Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I thought that one of those shirts along with shiny red shorts was the department required turnouts when answering calls!!! Thats what they show in the video.
    I think the cutaway T and shiny RED shorts are summertime SOP...ONLY for the D/O's...

I wonder WHERE NIOSH, OSHA, NFPA [safety-team] is on this dept.?
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Forum Member

Another thing that I've seen in some videos is the city, company, fire dept, whatever has wasted taxpayers money to get those nice stop lights installed in front of the station to make responding to calls SAFER for BOTH citizens and firefighters but, it's soooooooooo much cooler and more exciting to just wind up the Q and scream the powercall and dash out in front of traffic. Oh ya, I'll take a few of those shirts too. Just don't come looking for me when the check goes bouncing down the streets like these "EVO's" should.

Be safe to all!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Holy Sh*t.....

I was in Kansas City, Mo, this weekend, because I was racing at Kansas Speedway in Kansas.

While going out to eat with my wife, brother, and his wife, we saw a fire run. There was an engine first, lights and siren, followed by the Battalion Chief. The Engine and BC, turned left. Then, flying like a bat out of hell, comes a tiller truck, down hill. This guy was freaking flying. So much, that I was worried about the tail driver, making the turn.

The rear steerer had the left rear tire on the edge of losing it, and looked liked he was about to loose it.

How the tiller guy saved it, I don' know. But watching it, it scared the hell out of all of us. Just wished we had a video camera to tape it. It was really that fast and bad.

FossilMedic

Default a lack of a designated adult

Ritchie VFD, like it's neighbor Kentland, have suppression rigs that are exclusively staffed with volunteers.

Unlike Kentland, most of the Ritchie volunteers are still waiting to get that career firefighter job. They are significantly younger with less experience and training. Most of the active members are under 23 years old.

Three decades ago, Prince George's County lead the DC area in the rate of line-of-duty deaths ... mostly due to vehicle crashes ... almost all with volunteers at the wheel.

It is nice to see the children, many whom are NOT from the PG area, upholding a tradition that generated a dozen funerals and twice as many disabled firefighters "back in the day."

DC area firefighter line-of-duty deaths 1945 to 2000
    A survey of the Washington metropolitan area shows the following number of firefighters who died responding to, operating at or returning from an incident from 1945 to 2001:

25 - Prince Georgeís County
    14 - District of Columbia
    02 - Arlington County (VA)
    01 - Alexandria City (VA)
    01 - Montgomery County (MD)
    01 - Fairfax County (VA)

PS, the Foote St incident also generated controversy with comments posted on the Ritchie VFD website about the tactical placement of Quint 822, a unit from the all-career Tuxedo-Cheverly fire station.

Foote Street report: http://www.ritchie37.com/fullstory.php?50285 (August 25, 2007)

Reaction to webpost:
    INTERESTING PHONE CALL
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Around 1100 hrs, we received a phone call here at the station. The caller wanted to speak with the webmaster. The caller stated he was the Tech. at Station 22 and that he wanted the story for Foote Street taken down because the story was inaccurate. We are NOT sorry if we hurt anybodyís feelings...maybe your SOPís were inaccurate, not the story....better luck next time!
    Last edited by MikeWard; 06-16-2008 at 05:42 AM. Reason: add LODD study info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post

A survey of the Washington metropolitan area shows the following number of firefighters who died responding to, operating at or returning from an incident from 1945 to 2001:

01 - Fairfax County (VA)

FossilMedic

Honest answer:

From 1945 through 1976 DCFD saw much more action than any other jurisdiction.

From 1976 through 1996 DCFD and PGFD ran about the same number of structural fires on a per-capita basis. At that time PG was starting to see an increase in the number of properties that were considered run-down. PGFD passed a retroactive smoke detector ordinance in 1979. During this time there was a noticeable number of PG firefighter fatalities due to apparatus accidents.

Since 1996 PG started to have a few more structure fires than DC. In 1988 PG successfully required fire sprinklers to be installed in all new residential structures: http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/ima...eorgeStudy.pdf

By structure fires, the majority in PG are room-and-contents in single family dwellings and garden apartments that are handled by the water carried by the first pumper, using one attack line. Since 1996 there are a handful of more structure fires in PG than in DC.

The other counties and cities with forty year old commercial and multi-family structures "inside the Capital Beltway" are seeing a steady increase in the number of working structure fires in the past decade.

