Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 82
  1. #41
    Forum Member Delta107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    First off... It's a joke. Do some digging on the Forums and you'll get the idea.
    Second off... You've been around long enough to get the picture - maybe not so much in this particular post, but check your grammar and spelling. Please.


    Good luck Jami!



    I could not agree more.
    Now I get the two hood thing. Thanks RFxplr326.


  2. #42
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    go to the dollar general and buy a 2x pair of men's underwear. Cut them in 1/2 and with a little bit of sowing you got what you need.

    Or buy the biggest socks and stretch them out. Hence the name.... sock hood.
    Ummmm, I might be a little out of line here...are you serious? Please tell me you're not serious. There is no way we are outfitting our only Explorers in this entire county with underwear on their heads. Its almost an insult to even suggest it.
    Ok, I am done. I have spoken my piece.
    Thank you for the input.
    Jami Sue
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  3. #43
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    Why would you need 2 hoods? Maybe because it's cold in Ohio.

    Firechick337 are the kids really interested in the program or is it just a place to have fun and make new friends? If they are interested try maybe setting up a Car wash at Wal-mart (Only because they will usually match what you earn) that way you can pay for hoods, shirts, class B or whatnot.

    Delta107
    They are dead serious about this, if they werent they wouldnt be on this Post. They literally have only had 3 meetings, they are brand new. We already have a few fund-raisers lined up for them. We have no Walmart here in Fayette but a car wash is a great idea.
    Thanks for the input!!
    Jami
    PS. Yes it gets cold in Ohio...but I am pretty sure its a good idea anyways to get 2 hoods, a back up is a godsend most days! I have 3 hoods myself!
    Last edited by firechick337; 06-02-2008 at 07:19 PM.
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  4. #44
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    I have no Idea if there are new or not. I'm assuming no because it's on eBay. I agree with some things to buy on eBay and others not too. I only posted the link cause I was messing around on eBay and saw those so I posted the link over here for Firechick337 because I recommended looking at eBay.

    Delta107
    PS thank you for snooping for me on Ebay...I did a little snooping today too
    Jami
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  5. #45
    Forum Member Delta107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    They are dead serious about this, if they werent they wouldnt be on this Post. They literally have only had 3 meetings, they are brand new. We already have a few fund-raisers lined up for them. We have no Walmart here in Fayette but a car wash is a great idea.
    Thanks for the input!!
    Jami
    That's great that you have fund-raisers lined up. You know I haven't heard of a town that doesn't have a Walmart. I wished I lived there!!!!

    Delta107

  6. #46
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    That's great that you have fund-raisers lined up. You know I haven't heard of a town that doesn't have a Walmart. I wished I lived there!!!!

    Delta107
    Fayette: population just over 2,000, 1 grocery store, 2 bars, 1 stoplight, 2 gas stations...oh yeah and 2 pizza joints! Oh cant forget the beauty shops...there are 3! Got to get the gossip somewhere! Thats Fayette! The closest Wallyworld is 20 minutes to the east or 35 minutes to the west. Still want to live here? LOL
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  7. #47
    Forum Member Delta107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    Fayette: population just over 2,000, 1 grocery store, 2 bars, 1 stoplight, 2 gas stations...oh yeah and 2 pizza joints! Oh cant forget the beauty shops...there are 3! Got to get the gossip somewhere! Thats Fayette! The closest Wallyworld is 20 minutes to the east or 35 minutes to the west. Still want to live here? LOL
    Ha not like anyone wants to see me during the day. If I showed up I'd only scare 2,000 people, compared to 250,000 - 300,000. I think the closest amusement parks to me is about 45 -50 Minutes away. I'm not 100% sure because I can't afford to go anyways.

    Delta107

  8. #48
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    Ha not like anyone wants to see me during the day. If I showed up I'd only scare 2,000 people, compared to 250,000 - 300,000. I think the closest amusement parks to me is about 45 -50 Minutes away. I'm not 100% sure because I can't afford to go anyways.

    Delta107
    Pssssst...Wallyworld is Walmart
    Cedar Point is the closest amusement park to us
    Jami
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  9. #49
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PG County, MD
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    Why would you need 2 hoods? Maybe because it's cold in Ohio.

    Firechick337 are the kids really interested in the program or is it just a place to have fun and make new friends? If they are interested try maybe setting up a Car wash at Wal-mart (Only because they will usually match what you earn) that way you can pay for hoods, shirts, class B or whatnot.

    Delta107
    you don't.....There was a long discussion on here a long time ago about wearing 2 nomex hoods...I guess it's an 'inside joke'.

  10. #50
    Forum Member Delta107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    Pssssst...Wallyworld is Walmart
    Cedar Point is the closest amusement park to us
    Jami
    Somebody please kick me in the @ss, I deserve it. I believe I need 2 kicks. 1 for grammer and 1 for the wallyworld thing. Wait one second....... O.K. my brain is back in. I'm such an idiot.

    Delta107

  11. #51
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Great News!!

    I have received an email that a very awesome company is going to donate Nomex hoods to our Explorers!

    I guess the few hours that I spent sending out emails to all the companies paid off!

    Now, I just need to work on their gloves...got a few calls on some really great deals on gloves
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  12. #52
    Forum Member Delta107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    Great News!!

    I have received an email that a very awesome company is going to donate Nomex hoods to our Explorers!

