Forum Member

Great News!!

I have received an email that a very awesome company is going to donate Nomex hoods to our Explorers!

I guess the few hours that I spent sending out emails to all the companies paid off!

Now, I just need to work on their gloves...got a few calls on some really great deals on gloves
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    Great News!!

I have received an email that a very awesome company is going to donate Nomex hoods to our Explorers!

I guess the few hours that I spent sending out emails to all the companies paid off!

Now, I just need to work on their gloves...got a few calls on some really great deals on gloves
    That's great!!

Delta107

MembersZone Subscriber

Firechick, I work for Madison Twp. jus north of you. I know you guys on occasion work with Morenci (84) fire; they've been running an Explorer program for quite some time. If you guys have any questions, I'm certain someone there could certainly help you out, there program is pretty successful, and they (from what I've witnessed) have a dedicated group of kids. Good luck to you and yours!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire78n88 View Post
    Firechick, I work for Madison Twp. jus north of you. I know you guys on occasion work with Morenci (84) fire; they've been running an Explorer program for quite some time. If you guys have any questions, I'm certain someone there could certainly help you out, there program is pretty successful, and they (from what I've witnessed) have a dedicated group of kids. Good luck to you and yours!
    Hey 88!! My husband is on 84 too They were having issues with keeping an advisor so thats what gave us the idea to start this post in Fayette. You might know my husband, Steve Meller. He sets up alot of the trainings for 84 with Brad Lonis. I love the group of explorers up in Morenci now...they are a riot! And sweet kids too! We worked with a few of the 84 explorers up at MIS a few weeks ago, it was fun.
    We now have 13 kids in Fayette so we are keeping super busy!
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Forum Member

My post gets our hoods from the academys. So if there are any academys near you, go check it out after its over. Or see if you can order some through the county or city your in.
    As far as burning goes, at my academy we had a live vehicle fire every night for 6 nghts and we went in a burning tower and faught fire. It was controlled but it was still live fire. All of that is approved by the Chief so i dont know where people get off by saying that its against the law.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpmaro View Post
    My post gets our hoods from the academys. So if there are any academys near you, go check it out after its over. Or see if you can order some through the county or city your in.
    As far as burning goes, at my academy we had a live vehicle fire every night for 6 nghts and we went in a burning tower and faught fire. It was controlled but it was still live fire. All of that is approved by the Chief so i dont know where people get off by saying that its against the law.
    Thanks for the advice!
    We as advisors are finding that its not just the laws (or rules) that restrict what our Explorers can do its the FD governing body that has huge problems with the kids being near the fire, etc. So we just simply have made it known that the Explorers will not do anything that they arent trained to do. Bottom line is the safety of the Explorers and everyone around them. This (the Explorer Post)is such a new concept in this town that people are leary. They will approve once they are educated and familiar with the program too.
    Have a great day!
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpmaro View Post
    You may want to look at this more carefully. The state of Ohio changed some rules a couple of years ago. Even the guys in a 36 hour class are not allowed to live burn until they get their cards. You are not even allowed to wear an SCBA as a firefighter in Ohio until you get trained. Be very careful what you think you can do as an explorer. There are also child labor laws that prohibit what activites you can take part in. Live fire is a big NO NO!
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    You may want to look at this more carefully. The state of Ohio changed some rules a couple of years ago. Even the guys in a 36 hour class are not allowed to live burn until they get their cards. You are not even allowed to wear an SCBA as a firefighter in Ohio until you get trained. Be very careful what you think you can do as an explorer. There are also child labor laws that prohibit what activites you can take part in. Live fire is a big NO NO!
    Right! Our Explorers will not be training "in" live burns at all. Our kids are learning the basic duties on the fireground like getting tools for the ffs, setting up hoselines, they have already trained on hooking up a hydrant, we just took them through the basics of the SCBA so that they will be able to help the ffs change out tanks and to help troubleshoot if there is a issue. They will be allowed on fire scenes but they have very strict guidelines to follow and we as advisors intend to make sure they abide by the rules and that our ffs dont break the rules either, even our chief!
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with live fire training, as long as it is controlled. It is approved at all our academies, which the CHIEF knows about. Im not in Ohio so I dont know your rules. Thats how it is where im an explorer

