Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 85
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saugerties,ny
    Posts
    50

    Default How NOT to drive a firetruck.

    Amazing with all the stories online about accidents involving apparatus responding to calls that people still drive like this with no reguard to public safety.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QYGh...eature=related


  2. #2
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    If you think this one is bad, look in the right hand column on the same page for the video "E371 Foote St Job." Same department, different incident. The quality of the video is less, as is the driving. When it comes to the attitudes towards driving EV's, it's a county unlike the rest of the US....

    Some of the replies to said videos were penned by yours truly. These were posted several months ago, and have been rightfully criticized by most who watch them -- but a few still seem to think it's okay. What a shame...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saugerties,ny
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    If you think this one is bad, look in the right hand column on the same page for the video "E371 Foote St Job." Same department, different incident. The quality of the video is less, as is the driving. When it comes to the attitudes towards driving EV's, it's a county unlike the rest of the US....

    Some of the replies to said videos were penned by yours truly. These were posted several months ago, and have been rightfully criticized by most who watch them -- but a few still seem to think it's okay. What a shame...
    You're right the other video is worse then the first one. I don't know what was worse passing on the right of other vehicles,blowing through the red lights muscling other vehicles out of the way or the ridiculous speed they were traveling especially down the secondary streets. These guys need to realize you wont be much help if you don't make it to the scene. If anyone in my department ever drove like that it would be the last time they ever got behind the wheel.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    405

    Default

    I'm afraid to even link to the other after watching that video....

    That is scary, to think that anyone who believes in public safety and fire Protection drives like that is off their rocker. This I hope is a very isolated incident involving one poor driver.... I'm sure that the very next poster will tell me different however.

    I really hope there is a police officer or sheriff from that county having seen that. That's not community safety, on more than one occasion it seemed as if that engine was ready to roll, at the very least cause a devastating collision.

    I hope that many an operator take a hard look at their driving style after that.

  5. #5
    Forum Member FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Hold on.... I'm catching my breath.......Whew. Breath....

    I can't count how many times I cringed, when he went through red lights, speeding thru curves, and then going in the opposing lanes with a green light. I thought I was sure to see a rollover, or personal injury collision.

    That wouldn't fly here. He is one lucky SOB. And it will catch up to him/her sooner or later.

    FM1

  6. #6
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    I'm hoping Harve will chime in on this, since he'd be intimately familiar with the normal driving practices of this county...

    But, to answer the question about this being isolated to one driver or department, I sadly say, no, it's more rampant that you might imagine...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  7. #7
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,535

    Thumbs down

    First off I'm guessing prince george county MD?
    Second you mean to tell me that this MORON drove like that to go to a medical assist call when the ambulance is already on scene. This clown would not only never drive one of our apparatus , they would no longer be on the department. I lost track of how many violations [blown stop signs, & red lights , unsafe lane changes, passing stopped traffic by swerving back & forth across multiple lanes, unsafe speeds,] occurred during this 6 minute video . These clowns are stupid enough to post evidence like this on the internet. Would I love to be a shark representing someone injured by a big red truck in this county. Slam dunk multi million dollar settlement after showing the jury this six minutes of evidence. Around here I might even point the district attny in the direction of the video and ask them to investigate whether or not to file criminal charges against the driver and the officer that allows this type of bad behavior!

    Apparently the term drive with due regard to the safety of the public means nothing in MD.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 05-31-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Brain cramp :-]

  8. #8
    Forum Member dragonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Birdsboro, PA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    I just find it hard to believe that someone would post these videos thinking how cool they are. Don't they realize that the people they serve, including municipal supervisors, watch these and can form the same opinion we all have?
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    I just find it hard to believe that someone would post these videos thinking how cool they are. Don't they realize that the people they serve, including municipal supervisors, watch these and can form the same opinion we all have?
    Ditto... The Videos would serve as a witness point in removal as a driver forever!!
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    First off I'm guessing prince george county MD?
    Second you mean to tell me that this MORON drove like that to go to a medical assist call when the ambulance is already on scene. This clown would not only never drive one of our apparatus , they would no longer be on the department. I lost track of how many violations [blown stop signs, & red lights , unsafe lane changes, passing stopped traffic by swerving back & forth across multiple lanes, unsafe speeds,] occurred during this 6 minute video . These clowns are stupid enough to post evidence like this on the internet. Would I love to be a shark representing someone injured by a big red truck in this county. Slam dunk multi million dollar settlement after showing the jury this six minutes of evidence. Around here I might even point the district attny in the direction of the video and ask them to investigate whether or not to file criminal charges against the driver and the officer that allows this type of bad behavior!

    Apparently the term drive with due regard to the safety of the public means nothing in MD.

    Very well Put!

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saugerties,ny
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    First off I'm guessing prince george county MD?
    Second you mean to tell me that this MORON drove like that to go to a medical assist call when the ambulance is already on scene. This clown would not only never drive one of our apparatus , they would no longer be on the department. I lost track of how many violations [blown stop signs, & red lights , unsafe lane changes, passing stopped traffic by swerving back & forth across multiple lanes, unsafe speeds,] occurred during this 6 minute video . These clowns are stupid enough to post evidence like this on the internet. Would I love to be a shark representing someone injured by a big red truck in this county. Slam dunk multi million dollar settlement after showing the jury this six minutes of evidence. Around here I might even point the district attny in the direction of the video and ask them to investigate whether or not to file criminal charges against the driver and the officer that allows this type of bad behavior!