    I guess the few hours that I spent sending out emails to all the companies paid off!

    Now, I just need to work on their gloves...got a few calls on some really great deals on gloves
    That's great!!

    Delta107

  13. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Firechick, I work for Madison Twp. jus north of you. I know you guys on occasion work with Morenci (84) fire; they've been running an Explorer program for quite some time. If you guys have any questions, I'm certain someone there could certainly help you out, there program is pretty successful, and they (from what I've witnessed) have a dedicated group of kids. Good luck to you and yours!

  14. #54
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire78n88 View Post
    Firechick, I work for Madison Twp. jus north of you. I know you guys on occasion work with Morenci (84) fire; they've been running an Explorer program for quite some time. If you guys have any questions, I'm certain someone there could certainly help you out, there program is pretty successful, and they (from what I've witnessed) have a dedicated group of kids. Good luck to you and yours!
    Hey 88!! My husband is on 84 too They were having issues with keeping an advisor so thats what gave us the idea to start this post in Fayette. You might know my husband, Steve Meller. He sets up alot of the trainings for 84 with Brad Lonis. I love the group of explorers up in Morenci now...they are a riot! And sweet kids too! We worked with a few of the 84 explorers up at MIS a few weeks ago, it was fun.
    We now have 13 kids in Fayette so we are keeping super busy!
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  15. #55
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default

    My post gets our hoods from the academys. So if there are any academys near you, go check it out after its over. Or see if you can order some through the county or city your in.
    As far as burning goes, at my academy we had a live vehicle fire every night for 6 nghts and we went in a burning tower and faught fire. It was controlled but it was still live fire. All of that is approved by the Chief so i dont know where people get off by saying that its against the law.

  16. #56
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpmaro View Post
    My post gets our hoods from the academys. So if there are any academys near you, go check it out after its over. Or see if you can order some through the county or city your in.
    As far as burning goes, at my academy we had a live vehicle fire every night for 6 nghts and we went in a burning tower and faught fire. It was controlled but it was still live fire. All of that is approved by the Chief so i dont know where people get off by saying that its against the law.
    Thanks for the advice!
    We as advisors are finding that its not just the laws (or rules) that restrict what our Explorers can do its the FD governing body that has huge problems with the kids being near the fire, etc. So we just simply have made it known that the Explorers will not do anything that they arent trained to do. Bottom line is the safety of the Explorers and everyone around them. This (the Explorer Post)is such a new concept in this town that people are leary. They will approve once they are educated and familiar with the program too.
    Have a great day!
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  17. #57
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N. Ridgeville, Ohio
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpmaro View Post
    My post gets our hoods from the academys. So if there are any academys near you, go check it out after its over. Or see if you can order some through the county or city your in.
    As far as burning goes, at my academy we had a live vehicle fire every night for 6 nghts and we went in a burning tower and faught fire. It was controlled but it was still live fire. All of that is approved by the Chief so i dont know where people get off by saying that its against the law.
    You may want to look at this more carefully. The state of Ohio changed some rules a couple of years ago. Even the guys in a 36 hour class are not allowed to live burn until they get their cards. You are not even allowed to wear an SCBA as a firefighter in Ohio until you get trained. Be very careful what you think you can do as an explorer. There are also child labor laws that prohibit what activites you can take part in. Live fire is a big NO NO!
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

  18. #58
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Fayette,Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    You may want to look at this more carefully. The state of Ohio changed some rules a couple of years ago. Even the guys in a 36 hour class are not allowed to live burn until they get their cards. You are not even allowed to wear an SCBA as a firefighter in Ohio until you get trained. Be very careful what you think you can do as an explorer. There are also child labor laws that prohibit what activites you can take part in. Live fire is a big NO NO!
    Right! Our Explorers will not be training "in" live burns at all. Our kids are learning the basic duties on the fireground like getting tools for the ffs, setting up hoselines, they have already trained on hooking up a hydrant, we just took them through the basics of the SCBA so that they will be able to help the ffs change out tanks and to help troubleshoot if there is a issue. They will be allowed on fire scenes but they have very strict guidelines to follow and we as advisors intend to make sure they abide by the rules and that our ffs dont break the rules either, even our chief!
    Jami Sue

    facebook.com/firechick337

    Live each day as if it were your last!

    Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

    GFFD forever!!

    Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

  19. #59
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    You may want to look at this more carefully. The state of Ohio changed some rules a couple of years ago. Even the guys in a 36 hour class are not allowed to live burn until they get their cards. You are not even allowed to wear an SCBA as a firefighter in Ohio until you get trained. Be very careful what you think you can do as an explorer. There are also child labor laws that prohibit what activites you can take part in. Live fire is a big NO NO!
    Theres nothing wrong with live fire training, as long as it is controlled. It is approved at all our academies, which the CHIEF knows about. Im not in Ohio so I dont know your rules. Thats how it is where im an explorer

  20. #60
    Forum Member nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    We issue hoods to our explorers as part of their normal gear. It is understood that they will not be needing it in a burning building since they won't be going in one to begin with. However for training purposes and keeping warm in the winter, they all get them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nomex Hoods
    By rsalazar in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 02:31 PM
  2. Nomex Hoods
    By rsalazar in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
  3. Nomex Hoods
    By mikemcdonald in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-29-2002, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts