Forum Member

Default Needing information

Dose anyone have or know of a case history were a vehicle fire was actually started by an airbag deployment?
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

NEVER HEARD OF.

But maybe you could contact www.autodesignextrication.com they could have something for you. But from what I know there is no reason for a fire starting from airbag deploiment. Unless the deploiment cause something else to start the fire but not the deploiment itself. Any way is only my opinion. I would actually like to know if it has happend. Maybe rmoore could also help us out with this. Are you around?

KEEP SAFE

But if you visit this website you can see an airbag deploiment during a car in fire.

http://www.sceneoftheaccident.org/Vi...x?videoIndex=7
    Last edited by BUITRE; 06-11-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: HAVEN'T SEEN FIRE STARTED BY AIRBAGS BUT.....

Forum Member

Lee: my answer is Yes and No ... Several years ago on an icey snowy morning (that happens up north here) we rana head on involving a new at the time Ford Expedition. Probably a 2000 or an 01, the one that had the moveable gas and brake pedals for shorter drivers. The driver was a 5 foot tall lady who was (trying to be PC here) extremely busty. So even with the pedals extended out the whole way to match up to her short legs she still had other body parts very close to the steering wheel. The bag simply did not have enough room to fully deploy. When we arrived on scene a bystander was telling me how he "put out the fire" I asked what fire and he told me the airbag. Sure enough the bag had a burn hole in it. With out full deployment the hot igniter was in direct contact with bag material and did cause melting and supported a small flame. Not major, but it was burning at one time. Probably a one in a million shot (but so was she) but it was burning. I still have the bag in my garage.

Zmag

Forum Member

Zmag

Excelent! I mean there is at least one of us until now with that expirence. Hope others come out with something else.

Could send me some pictures maybe and the story with it. Great for training. At least down here have never had a situation like this.

KEEP SAFE!

julloa@amcross.org

Forum Member

Thanks Mike,
    I have had so many ask about this, I am trying to gather any record of it actually happening.

Though this may have been possible with the pyrotechnic inflators, this is not going to happen with the later Compressed gas inflators they deploy much cooler.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

I'm confused ... did you want pictures of the air bag or the victim?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Any if available. AirBag or victim or car. Sometimes it is good to have some extra material. And it is true about the pyrotechnic Lee still we don't know when we will be dealing with any old model with that kind.

KEEP SAFE!

Thread Information