Almost every county and city in the DC area has experienced a structure fire event that has lead to significant firefighter injury in the past ten years, the worst is the Prince William County line-of-duty death last year. Alexandria had a catastrophic near miss in a highrise. Montgomery had a may-day in a wind-driven garden apartment fire.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 06-16-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Forum Member

Mike:

Thanks for the update and vitals on the Ritchie VFD. After reading the 44 year history of the dept., the infamous "videos" make more sense [at least to me] now. Their newer Seagrave apparatus looks VERY well kept, but I think a little more adult supervision would be an asset to curb the adrenaline...........
    MikeWard:= most of the Ritchie volunteers are still waiting to get that career firefighter job. They are significantly younger with less experience and training. Most of the active members are under 23 years old.

MembersZone Subscriber

Somewhere.....there is an attorney out there just drooling in anticipation. I just hope there is not a family of 5 in a mini van minding their own business that is going to get that ball rolling. Just a matter of time.

Supervision? Anyone? Anyone? I just hope no one gets hurt, but with the speeds demonstrated and 40,000 thousand pounds, (give or take a little), I doubt that will be the case.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by seagravedriver View Post
    Somewhere.....there is an attorney out there just drooling in anticipation. I just hope there is not a family of 5 in a mini van minding their own business that is going to get that ball rolling. Just a matter of time.

Supervision? Anyone? Anyone? I just hope no one gets hurt, but with the speeds demonstrated and 40,000 thousand pounds, (give or take a little), I doubt that will be the case.
    You are correct sir. Anyone who thinks this won't end in tears is just denying the reality of it all.

Last Christmas, here, 5 people from 2 families were cleaned off the face of the earth by a cement mixer that ran a stop light at highway speed and rear-ended their car. It's been up in the air ever since whether or not the guy was drunk, but the outcome doesn't care what state he was in ... and a crash involving a pumper would be comparable to that. God willing and my own self-restraint and training along with it, I'll never be in that situation myself.

Afterthought: Too bad the NJSP who are arrest-happy on FFs and the bad apples of PG County don't work closer together.
    Last edited by Jay911; 06-18-2008 at 08:30 PM.
    --jay.

MembersZone Subscriber

It may be hard to believe but we could learn a lot from cops, (I mean that with good humor and respect) and they could us. When I was young and had a lot of time on my hands, I was a reserve police officer, (littering andddddd, littering aaannnddddd ) worked for a busy private ALS ambulance and a volunteer firefighter. The PD I worked for had an officer broadside a car and kill a citizen. UGLY. After the fact, we were all sent to the WA State Patrol driving course. I know the officer kept his position, but I was just a reserve, not exactly inside to loop on information, so I do not know what else happened. Driving the huge amounts of miles in the ambulance gave me a lot of "seat time". Being a cop gave me a totally different way of looking at a scene. We really do need to work together to get the body count of brothers down, not to mention the citizens we protect, or in the videos case, the citizens they endanger.

The FD I work for now has the hardware up to mount cameras in the units (front facing). The union is a bit nervous about it. We will see what happens. But there is not one FF at work that would condone that type of driving, nor any officers that would put up with it.
    Last edited by seagravedriver; 06-19-2008 at 04:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

We've talked about it a bit, but cameras (like tracers in a fire fight) work both ways when it comes time to going to court. In the case of the video in question here, it's more like a claymore facing the wrong direction.

I'm all about getting there in a hurry when the situation demands it- don't get me wrong. I've put my toe down on a few calls- Even learned the hard way once about people doing exactly what you could never, EVER imagine someone doing... while responding going slightly down hill and on icy roads. Inches... less than inches- and we're out of the game filling out paperwork. This lady had our air horns for ear rings... Fortunately, we got by without incident and continued to the call. Who would have thought someone would move into your lane at a green light and stop? Well believe it.

Professional drivers are predictable... but the world is full of amateurs.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=

Professional drivers are predictable... but the world is full of amateurs.[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth, my Canadian Brother. I know a "guy " who cut is so close with a ambulance that he removed the snap in trim off a rear bumper. I heard it was a parked car. I heard the driver of the ambulance got out and just pushed the trim piece back in.

I think many of us have had our foot down a bit, sometimes conditions call for it. I really do not know if we are going to ever see the cameras. Admin says they are there to protect us, union says they are there to, well, use your imagination. Though the union and admin fin our dept. have an excellent relationship. I gotta admit, I don't really care to have them there, but man, some of the things I could have gotten on camera of other drivers on the road doing!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

The trim likely had no business being there in the first place!

