids in that area really. I figure someone was on the way home, saw it out there, and thought it would good with their collection. Why pay $200 for a used helmet when you can get one free of charge? haha

MembersZone Subscriber

That sucks.
    Glad you both made it out alright.

Forum Member

Have you checked with the Lollipop Guild?
    I'll bet those darn flying monkeys took it.

MembersZone Subscriber

This guy has it!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like I need to give the FOOLS in Wichita a call ;-)

Thread Information