Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default TNT Rescue Tools

Does anyone have any good/bad experience they could share with regards to the TNT Rescue Tools?
    The CEDAP program has selected TNT Tools as the extrication tools package for the 2008 CEDAP Grant Program.
    Obviously, if you are lucky enough to be awarded a free set of hydraulic extrication tools, you'd be a fool to turn them down, but...

How does TNT stack up?
    Any maintenance or operator issues:?

For those who use them, would you buy them again?

MembersZone Subscriber

Very good brand. Our local reps are very good, and stand behind their word/ product. TNT's combi tool is a little different. The TNT brand are one of my top two brands.
    Look at the SL series, they also offer different control options. Get with your local reps. I've had problems with the STAR throttle type control getting pinned
    Look at their warranty and service, especially for broken blades. Compare their policy to others.

Excellent choice for grant tools, you're not getting the low end tools.

Deputy Chief, Drumbo Fire

Our Township has 3 sets in 4 stations, we have had very good service and usage with them. They are definetly what we will be getting at replacement time again. The combi and ram set are 12 years old now and still work excellent, been overhauled once, 1 full set are 4 years old and the third set is 8 months old, full compliment as well, cutter/spreader/ram/double tool pump and chains. No complaints from us at all.
    I have used and trained with quite a few different manufacturers, they all do the job well, each has there own differences be it better or different than another, as for the question, I would recomend them to anyone from my experience with them, little maintenance problems, minor only.
    kevharm
    D.C. Drumbo Fire
    Last edited by kevharm; 06-07-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added to

Forum Member

Thumbs up Its Not The Tool Its The Operator Also!

Hey buddies!

As in other cases we allways say that it is not only the tool it also has to do with the operator. TNT as other brands is an excelent tool and it will defenetly do the job according to its specs. Just like any other. If it will cut reinforced Impresas B posts? Well depends on the TNT model and aplication. At least the one used with Holmatro and Genesis did cut it while other brands could not. I am not going to say that other brands will not do the job. I can only say that some models no matter which brand were made in other times and not thinking in the future. So, maybe that is what happend that time we did not use the right model. But above all. Always remember that the BEST brand no matter which one that might be. WILL DEFENETLY LOOK JUNKEE if it is being used by a bad operator. So if you want your TNT or any other brand to work to its best. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN and if you have any time left.... TRAIN A LITTLE MORE!

KEEP SAFE! EVERYONE

Forum Member

CEDAP Grant... the price is right, you can't go wrong. Get your tools and learn how to use them and what their limitations are and you will be satisfied with them.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

My department has had great luck with TNT and have been using them exclusively for many years. We are up to 9 sets some over 12 years old that are still cutting on 200+ cars a year. The best thing about TNT is they actually stand behind their product, they still repair our 12year old cutters with no questions asked.

MembersZone Subscriber

They're pretty heavy compared to some other brands, especially the spreaders. Never had any issues with performance. Anything we've put in the blade opening of the C-25 cutter was no match for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm no expert at all on rescue tools. Recently had my 1st training with our mutual aid partner FD who has a nearly new TNT set. Working on a 15yr old Taurus. The TNT cutter couldn't cut thru the driver's door hinge. Hinge was fully exposed and accessible straight on. Seems a pretty basic and essential task. Or perhaps too hard for all/any brand?

MembersZone Subscriber

could be any of several things to cause power reduction on a tool

1. bad technique - under this would also follow inexperience in extrication
    2. mechanical problem - everything is man made, things do break or require adjustment.
    3. preventative maintenance -

There are too many variables and without being there and versed in a tool brand it is correct and safe to say it can and does happen to everyone.
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    I'm no expert at all on rescue tools. Recently had my 1st training with our mutual aid partner FD who has a nearly new TNT set. Working on a 15yr old Taurus. The TNT cutter couldn't cut thru the driver's door hinge. Hinge was fully exposed and accessible straight on. Seems a pretty basic and essential task. Or perhaps too hard for all/any brand?