I have my camera inbound- now whether or not it's used on responses pre or post trip... I guess that remains to be seen. Either or, I think the new adage is "Drive like the public is whatching you... because they are!"
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    HESD / OFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Another version is "Drive like BIG BROTHER is watching you, cause he is!!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Yeah, no doubt about it.

Our ambulances recently had GPS installed so when we drive over the speed limit, some (enter expletive noun here) from the security company (not even affiliated with us) gets an automatic email- and then that (enter expletive here again) phones our boss to ask him why the medic is speeding.

The last time, the boys were working a code heading into town when the call came in.

Big Brother was definitely watching- although the term is taken out of context a bit because George Orwell wasn't an (enter expletive here).

So here's a question- is explaining why the ambulance is speeding a breech of patient confedentiality?
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    HESD / OFD

Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Another version is "Drive like BIG BROTHER is watching you, cause he is!!"
    You can bet on it...and this is only the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned as there is much, much more to come...here in the land of the free and home of the brave.

Forum Member

Wait till next year when the new vehicle dynamics recorders are installed in all new apparatus.Big Brother wont only be watching you but he'll be right in the cab with you.

Forum Member

Default Do not forget that litt Korean subcompact

Quote Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
    How about nearly center-punching a transit bus???? (1:04, Foote St video)
    After seeing how close he came to hitting that little Korean car, makes me glad that these guys do not protect my area!
    Last edited by MMFireBuff; 06-27-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

every fire department in the county drives like this..

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Wow...just wow.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Driving

The video of the Foote Street job is incredible. Third due truck rushing to a scene driving like *******s, Apparatus gets to the scene, Fumbles with the hoseline handjacked back to his truck; and never charges the line.
    Must have been a big rush to do nothing.
    I dont want to be that crews life insurance salesman.
    Holy Moly

MembersZone Subscriber

I know it may be irritating thinking somebody is looking over your shoulder, but really if you aren't doing anything wrong while driving you won't have anything to worry about. As long as we keep having accidents because of poor driver training programs and things like that, its hard to say that the brass has no reason for wanting to look in on driving habits in rigs. I also dispatch for a local police department and we are in the middle of having GPS installed in all of the patrol units. Alot of officers are unhappy about it, as they feel like they aren't trusted and the brass just wants to keep tabs on them. But as we tell them, they will appreciate it when as they are in such a hurry to get out of their car to chase somebody and don't give good info or if somebody just walks up to them somewhere and shoots them, we will know where they are. "Big Brother" can be useful to prove you innocent in some situations too, so it does have its upside.
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Gotta agree with EVFD3100. In my 20 years of fire and EMS service it seems like the people that worry so much about cameras and tracking devices are the same ones that are driving without due regard for others, or who want to sneak off to areas they are not assigned to be in.
    I always figured that if a company (Department) pays me to come to work and follow the rules, that I should probably come to work and follow the rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    Ritchie VFD, like it's neighbor Kentland, have suppression rigs that are exclusively staffed with volunteers.

Unlike Kentland, most of the Ritchie volunteers are still waiting to get that career firefighter job. They are significantly younger with less experience and training. Most of the active members are under 23 years old.

Three decades ago, Prince George's County lead the DC area in the rate of line-of-duty deaths ... mostly due to vehicle crashes ... almost all with volunteers at the wheel.

It is nice to see the children, many whom are NOT from the PG area, upholding a tradition that generated a dozen funerals and twice as many disabled firefighters "back in the day."

01 - Fairfax County (VA)

PS, the Foote St incident also generated controversy with comments posted on the Ritchie VFD website about the tactical placement of Quint 822, a unit from the all-career Tuxedo-Cheverly fire station.

Foote Street report: http://www.ritchie37.com/fullstory.php?50285 (August 25, 2007)

Reaction to webpost:
    INTERESTING PHONE CALL
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Around 1100 hrs, we received a phone call here at the station. The caller wanted to speak with the webmaster. The caller stated he was the Tech. at Station 22 and that he wanted the story for Foote Street taken down because the story was inaccurate. We are NOT sorry if we hurt anybodyís feelings...maybe your SOPís were inaccurate, not the story....better luck next time!
    First let me say, there is NO excuse for the way that rig was driven.

Now with that said:

Q22 was not spotted properly. They did block the road needlessly, and their stick was useless due to their proximity to the overhead wires and telephone pole. They failed to support E384 but secured their own water source?

Just some observations.

Could someone who knows their ops better than I dochime in here, why did E93 come in so hot right to the driveway? Seems like there was plenty of trucks/equipment onscene. They could have better placed in the roadway behind Q22.

Thread Information