Forum Member

Default Coast Guard Firefighter

Can anyone give me information on anything the coast guard does that involves firefighting??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stearns83 View Post
    Can anyone give me information on anything the coast guard does that involves firefighting??
    They Often work near a moving water source!

MembersZone Subscriber

a song i used to sing a lot... "what the hells the coast guard"........ i don't think i'm aloud to write the rest

MembersZone Subscriber

almost forgot. what the coast guard does is similar to all other services. they put the wet stuff on the red stuff.

Forum Member

Default coastgaurd

we had a coasty in my Army Firefighting training. He told us that EVERY coastgaurd bosiman(SP)was trained in basic firefighting techniques... BUT they only get standard coastgard enlisted pay....E1-E4 etc etc.... sounds like the SHAFT if you ask me

Forum Member

Similar to the Navy's DC, (damage controlman). Very basic firefighting training, not anything that will help you build a resume'.

If you're looking for training the AF is the best choice.

Default Uscg

The US Coast Guard does have (Or They did have ) some Fire Departments. I spent almost 4 years at the Training Center Fire Dept.Sta.59 in Cape May NJ. while on active duty. This is a rare duty station.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by jwgoop View Post
    The US Coast Guard does have (Or They did have ) some Fire Departments. I spent almost 4 years at the Training Center Fire Dept.Sta.59 in Cape May NJ. while on active duty. This is a rare duty station.
    Right.. but what was the rate of those that staffed it?

-Damien

OK. The if you join the Uncle Sams boat club, you will get a bit of firefighting training. We all learn the basic stuff (How to put on the gear, how to hold a hose ect ect) at boot. If you get assigned to a cutter you will learn a bit more. Everyone on board a ship needs to learn to fight fires are repair damage. If you get a shore station (Small boat station) you will see boats on fire, but most CG boats don't carry enough firefighting equipment to put em out. We get the people off and do what we can, hope it burns itself out. There are Coast Guard fire stations, on land, with fire trucks, the whole nine yards. And if you get assigned to one you will get actual firefighting certifications (or so I'm told). However, there are only 3 that I know of, and everyone and their uncle wants to go to one, so it's a tough billet to get. As far as rates are concerned DCs (Damage Controlmen) do more firefighting training than any other rate. BMs (Boatswains Mates) Also do a fair amount. But it all depends. Thats the info I got for ya.

Forum Member

I'm currently a paid firefighter/hazmat tech for the USCG. There are only about 77 paid firefighters in the Coast Guard. We are paid on the same GS scale as DOD firefighters. The only difference is that we fall under DHS. From my knowledge, the USCG has not adopted the DOD standards yet. Just the basics are required. I use to be a Air Force civilian firefighter, but I was going to be RIF'ed from the Air Force reduction in firefighters.

Cape May has or had DC, BM, and non rates E2 @ E3's.

Thread Information