    Apparently the term drive with due regard to the safety of the public means nothing in MD.
    It's Ritchie VFD in Prince George County,MD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQ3MltwvTw

    http://www.ritchie37.com/index.php
    They even have a ride along form available in the download section,I don't think I'd ever feel that adventurous. Hopefully those videos are from just 1 or 2 drivers,if not then they have a serious lack of driver training,and command issues to say the least.
    Last edited by wconlon53; 06-01-2008 at 05:32 AM.

  12. #12
    Forum Member volfirie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Drivers. Did they get a licence out of a packet of cornflakes? I wouldn't ride with a driver like either of those two - not more than once anyway (and one effort like that would have you in the back seat for a very long time).

    PPE - fantastic. Red shorts and a white muscle top. Get off of the fireground.

    Over four minutes and STILL no water flowing through those feed lines. And the first line was run before they got there.

    I'm sure those guys do some things right - can we see a video of one of those times?

    PS. No, we're not perfect. But bloody hell!
    Last edited by volfirie; 06-02-2008 at 03:36 AM.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

    Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

  13. #13
    Forum Member dragonfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Birdsboro, PA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wconlon53 View Post
    It's Ritchie VFD in Prince George County,MD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQ3MltwvTw
    I can't believe they use part of the other video in this one also. Not even 1 minute into it they're showing the shift to the far right lane and cross over all 4 lanes to make a left portion.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    202

    Default

    I'm scared!

    Holy Sh$%, I counted 4 stops signs and 2 red lights that they never even yield for nevermind stop. The last turn, I hope that was a parked vehicle or the people in it need ne underwear! How many different lanes die he use?

    I have suspended operators for less!

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    I can't believe they use part of the other video in this one also. Not even 1 minute into it they're showing the shift to the far right lane and cross over all 4 lanes to make a left portion.
    This one was only 3 red traffic lights and 1 block of driving into oncoming traffic. The command vehicle that pulled was moving quite fast as well. Maybe this why it is allowed!

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492

    Default

    I can't decide what is more terrifying...the driving in the videos or the comments posted below them.

    "Impressive and inspiring for any driver-engineer looking for an lesson in doing it right!
    An absolute EXCELLENT video!"

    "Excelent driving. Know how to use the whole road. "

    Greattt...

  17. #17
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volfirie View Post
    Drivers.

    PPE - fantastic. Red shorts and a white muscle top. Get off of the fireground.

    Over four minutes and STILL no water flowing through those feed lines. And the first line was run before they got there.

    I'm sure those guys do some things right -
    But he did have his genuine FDNY wannabe radio strap and holder over his shoulder!
    The thing that scares me is that this type of behavior does not happen without the approval of the officers and the chief of the department.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saugerties,ny
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    I can't decide what is more terrifying...the driving in the videos or the comments posted below them.

    "Impressive and inspiring for any driver-engineer looking for an lesson in doing it right!
    An absolute EXCELLENT video!"

    "Excelent driving. Know how to use the whole road. "

    Greattt...
    Surely you can not be serious.

  19. #19
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wconlon53 View Post
    Surely you can not be serious.
    He is ... just scroll down and read some of the comments under each of the videos ... it really does make you shake your head in disbelief.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  20. #20
    Forum Member 1OLDTIMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USAF 389th SAC
    Posts
    255

    Cool Contest:

    Here are a few photos of the Ritchie "crew." Can you guess which one of [these clowns] was the D/O on the infamous video?

    http://www.ritchie37.com/gallery.php...218&isalbum=1#

    If you choose the correct one...you can be eligible for a A FREE CAB RIDE-ALONG...with the same D/O...

    Minimum Requirements:
    1. be at least 18 years old, and provide proof of legal citizenship of the U.S.A.
    2. provide your own NHRA [approved] crash n' burn, full body protection
    3. provide a NHRA [approved] crash helmet [NOT a fire helmet]
    4. have at least a basic [approved] First-Aid Course cert.
    5. sign the "Ride-Along" agreement...notorized by a Fed. judge
    6. anything [of your choice] that wILL provide minimal protection from flying debris; window glass, traffic signal [crashing down], etc.
    7. someone available to pry-open your hands [after the exciting, fun-filled ride].

    The contest will end with the first person to providing the correct answer...GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by 1OLDTIMER; 06-02-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    "we will bankrupt ourselves in the vain attempt at absolute security"
    Pres. / General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. firetruck bar?
    By bigdeal in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
  2. Two wheels fly off firetruck!
    By SIGNAL99COM in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:24 PM
  3. When does a firetruck...not look like a firetruck?
    By NJFFSA16 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 01:48 AM
  4. Fill the Boot, Car Wash, Fund Drive, Clothing Drive, etc.
    By hctrouble25 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2001, 06:24 PM
  5. looking for pics of my firetruck
    By maxim1947 in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2001, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts