Thread: Bursitis

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bursitis

I was doing minute drills with my gear this Saturday, accidentally banged my knee, which is now ridiculously swollen. I had it evaluated by the county doc, dx prepatellar bursitis. There is no pain, discoloration, rom deficits, or loss of function, currently. Doctors orders are no academy pt for two weeks, follow the rice protocol, 400 mg ibuprofen with meals three times daily, and swimming is okay for cardio. Does anyone have any tips for a quicker recovery? More importantly, does anyone have tips to prevent recurrence of this injury? Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

You seem pretty fluent with your med-terminology. But, bursa are basically fluid jelly like sacs to reduce friction near joints. Bursitis is simply inflamation of the bursa. That rice protocol is primarily what needs to be used, and the ibuprofin for the inflamation. One trick to speed up inflamatory response is to basicaly work it out (compression, massage, swimming). Kinda tough to do on a knee, but contrast baths help with inflamation. That is cold/heat swapping. Always end on cold. It dialates and constricts vessels back and forth basically helping to pump fluid out of the area. Not sure how to prevent it though. Sorry about that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. It's fine now, after having it drained. I'm currently training hard, with no further issues. As long as I don't do Thai boxing while in the academy, my knee should be googd to go.

Thread Information