Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Nomex hoods needed! Any ideas?

As some of you know we have just formed an Explorer post here in NW Ohio. We thought maybe we would have 5 kids interested, we are now up to 13 kids! Our turnout gear is not a problem but we have a need to find some nomex hoods for the Explorers. They are too new to have a bank account as of yet so I need some ideas how to get the hoods donated??? Help me out any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
    Jami
    Jami Sue

facebook.com/firechick337

Live each day as if it were your last!

Ember Lou loves all of her firefighter families!

GFFD forever!!

Gorham-Fayette Fire Explorers Rock!!

Why do explorers need hoods?
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    As some of you know we have just formed an Explorer post here in NW Ohio. We thought maybe we would have 5 kids interested, we are now up to 13 kids! Our turnout gear is not a problem but we have a need to find some nomex hoods for the Explorers. They are too new to have a bank account as of yet so I need some ideas how to get the hoods donated??? Help me out any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
    Jami
    Gloves, a helmet, and boots are all they really need. Having turnout gear is just an added bonus. Honestly, hoods are not needed.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

I feel that they should have hoods.....now a days many post's that I have seen are now doing live fire burns, and auto extercations. Plus if you give them a hood and they learn to wear it everytime they put on there gear then when they get on the job they will fell comfortable and used to wearing one.....just a thought. Also you can get a cheap hood for around 20 bucks that would do the job. If I knew that explorers were doing live fire I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing they were wearing proper PPE including a hood.

Quote Originally Posted by WFDFire2156 View Post
    I feel that they should have hoods.....now a days many post's that I have seen are now doing live fire burns, and auto extercations. Plus if you give them a hood and they learn to wear it everytime they put on there gear then when they get on the job they will fell comfortable and used to wearing one.....just a thought. Also you can get a cheap hood for around 20 bucks that would do the job. If I knew that explorers were doing live fire I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing they were wearing proper PPE including a hood.
    You missed the entire point.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

I feel that they should have hoods.....now a days many post's that I have seen are now doing live fire burns, and auto extercations.
    Then they are breaking laws.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

NO WAY IN HELL should explorers be doing live burns!

Your program needs some serious re-evaluation! And soon!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Angry here we go again......

...you just opened one hell of a can of worms...now this thread will never die.

Actually guys Explorers can do live burns at an approved fire training facility. Here is a link to LFL http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...ire/index.html
    You can find it under "Safety Issues" at the vary bottom of the page marked ""Exceptions".

But I believe there are requirements: like certified training personal, temperatures must not exceed more that 500 degrees, explorers must under go fit testing for there SCBA masks, have NFPA certified gear that includes boots, pants, coat, gloves, hood, helmet, and SCBA. I could be wrong on this so take it with a grain of salt.

My explorer post is getting ready to do life burns.

As for the hoods have you tried asking other fire departments for there left over hoods. You could call up some manufactures and ask if they would donate some hoods. I believe on TheFireStore.com they have a white economy hood for $16.00. I hope that helps.

Delta107

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    I would have bet money that would be the first response.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well guys before u chew me apart......... maybe in the area that you live in posts do not do live burns. The area that I live in it is not uncommon to see posts doing live burns in houses or burn towers, and when they do the live burns they should have full PPE including a HOOD.

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

And for the record BLS boy.........It is not "breaking the law" were I live...... Every year there is a explorer conference of the University of Illinois for three days. Explorers do live fire, auto extercation, and technical rescue. Also many depts have houses donated to them and explorers do live burn downs.

Forum Member

Well guys before u chew me apart......... maybe in the area that you live in posts do not do live burns. The area that I live in it is not uncommon to see posts doing live burns in houses or burn towers, and when they do the live burns they should have full PPE including a HOOD.
    its not a matter of being illegal WFD, its the matter of should the really be doing it. too bad the webteam took down the "leaving school to respond to the box" thread, that had it all in it.

And if they are true Explorers, you risk loosing your charter.

from http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...ire/index.html

Look, I ain't tryin to start a ****ing contest. I belive we should be giving these kids every education chance we can. Heck, alot of those rules were broken by my advisiors, and me, but in a controlled manner (FF climbing stick right behind me) breaking glass after fire out to help with ventilation, with fireman right behind me. But in retrospect, if I were to get hurt, we ALL would have been screwed.
    Just follow the rules, and make sure the kids are supervised.

Fire and Emergency Services Exploring: Safety Issues

There are some issues and hazards specific to Fire and Emergency Services Explorer programs that must be considered when organizing a post. These issues are fairly unique compared with other types of Explorer posts, being a direct result of the post's affiliation with the department and the potential for hazards.

Before engaging in any training activity or direct operational activities with the department, Exploring and/or department officials should investigate the legalities of Explorers participating in such activities. Most states have child labor laws that define what minors under the age of 18 may and may not participate in. Even though the individual may not be an actual member or employee of the department, these regulations may still apply. The following is a general list of guidelines that should be used for the formation of a post Explorer safety policy. As with any program, extremes of temperature, humidity, and other atmospheric conditions should be considered during any activity.

