Forum Member

Default Florida Firefighters

Hello Im a 22 years old with a associates in Fire Science, and a EMT-B. I also have 2 years firefighting experience. I will be moving to Florida from Maine in about 3 months. I was just wondering what do fire departments in Florida look for in a firefighter?

Forum Member

Florida Certifications.

I hope the following information is still valid:

To transfer certifications to Florida is hard to do but not impossible, it does take some time. You're headed in the right direction by attending Ocala. It's hard to believe that they are screaming for qualified candidates in Florida but because of the difference in standards out of state candidates are being left out of the process. Many smaller departments are losing their qualified firefighters and medics to larger departments that pay more and have better benefits.

Contact the Standards and Training Division of The Florida State Fire College in Ocala.
    Web site address is: www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/fsfc/index.shmtl

This from a candidate who is also trying:

I Try to challenge the Florida State Certs. But the problem is that DOD or any State Firefighter 1 & 2 is 260 hrs.Florida State Firefighter is 360hrs.I submitted by

Nat. Firefighter I & II
    Nat. Haz-Mat Ops.
    SC Firefighter I
    Nat. EMT-Medic Card
    Nat. Fire Officer I & II
    Nat. Driver Pummper & Ladder
    Nat. Haz-Mat Tech.

They Told me I must go to a State of Florida Fire School to get my certs in Florida. All out-of-state firefighters MUST go to a Fl. Fire School!!
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

What schools are good to get my ff 1 and 2 at?

Forum Member

Default Lake Tech

Quote Originally Posted by stearns83 View Post
    What schools are good to get my ff 1 and 2 at?

I just finished with the Lake Tech Fire Academy, Its located at Tavares in Lake County. It is a very good school, most of the instructors are either working or retired from Orlando Fire Dept.

The website is: http://laketech.org/ips/fire-onetwo.php

The director is a highly respected, retired Cheif from Orlando FD, Cheif Williams. This is also one of the only Fire Academys in Flordia that has a Rappel Day and a Flash Over Simulator. I highly reccomend this school, I believe this is the best FF school in the State of Florida.

Our class plaque is hanging between the bay doors, is made of granite and carved into a maltese cross.

Forum Member

A list of certiied training centers can be found at:
    http://www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/Standard/StdTCr01.htm

Paramedics with Florida FF 2 are in high demand in the state.

Forum Member

FF2 is a must-have. A medic cert. is a gold card.

Everything you really learn will take place OTJ. THe courses are really just for passing the state test. Almost every JC/CC will offer a FF min stds course, take the one most convenient for you.

No one program, fire-wise, is any better than another, regardless of what people may say. Pedigree's just dont exist at the pre-employment level.

For EMS, I would highly HIGHly HIGHLY recommend St. Pete College.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post

Everything you really learn will take place OTJ. THe courses are really just for passing the state test. Almost every JC/CC will offer a FF min stds course, take the one most convenient for you.
    No, any good mininium standards class will teach you the BASICS, of course it covers what is on the state test but it also covers a lot more. If everything you really learn came from OTJ why would there be any academies? Why not hire Joe Blow from main street.

Forum Member

I think if you went to any professional FD station/house and knocked on the door and asked the first guy to answer how valuable his original community college based academy training was to him, he'd probably rate it somewhere between dryer lint and Rosie Odonnell opinions.

Its a short 3-6 month thing; It wont change your life. Just go through the academy most convenient for you. Theres no prestige that comes along with alumni status from any holy-grail academy, and once you get hired, no one there will care where you went either.

Also, make sure youre good at dishes and mopping. They ought to run THAT by the students before graduating them.

Forum Member

double post
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 06-04-2008 at 02:38 AM.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lake Tech and Central Florida Fire Academy are the 2 most popular ones in the Orlando area. Most FDs call your academy for reference from your instructors. So it won't matter which one you goto but how you perform when there.

Don't take your EMT at the fire academy though. Take it at a community college...you'll keep your hair (if you still got it). Valencia is the best place in the central FL area, and if you need Paramedic, definitely Valencia West Campus.

the ability to put out a fire

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    FF2 is a must-have. A medic cert. is a gold card.

No one program, fire-wise, is any better than another, regardless of what people may say. Pedigree's just dont exist at the pre-employment level.

For EMS, I would highly HIGHly HIGHLY recommend St. Pete College.
    Well said.. I wouldnt move to a certain area just because they have a good academy. Move where you want to live and go from there. Its getting rough though, everyone and thier brother wants to be a firefighter down here, Ive heard there is getting to be a good sized wating list for the acaedmy in Tampa. Get your Medic, youll want to kill yourself halfway through, but its worth it when looking for a job.

Thread Information