In a recent training program I taught the local TNT representative provided a complete array of their tools for the students to utilize along with various other HRTs we had present. During the training program there where no issues noted with the TNT tools and they functioned as needed in each evolution.

As mentioned by others there are many other variables that could have came into play regarding the hinge cutting evolution. The tools are only as good a the individual operating them and as with any mechanical device can be prone to failure.

Where the cutters properly placed for the evolution ?

Did the second stage of the pump properly engage prior to the failure ?

Where both the pump and cutters evaluated following the evolution and where any problems found ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Or it could be that the tool couldn't cut the hinge. Some cutters can't cut what other cutters can, and there are some materials no cutters will get through.

No need to try to just assume it's operator or mechanical problems.
    It's a machine, it has it's limitations just like every one else's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch if you had read the question correctly a portapower would easily work on a 15yr old TAURUS as many a moroonie knows the Catch usually is the fact that people claim to know how to do extrication but many ONLY train maybe once a year, therefore user error is in 90+ percent of problems with most tools on the market today, not the tool.

I have tried to look outside the box for yrs and how can I do it better after having someone die while trying to extricate him. I felt at that point in my career I should have known more, so I made sure I did. If I can by training help another FF "not" to have to go through what I did, let alone the families. So Catch I have seen it, when a guy thinks he knows it all or talks a "big" game, look out; and don't confuse what I said with "thinking" I know it all, I learn each and every day. In a class I will lead with example, but I also can "become" part of the class and learn from others.
    proof of His absence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant387 View Post
    Catch if you had read the question correctly a portapower would easily work on a 15yr old TAURUS as many a moroonie knows the Catch usually is the fact that people claim to know how to do extrication but many ONLY train maybe once a year, therefore user error is in 90+ percent of problems with most tools on the market today, not the tool.

I have tried to look outside the box for yrs and how can I do it better after having someone die while trying to extricate him. I felt at that point in my career I should have known more, so I made sure I did. If I can by training help another FF "not" to have to go through what I did, let alone the families. So Catch I have seen it, when a guy thinks he knows it all or talks a "big" game, look out; and don't confuse what I said with "thinking" I know it all, I learn each and every day. In a class I will lead with example, but I also can "become" part of the class and learn from others.
    I did read the question. A guy that admits that he's no expert attended his first training with a mutual aid department. They tried to cut the fully exposed driver's side hinge of a 15-year-old Ford Taurus with a TNT cutter and it wouldn't cut. It doesn't necessarily mean they did anything wrong as far as operation or technique.

As I read your post, I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say. Are you saying they used the cutter wrong? Or are you trying to say they used the wrong tool?

In either case, they were training and I'm certain they found out that you can't rely on the cutters they have to cut every hinge out there. Lord knows ours won't (and they're not TNT), which is something we've learned in training. However, I still teach the technique, as there are cases where cutting is the better option.

My point is, don't just assume that it's operator error. Every tool out there has it's limitations. They just found out one of the limitations on that cutter.

Default evaluating tools

Does anyone know where to find the NFPA ratings for the TNT tools?
    It seems most of the other tool companies have them on their website except for TNT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterhead5 View Post
    Does anyone know where to find the NFPA ratings for the TNT tools?
    It seems most of the other tool companies have them on their website except for TNT?
    I wouldnt say most of them do. Strange though- something to look into I guess. We just had TNT out and they told us NFPA 1936 has no value on how well a tool works during an extrication. But then I came to find out that half of their stuff isnt NFPA compliant. Ironic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Holmatro and Amkus (industry leaders) do not have the alphabet rating on their websites. If it meets nfpa, what does it matter? To put the rating from a foreign rubber stamp TUV, doesn't make them compliant either, just their "original mfg". One can "pay" for anything. Single post #'s are like low number checks in a business, VERY suspicious. Yes I said it ....
    proof of His absence.