One issue that requires particular attention is what the Fire and Emergency Services Explorer will be allowed to do at the emergency scene. Many departments allow Explorers to respond on the apparatus with trained personnel. A solid policy must be established as to what the Explorer may and may not do once he or she arrives on the scene.

All policies must fit with departmental regulations, Learning for Life regulations, and state laws. All of these issues should be resolved in the post bylaws before Fire and Emergency Services Explorer activities begin. If you have any questions about the safety of an activity not listed, contact your local Learning for Life office.

* Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel.
    * Explorers must be equipped with personal protective equipment that is appropriate for the activity being done.
    * Explorers may be mobilized only as a post, with required leadership. Explorers are not on call as individuals.
    * Explorers who ride on apparatus or other department vehicles must be seated and must wear a seat belt.
    * Explorers may not drive department vehicles.
    * Explorers may not climb aerial ladders.
    * Explorers may not climb ground ladders that exceed 35 feet in length, or not supported against a structure.
    * Explorers may not enter or perform ventilation procedures on a burning structure.
    * Explorers may not use any tools or gloves on energized electrical equipment.
    * Explorers may not operate cutting torches
    * Explorers may not operate hydraulic rescue tools or equipment.
    * Explorers may not handle life nets.
    * Exceptions: Using an official training facility, the use of aerial ladders with the appropriate safety equipment, and entering a controlled burn building is approved.

May 22, 2003
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delta107 View Post
    Actually guys Explorers can do live burns at an approved fire training facility. Here is a link to LFL http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...ire/index.html
    You can find it under "Safety Issues" at the vary bottom of the page marked ""Exceptions".

But I believe there are requirements: like certified training personal, temperatures must not exceed more that 500 degrees, explorers must under go fit testing for there SCBA masks, have NFPA certified gear that includes boots, pants, coat, gloves, hood, helmet, and SCBA. I could be wrong on this so take it with a grain of salt.

My explorer post is getting ready to do life burns.

As for the hoods have you tried asking other fire departments for there left over hoods. You could call up some manufactures and ask if they would donate some hoods. I believe on TheFireStore.com they have a white economy hood for $16.00. I hope that helps.

Delta107
    Thanks for the input. I will try contacting my neighboring depts and see what they might have hanging around their stations. And I bet I could check with Galls too. Our station orders alot from them...maybe we can sweet talk them into a nice discount
    Thanks again!
    Jami
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Forum Member

Our Explorers will be on live burns with severe restrictions. So, they will need hoods as they already have everything else already.

Thanks!
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by firechick337 View Post
    And I bet I could check with Galls too. Our station orders alot from them...maybe we can sweet talk them into a nice discount
    THERE is your problem. Galls is a massively overpriced money grubbing company. I REFUSE to order from them unless the item I want is on sale.

www.thefirestore.com
    http://firesafetyusa.com/cart/shop/features.asp

SHOP AROUND!!
    Galls is a rip off. STOP ordering from them.
    Here are two quick examples.
    I ordered a Littman Classic II stethoscope from them. 150 bucks. It retails for about 75.
    When I was looking for lights for my truck, the Whelen Talon was 275.
    I bought mine brand new, and NOT a fake one for 218.
    The TIR3 Dominator was going for over 350.
    I bought it for just over 200.
    If you value your budget, go elsewhere!!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    Good question. As members of our Explorer post the kids will be required to wear full turnout gear. This will include hoods. We as advisors made this choice. We are aware that the Explorers have very strict restrictions, but the whole idea behind this program is to get the Explorers trained to become our future firemen/women and EMTs. We want them to know how to wear their gear properly and how to suit up with SCBAs etc. We want them to aware of how fire operations work on scene, so they will be on scene with the fire members (in a few months after some training). Our dept requires full turn out gear so the Explorers will do the same.
    So, back to my original question...did u have any suggestions for us?

Thanks!
    Jami
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    THERE is your problem. Galls is a massively overpriced money grubbing company. I REFUSE to order from them unless the item I want is on sale.

www.thefirestore.com
    http://firesafetyusa.com/cart/shop/features.asp

SHOP AROUND!!
    Galls is a rip off. STOP ordering from them.
    Here are two quick examples.
    I ordered a Littman Classic II stethoscope from them. 150 bucks. It retails for about 75.
    When I was looking for lights for my truck, the Whelen Talon was 275.
    I bought mine brand new, and NOT a fake one for 218.
    The TIR3 Dominator was going for over 350.
    I bought it for just over 200.
    If you value your budget, go elsewhere!!

Gotcha! As a mom I always shop around so your weblinks will be extremely helpful I personally only shop Galls for myself for the sales...just like you.
    Thanks again!
    Jami Sue

GFFD forever!!

Thread Information