MembersZone Subscriber

Default So there I was...

Getting ready for my interview. I had just completed the CPAT one hour earlier so there wasn't much time to eat, shower, and get changed into my suit for the interview. So I get my pants on, the dress, shirt, tie, belt, shoes, and finally the jacket. I'm dressed to the nines and looking dapper. Keep in mind I have a black pin-stripe suit on...As I am walking down the hallway, about 5 min before I am supposed to go in, I notice something as I take my steps...I realize that I have white socks on and it is sticking out like a chopped-off horribly mangled thumb. In my haste and nervousness, I forgot to put black socks on! Panic sets in...will the interviewers notice my dressing indescretion, will they care, or will they call the fashion police to give me a severe Rodney King style beat down? "Applicant was outstanding but he wore white socks with a black suit...DO NOT HIRE!!!" was the thought that entered my head. Just then, good fortune reared its beautiful Jessica Alba head. The candidate who just interviewed came out, I told him of my dire situation, and being the good guy that he was, took off his black socks and gave them to me. A tad disgusting, maybe, but my outfit looked much better. Brimming with confidence now, I nailed (or so I think) the interview. I was hoping to find the good samaritan after my interview and buy him several rounds of cheap whiskey, but to no avail, he was gone.

My point is this, whether you're a firefighter, or want to be a firefighter, I think this story just goes to show the type of people that firefighters are. If you're out there buddy, I got a pair of socks and a bottle of Joshua Brook waiting for ya.

MembersZone Subscriber

Haha, that's a great story.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good for the guy who took his socks off and gave them to you. That's pretty cool, especially for doing it for a stranger, his competition nonetheless.

For the record, the color of your sox will not earn or cost you a job.....
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    the color of your sox will not earn or cost you a job..
    Unless you're wearing red sox and the interviewer is a Yankees fan.

Then all bets are off.

Forum Member

You were quick on your feet to exchange socks. It might have not been a problem with the panel but as you wrote it made a difference in your confidence level, which can be critical.

Since what you wear is that strongest non-verbal statement you can make coming into the room you could have psyched yourself out knowing you were wearing white socks with your suit. You’re trying to get off on the right foot when you come into the room. In that first few moments the panel is making initial impressions on what you’re wearing, eye contact, body language, hand shakes, choice of words and inflection.

If you had been asked a question then or in the future on what was a stressful situation you have experienced and how you resolve it, you could have used the socks situation to demonstrate you are quick on your feet.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Thread Information