Thread: First Fatal..

Forum Member

Default First Fatal..

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/new...6-01-0001.html

Man Found Dead After Early-Morning Fire

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 - 07:12 AM Updated: 09:30 AM

By Angie Hissong
    E-mail | Biography

WHITEHALL, Ohio -- A man died Sunday morning after a fire ripped through a Whitehall house.

Whitehall firefighters responded to the home at 303 Beechtree Road after a fire broke out on the first floor, NBC 4's Lauren Diedrich reported.

Investigators said a man was trapped on the third floor and unable to escape.

The fire department is unsure exactly how the fire started, but they do not believe it to be suspicious at this time.

State Fire Marshals are on the scene to begin the investigation.

--

I was on the medic, which allowed me to begin the investigation after the fire was under control. This was a good fire to learn on, and the state fire investigator was great to work with. Cause was pretty easy to determine, so there weren't a lot of distractions. This allowed him to run me through some of the finer details and basically see the investigation from start to finish from his standpoint. This was probably my 7-8th investigation over 4 years, I've yet to be lead on anything significant.

It did kind of bum me out to learn that there wouldn't be any investigator positions open in my area for ~10 years, and that in my area especially it's very competitive to get a position, so my dream of working for the SFM office may never happen.

I just finished up my Ohio Peace Officer training, went to a basic invest class ~4 years ago, OFA hasn't offered an advanced class since that time, so far I have nothing lined up for a commissioned investigator or inspector position, so I'm going to grab a PD commission for a bit until I figure out what I'm doing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffspo0k View Post
    http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/new...6-01-0001.html

Man Found Dead After Early-Morning Fire

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 - 07:12 AM Updated: 09:30 AM

By Angie Hissong
    E-mail | Biography

WHITEHALL, Ohio -- A man died Sunday morning after a fire ripped through a Whitehall house.

Whitehall firefighters responded to the home at 303 Beechtree Road after a fire broke out on the first floor, NBC 4's Lauren Diedrich reported.

Investigators said a man was trapped on the third floor and unable to escape.

The fire department is unsure exactly how the fire started, but they do not believe it to be suspicious at this time.

State Fire Marshals are on the scene to begin the investigation.

--

I was on the medic, which allowed me to begin the investigation after the fire was under control. This was a good fire to learn on, and the state fire investigator was great to work with. Cause was pretty easy to determine, so there weren't a lot of distractions. This allowed him to run me through some of the finer details and basically see the investigation from start to finish from his standpoint. This was probably my 7-8th investigation over 4 years, I've yet to be lead on anything significant.

It did kind of bum me out to learn that there wouldn't be any investigator positions open in my area for ~10 years, and that in my area especially it's very competitive to get a position, so my dream of working for the SFM office may never happen.

I just finished up my Ohio Peace Officer training, went to a basic invest class ~4 years ago, OFA hasn't offered an advanced class since that time, so far I have nothing lined up for a commissioned investigator or inspector position, so I'm going to grab a PD commission for a bit until I figure out what I'm doing.
    First of all, don't give up so fast.

It is impossible for anyone to predict what is going to happen for the next 10 months no less the next ten years. What you need to do is be ready for the position when the opening occurs. Here are some thoughts:

1. The police gig is a good idea.
    2. The number one key for you to put yourslef above the other applicants is to get your national certification. Go here http://www.firearson.com/cfi/index.asp to see details of the CFI designaiton offered by the IAAI. You will not meet the requirements for court testimony. But you can start working now to get one of the waiver courses (ATF Advanced Fire Investigation, NFA Testimony Course, IAAI Expert Witness Course).
    3. Join the IAAI and the State Chapter of the IAAI. You will be in a position to network and maybe get a little more inside info on job openings. You will also be in a position to go to more schools.
    4. Log onto www.cfitrainer.net and take every course on there. They are free.
    5. Go to the OH Chapter IAAI school every year.
    6. Investigate as many fires as possible. 7-8 fires in 4 years is not going to help you much.

PM me if you need specifics for any of the above. Good luck.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

CFEI / CFII

Default Look for part-time in the private side

First of all George is right on the money. Get connected with IAAI and CFITrainer.net. Become a member of your state chapter.
    If you become a member of your state chapter of IAAI you will be able to network.
    You can work part-time for a private fire investigator as a Fire Investigation Technician. A tech is pretty much a goofer. "Dig here, hold this". The advantage is that your really good private guys are retired public side investigators with 20 plus years of experience. You will get to see alot of fires and learn to be an investigator in a one on one working environment.
    Fire investigations on the private side are much more involved and you will learn more from them. Private investigators complete detailed investigations everytime regardless of the cause. Public investigators are generally done when they believe the cause is accidental. Arson fires get looked at a little closer.
    I have been very blessed to work as a Fire Investigation Tech for the past several years. I work for a retired ATF (CFI/CES) agent. I work full time as a Lieutenant on an engine company. I work fire scenes on my days off.
    I got my certification last month.
    Best of luck to you
    Last edited by cubbie; 09-10-2008 at 10:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course, there may be no real reason to STAY in Ohio.

http://www.firemarshal.state.md.us/
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information