Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What Were They Thinking?

Recently, two fire applicants walked out of a fire exam. Right outside the door, they started talking about the exam and discussing the questions. Little did they know, a Civil Service employee who was proctoring the exam was right around the corner. He overhead them talking, asked them for their names, and they were subsequently removed from the examination process.

The moral of the story is that if you are going to talk about the exam, wait until you get home or call someone on the phone away from the site. Don’t talk about the exam where others can possibly hear you!

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author

Go to www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 32,000 subscribers.
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 06-02-2008 at 09:26 PM.

Forum Member

Spamspamspam

BLABLABLA,BLA, Go Sell your snake oil somewhere else. Gods knows we have enough people on this web site that prey on the rookies as it is. We sure as hell don't need anymore.

Thanks, but No thanks

Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Ummmm
    Nowhere in that post does it "sell" anything.
    Just looks like some good advice for those in the testing process to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Ummmm
    I see a pointless generic story followed by a link to a site he supports. a site that sells service. its an ad.

but hey, Capt Bob et. al are allowed to do it all the time....why not someone else?

Oh wait, that's right, this guy doesn't write articles in their magazine....

I would not be surprised to the see the phantom WebTeam ban this guy.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default Dog PILE!!!

Hey ...now this is a DOG PILE !!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you have a link to this story or any evidence at all that this actually happened?

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireschool View Post
    Recently, two fire applicants walked out of a fire exam. Right outside the door, they started talking about the exam and discussing the questions. Little did they know, a Civil Service employee who was proctoring the exam was right around the corner. He overhead them talking, asked them for their names, and they were subsequently removed from the examination process.

The moral of the story is that if you are going to talk about the exam, wait until you get home or call someone on the phone away from the site. Don’t talk about the exam where others can possibly hear you!

Go to www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 32,000 subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by dlnorth View Post
    Do you have a link to this story or any evidence at all that this actually happened?
    Evidence? Hey, it's written right here, on the internet. And as you well know (or should), everything written on the internet is true.

Duh.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don McNea fire school has been around for quite awhile. I have taken his classes a few times and they are well worth it. The guy that runs it is a very well respected chief in a large city. If anyone knows anything about civil service exams it is Don McNea fire school.

Quote Originally Posted by dlnorth View Post
    While I'm sure there is no actual article on this happening, it would lend a little credibility to it if there were more details to it. (i.e.: city, date, etc.)

All in all, the advice to not walk right outside of a test and start discussing it is pretty good. Believe me, I've seen a lot of people do that walking out of an exam in front of the next group of test takers. It's all part of that whole "common sense" thing that some candidates may not possess.

Remember, departments do not have to hire you just because you showed up and took their test. Stay on the straight and narrow, stay out of trouble, keep on top of your credit, engage some common sense and you'll be a viable candidate. And that's just to be considered. Do more by being community-minded, not just because it looks good on paper, but because you want to. Be the one we want to work with for the next twenty years, and who we feel comfortable with leaving the department to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    BLABLABLA,BLA, Go Sell your snake oil somewhere else. Gods knows we have enough people on this web site that prey on the rookies as it is. We sure as hell don't need anymore.

Thanks, but No thanks

Bull
    As one of those rookies, I can tell you that the Don McNea prep sessions and study guides work. They're not selling snake oil. My scores went way up once I started attending the prep sessions. Yeah, they cost money, but no way would I be scoring interviews if it wasn't for what I learned at those classes.

And no, I am not a Don McNea employee in disguise. I would just hate for someone starting out to be discouraged from doing something that might actually really help them get the job.

Default It can happen

Look...The scenario's that are given really do happen. If you choose to go to the web stite do so...if you do not then don't. Nobody is forcing you do go there ....there is only HELP if you do. Quit your whining and dog piling as it is non-productive and wastes time. I have personally been at a test when Civil Service has D.Q. people for talking after a test. If you want the particulars I'd love to give them to you. There are other's who also try to help and every time they do ...there it is...a Big Dog Pile. Grow up and try to let those are trying to help do so.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default What not to say:

A large liberal city is conducting oral boards. When one candidate was asked why he wanted to work for their city part of his answer was he really liked the city and my wife and I were here a couple of weeks ago marching to protest the war.

How do you think this played to the 3 most conservative panel members on this department?

Fire "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Ummmm
    No. You're correct. It does not sell anything in the post. You actually have to click on the link to see what he is selling.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post
    Evidence? Hey, it's written right here, on the internet. And as you well know (or should), everything written on the internet is true.

Duh.
    That is why I asked for the link.
    Last edited by dlnorth; 06-06-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    A large liberal city is conducting oral boards. When one candidate was asked why he wanted to work for their city part of his answer was he really liked the city and my wife and I were here a couple of weeks ago marching to protest the war.

How do you think this played to the 3 most conservative panel members on this department?

Fire "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    Look who just happened by with another anecdotal story, and a convenient link to his source of income.
    Amazing this stuff is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    As one of those rookies, I can tell you that the Don McNea prep sessions and study guides work. They're not selling snake oil. My scores went way up once I started attending the prep sessions. Yeah, they cost money, but no way would I be scoring interviews if it wasn't for what I learned at those classes.

And no, I am not a Don McNea employee in disguise. I would just hate for someone starting out to be discouraged from doing something that might actually really help them get the job.
    If you want to sing Don praises, fine. I'm gald that he helped you. All I'm saying is that we have enough pan handeling on this forum as it is. Want proof? See the other "sellsman's" add above.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Thread Information