Forum Member

We issue hoods to our explorers as part of their normal gear. It is understood that they will not be needing it in a burning building since they won't be going in one to begin with. However for training purposes and keeping warm in the winter, they all get them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Last edited by WFDFire2156; 07-06-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    We issue hoods to our explorers as part of their normal gear. It is understood that they will not be needing it in a burning building since they won't be going in one to begin with. However for training purposes and keeping warm in the winter, they all get them.
    We issued the hoods with the understanding that they werent going to need them right away but if they decide to become full firefighters after they turn 18 we want them to have full gear and be ready to go! Besides they are so excited when they get something new...why not let them feel important? They really are a very important part of our fire family here in Fayette
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    Why do explorers need hoods?
    ........wow....
    Last edited by MustanGT1964; 07-26-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MustanGT1964 View Post
    Hoods play a crucial part in protecting a firefighter. Not only is it fire retardant, but it completes the seal of the mask so no toxic fumes are breathed in. Cadets are often exposed to smoke.
    Please elaborate! How do you figure it "completes the seal of the mask"? A hood has NOTHING to do with the seal of a mask. It is simply worn for no other reason than to provide thermal protection to the skin.

If you're wearing it to in some way keep smoke out of your lungs, you've got a really serious problem.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    It is simply worn for no other reason than to provide thermal protection to the skin.
    Wear it backwards and it also makes some great pretend smoke.

Forum Member

Please elaborate! How do you figure it "completes the seal of the mask"? A hood has NOTHING to do with the seal of a mask. It is simply worn for no other reason than to provide thermal protection to the skin.

If you're wearing it to in some way keep smoke out of your lungs, you've got a really serious problem.
    Dont play with my words. If you have an attention span you would realize that the hood goes along the outer rim of the mask.. *gasp* if there is a leak.. you can breathe smoke.. if there is a hood covering the outer rim of the mask.. its an extra seal.

Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Forum Member

Dont play with my words. If you have an attention span you would realize that the hood goes along the outer rim of the mask.. *gasp* if there is a leak.. you can breathe smoke.. if there is a hood covering the outer rim of the mask.. its an extra seal.

Another seal?! You have to be kidding! What do you wear, a rubber hood and a demand SCBA?

Please tell me you're not serious!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Worldwide Menace

He was not playing with your words. What you had written was poorly written. get a properly sized mask and you're not going to have leaks. you can also get inserts for your mask to help seal out any possible leaks (You would know if you need this by doing proper fit testing), but it should never be stated that your hood is going to help you seal out any leak.

-Damien

Worldwide Menace

Please tell me you're not serious!
    Maybe he wears his hood under all his straps on his mask, so it can sit right on the edge of the mask..

-Damien

makes good girls go bad

Right. Argue with the Lt. who has more years on the job then you have out of diapers.
    You obviously know nothing. Hood allows much smoke through. Dont believe me?
    Look at this picture. It was from the Mothers Day Fire in Malabar, Fla. The hood on my face provided next to no protection from smoke.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Maybe he wears his hood under all his straps on his mask, so it can sit right on the edge of the mask..

-Damien
    LOL Let's hope not.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Worldwide Menace

LOL Let's hope not.
    He could justify it saying the straps hold the hood in place to allow it to do it's job as a secondary seal on his mask... lol

-Damien

Forum Member

My guess is that he's wearing one of these hoods: http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-28/0...etch-Hood.html

Do you think we should tell him, or should we just let him figure it out for himself?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Worldwide Menace

My guess is that he's wearing one of these hoods: http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-28/0...etch-Hood.html

Do you think we should tell him, or should we just let him figure it out for himself?
    Maybe he has this one.. looks like it may seal out smoke better..

maybe i should buy one... oh shoot.. i'm outta money..

-Damien

Forum Member

Uhhuh.. maybe you should read the post at the top of the forums "all kids and adults alike"

Im reporting abuse..

Ridiculous, this is a thread to help someone and you two turn it into a flame fest. Grow up and get over yourselves.
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Thread Information