Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Current USAF enlistment procedure... no guarantee to be FF?

Hello All,

A newby here, name is Daniel. I briefly searched through the threads and didn't see any recent posts that answered my question so here goes. I just called an Air Force recruiter and asked about being a USAF FF. He said that he could definitely not guarantee me a FF position, and that they could not put anything in my contract saying that I would receive FF training. He said I would have to list 7 jobs, and whatever they needed I would get. He also wouldn't tell me the job's he had available. I mentioned that I knew they got job openings every month that needed to be filled, but he still wouldn't discuss if he had any FF positions or whether or not he would have any in the future. He said a long time ago the AF used to mention what jobs were available, but they are downsizing and can be more strict about who they accept and what jobs they give out. After reading a lot of threads about the USAF and FF's, this was not what I expected to hear. Can anyone give me some insight into the current AF enlistment procedures. Was everything this guy was telling me correct? Should I speak with different recruiters until I find one that is willing to give me what I am requesting (which is a contract that states I will be trained as a FF)? I am getting my EMT-B training at a community college, so I should have that cert. soon, but that is the only training I'll have going into the AF. Thanks!

Also, is a Pararescue Apprentice the only USAF career that offers to be trained an EMT-P? FF are trained as EMT-B as I understand, but I would like to get EMT-P training too... What are my options? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

The recruiter you spoke to is trying to get you into a more hard to fill career field; don't take the bait! Instead, ask him for information specifically on the two year enlistment option for firefighters. Basically you sign up for two years active duty, then are contracted for 4 years guard / reserve. However, after th two years, you have the option to re-enlist active duty. Either way, you get the firefighter position.

If he or she does not bite on that option, then tell him that you do not want to sign until the military puts it in writing that you are a firefighter. They will do it if they know you are serious. Recruiters have a quota and if you are ready to commit, but have conditions, I really do not see them turning you away.

As of right now, Air Force military firefighters are only EMT-B. Some Army firefighters are paramedics, but they are rare.

Forum Member

Bro 99% of recruiters are like used car sales men, they play a game and you play back. They tell you they "cant" do something, you walk out and wait for the phone call.

I dont know how the AF dose it. But when I joined the Army the recruiter really didnt help out much with the MOS stuff. It was some E-7 at MEPS that tried to give me the big green *******, untill I walked out on him. Before I was in the Army I was in the Marines so I was not going to paly any games.

When I walked out he called me back in. Made a few phone calls (make it look like he was doing his freaking job) and then "O MY GOD, there just happnds to be an opening" go freaking figure. He just happens to find a job in a MOS that always needs people, and he didnít see that before I walked out? I think not.

Any ways I got the MOS I wanted (was not in fire) and I left happy.

Lesson learned: Before you join the military just about everyone you meet is after some kind of quota. The recruiter wants to fill his numbers no matter how, the guys at MEPS need to do his as well, and the buddy that referred you is either getting a bonus OR is getting an extra stripe if he gets enough of you guys to join.

Just be carful and play the game with them.

first of all, Recruiters are going to play games. Tell him if he cannot give you USAF Fire Protection (3E7x1) you will find another recruiter who will. There are shortages and cutbacks going on right now in the career field, but if you're patient, they'll find you a slot.

Second, usaf ff's are only trained to the First Responder level, not EMT-B that was stated earlier.

good luck!

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighters graduating from tech school receive their 1st Aid / 1st Responder certification. However, most departments are getting on board with having their personnel EMTb trained. This is mainly because hospitals / clinics on each base are going away or are lacking experience, hence the need to have more medically trained personnel available.

Our department nearly held a class to get everyone EMT-B Certified.. until it came out that it would cost us $875 out of our own pockets.

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

Langley is fortunate to have EMT instructors on site that can teach for free. The only cost is for the students to get National certification. The EMTb CD-ROM that the Air Force thought would be great to use was actually turned down by National. There were some issues with how the material was taught as well as "practicals" concerns.

Most bases get their personnel certified at the State level, however when an individual (military) PCS's, they may need to get certified to the State level where they PCS'd. If they have National, then they do not have to do anything except take their required refresher training.

Thread Information