Forum Member

Holmatro and Amkus (industry leaders) do not have the alphabet rating on their websites. If it meets nfpa, what does it matter? To put the rating from a foreign rubber stamp TUV, doesn't make them compliant either, just their "original mfg". One can "pay" for anything. Single post #'s are like low number checks in a business, VERY suspicious. Yes I said it ....
    You know what else is suspicious...if you are actually a firefighter- I'm sorry- Lieutenant, or a TNT REP! I'vee looked at your other posts, because you seem SO dedicated to "the fight." Gotcha hot shot! I am making my own blog: Secret Hydraulic Tool Manufacturers and Sales Reps- Ultimate Fighting" Too funny. (By the way, Holmotro and Amkus both post their NFPA numbers on their sites)

Forum Member

This guy is awesome. The "Lieutenant" (aka: rescue tool salesman) knows an AWEFUL lot about the competitve rescue tools for a line officer. Do you think for a single second, that ANY firefighter in his right mind cares what is stamped on a hydraulic hose? I know who would- a tool salesman who is getting stomped by the competition! Wallah! I dont even know what tool you are talking about, or which one you sell, but you add to the excitement of watching undercover rescue tool salesmen have catfights in these forums...I could watch this all day. Nice work!

Forum Member

Default NFPA Ratings

Both Amkus and Holmatro have their NFPA ratings posted on their web site.
    Don't know about TNT? The NFPA level ratings do allow you to compare the performance capabilities of different brands of tools and these ratings are certified. Many tool companies show inflated max force numbers. We once had a tool company, I think it was TNT? that told us the force of the spreader was "per arm" leading us to believe you take this number times 2 ( 2 arms) we later learned this was not correct. The NFPA level ratings will eliminate that type of misinformation. Hope this helps!

Holmatro and Amkus (industry leaders) do not have the alphabet rating on their websites. If it meets nfpa, what does it matter? To put the rating from a foreign rubber stamp TUV, doesn't make them compliant either, just their "original mfg". One can "pay" for anything. Single post #'s are like low number checks in a busironess, VERY suspicious. Yes I said it ....
    I was looking on Hurst web and found the NFPA Ratings and Holmatro and Amkus and Genesis its there!.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it me, or is there suddenly four or five guys that all joined the forums in the last month asking the exact same questions? Hmmmm......

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys, if you read all of my post on extrication I have commented in many cases on how any tool in trained hands could do the job. I have driven Chevrolet trucks in the past, now I drive Ford. I have used Hurst for the first 4 to 5 yrs in my career, switched to Amkus in the early 90's and have been using them ever since. I was exposed to TNT a few yrs ago in a class I took, yeah I got to liking it the more I got to use it.

You want to question my past. Yes, I do have 20+ yrs in the fire service. In the early 1990's worked a wreck where a early 20's young man died in a car that I feel I wasn't trained enough to help get him out of efficiently. The guys father and brother both were there watching. I made the extra effort to learn everything I could and help to train others in thinking outside the box on extrication rather than approach things as they have done for decades before, not to mention the impact on the family
    proof of His absence.

Forum Member

Guys, if you read all of my post on extrication I have commented in many cases on how any tool in trained hands could do the job. I have driven Chevrolet trucks in the past, now I drive Ford. I have used Hurst for the first 4 to 5 yrs in my career, switched to Amkus in the early 90's and have been using them ever since. I was exposed to TNT a few yrs ago in a class I took, yeah I got to liking it the more I got to use it.

You want to question my past. Yes, I do have 20+ yrs in the fire service. In the early 1990's worked a wreck where a early 20's young man died in a car that I feel I wasn't trained enough to help get him out of efficiently. The guys father and brother both were there watching. I made the extra effort to learn everything I could and help to train others in thinking outside the box on extrication rather than approach things as they have done for decades before, not to mention the impact on the family
    Sorry to hear about that emotional story. It just seems asthough you know WAY more than you should about the competitive selling pitches.

MembersZone Subscriber

LC20, no problem. Heck my dept even has a Genesis power unit. Personally don't like it. It is one of those pony things. I have been told there is a problem with hose certification. Waiting to see.
    proof of His absence.

Forum Member

Does anyone have information regarding a TNT tool that blew up recently in Wisconsin and the FF using the tool was injured ?? would like to know more details

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information