MembersZone Subscriber

Default What should I carry in my line gear?

This is my first season on a hand crew with the Forest Service. My question is what type of gear should I carry in my pack besides the gear that is issued to me? I am thinking snacks and such. Does anyone have a good list of items that they like to carry on their person while out on the line?

the most important thing to have with you is TP.Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I am on an engine so I don't know how useful my suggestions will be. I carry two MREs broken down into one, along with an assortment of bars, trail mix and usually whatever I packed for lunch for the day can go into my pack as well. If I am working a hose lay I carry a spare set of gaskets and a hose clamp. I carry a ton of water (6 liters) and some gato (2 small bottles). Since I am an emt, I carry a fairly comprehensive first aid kit. I carry a signal mirror (good for working with helicopters), a whistle (for emergencies), water purification tablets, a good sturdy space blanket (looks like a space blanket on one side and a tarp on the other), a poncho, 8 fusees for burning out or "pulling a Wag Dodge," and that is all I remember right now.

Forum Member

Question line pack suggestions...

The suggestions of what to carry are almost endless. What does your crew require you to carry? That and the type of pack will make the ultimate call on what you carry. I run an inmate hand crew, and being that we are cheap labor, stay out on the line a lot. I have the ability to have crew member carry the heavier stuff (batteries mostly) but the amount of spare room in your pack will tell you what you'll have room for. I carry a spare clamshell, headlamp, gps, kestrel weather meter, 2 mre's, 4 canteens, space blanket, beanie cap, spare socks, small bottle of green tabasco, notepad, pen & pencil, 4 fusees, helicopter signal panel, mirror, compass, and a small personnal med kit. It sounds like a lot, but small size helps keep the weight down. Depending on what is required to carry, the biggest thing that I feel makes life a bit easier would be the change of socks, beanie cap, and snacks, gum, chew, or some sort other snack that helps keep you going.

Forum Member

Well Crwb4104 and Gnufsh pretty much covered most everything I would carry as well except for a pen/pencil and a small notepad-never know when you will need it.
    MCFD Station 1- "The Second-Due Saviors."
    ***My views and/or opinions on this site are those of myself and not my department.***

Forum Member

As little as possible. But for sure toilet paper, plenty of water, some ear plugs, gps is great, but have a map and compass, and some simple first aid stuff like chapstick, bandaids, moleskins and some aspirins. Snacks such as energy bars are a good idea too,a roll of flagging tape, and a space blanket. I always have an extra pair of socks with a small bottle of foot powder, and a couple chem lights.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

MembersZone Subscriber

I second Spiper, dry socks are a must have. I also get the travel size bottle of Gold bond powder.
    It depends if you are going to be on a engine, handcrew, helitac or whatever.

Some of the specific things I carry are:
    A tin cup that fits over the bottom of a Nalgene bottle, it doesn't take up any more space and is good for cooking food or warm drinks.
    A space blanket, you never know when you are going to have to spend the night out.
    I don't carry Gatoraid or anyother pre mixed drink, takes up too much room and weighs too much. I carry sveral packets of Emergen -C, then I can mix a drink when I need to.
    If you have allergies or take and Rx medications make sure you have some in yout pack.
    If you wear contacts it is a good idea to have a spare pair and a pair of glasses. I am blind without contacts, if something got into my eye and I couldn't wear them I would be useless so I have a spare pair of glasses.
    I also have a small package of babywipes, great for a quick clean up.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not a full-time wildland guy, so I won't pretend to know what to pack for an extended incident, but we flirt with some pretty nice wildland fires here from time-to-time.

I have a multi-tool and an extra pair of leather gloves in my wildland and structure gear. Comes in handy alot.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Back In Black

I always carry this small tarp, it's like a space blanket but a little better..

A hooded sweatshirt is a must

Moleskin, not molefoam

Compass

Pen and small notepad

Extra bootlaces (the good leather ones)

pack of playing cards (you never know when you'll suddenly be staged somewhere) Uno cards if you can fit em.

Break down an MRE and keep it in your pack (or at least a packet of powdered sport drink. Just put a little in your water to give it some taste).

Waterproof matches (i've gotten the torch more than once, cuz i had the matches!)

TP (as someone else said)

Alcohol hand sanitizer (little one) Or those little handiwipes. There's nothing like having clean hands when you want to eat.

Parachute cord wound up

Take a pen cap and wind 1.5" strip of duct tape onto it... just a few feet. Nice and compact and duct tape can save your butt!

Chapstick and bug stuff

Over the counter meds (just a few of each in your day pack. I buy the little single use packets of each) get meds for the following ailments: Pain, the runs, no-runs, gas, allergies (and stings).... you get the idea.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Here is what you will find in my main gear.

Line Pack
    HOT Sauce
    Water
    Spare AA Batteries
    2 Main Entree's from MRE
    6 Fusee's
    Firing Pistol
    Chem Lights
    TP
    Spare lighter
    Signal Mirror
    First Aid Kit that attaches to harness
    Spare Gloves
    Carabiner (NFPA 2 Person Rated)
    Googles for when smoke is REAL BAD
    Some form of head ache med

Radio Harness:
    Local maps
    GPS
    Spare Clam Shell for BK
    Small pen light
    Freq cheat sheet
    pen & note pad
    Last edited by MTWILDMAN; 11-16-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTWILDMAN View Post
    Here is what you will find in my main gear.

Line Pack
    HOT Sauce
    Water
    Spare AA Batteries
    2 Main Entree's from MRE
    6 Fusee's
    Firing Pistol
    Chem Lights
    TP
    Spare lighter
    Signal Mirror
    First Aid Kit that attaches to harness
    Spare Gloves
    Carabiner (NFPA 2 Person Rated)
    Googles for when smoke is REAL BAD
    Some form of head ache med

Radio Harness:
    Local maps
    GPS
    Spare Clam Shell for BK
    Small pen light
    Freq cheat sheet
    pen & note pad
    After getting off my first Big strike team, (the Freeway complex fire in Yorba linda) I learned a few things that I defiantly would like to have for future strike teams.
    1. Cards (we were stuck in staging a long time)
    2. Forestry Belt for your Wildland pants (Believe me, this is CRUCIAL)
    3. Extra Laces
    4. A camping pillow that you can pull out of a bag and it puffs up.
    5. A sleeping bag that you don't mind getting dirty / jacked up (attach this to your out of county bag).
    6. Do your self a favor and buy some good goggles such as ESS....
    7. Clothes to change into that aren't uniform for when you're taking your 24 hrs R&R

Anyway, take from this what you want, these are just some things that I realized that I had that made a difference, or things I wished I had had.

Forum Member

Default Pack Light

working as a swamp on a type one hotshot crew I say pack as light as you can. You need to figure out how much water you need. But I carry no gatorade, just one juice and some gel packs. for food besides your regular lunch take one small meal like some packaged tuna and then some little snacks that you can eat while working. I would only take a space blanket and extra shirt if I thought we might work all night or spike out. then just your regular stuff that you are required to take like headlamps, files and what not.

Forum Member

What crew are you going to?

Thread Information