Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STIHL Vent Saw

Forum Member

Default STIHL Vent Saw

I am currently researching equipment for our new ladder truck and found the STIHL 460 R Magnum "Rescue" chain saw;
    http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS460Rescue.html

I spoke wiith a few guys at the VA beach FD and they told me they liked them and compaired them to the Cutters edge.

I was curious as to how may of you are using/ have used the Stihl rescue chain saw and what you thought of it.

Currently my thought is to make all of our saws STIHL. 2 Cut off (K-12) 2 360 "Tree" saws, and 2 of the Vent saws. However a few of my guys think the cutters edge is the only saw out there so to speak. I compared them and they seem to come out pretty even on paper. So for uniformity would like to keep things the same, unless of course the stihl is out performed by the cutteres edge. FYI we currently have Echo saws and they have been verry problematic, hense the reason for change.

Whats the word on the street?
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

We have the Stihl 460 Magnum rescue saw. Very nice unit, powerful, with the depth gauge. We also have a Stihl TS 700 circular, and it is equally good, but slightly larger (physical dimensions) than the cutters edge.

We have not opened a roof outside of training, but for a multi-role saw it is great. The cutter edge is also a great saw(s), and the exterior filter is a nice touch, but the cost does not get you any wonder features or power that the stihl does not. In fact, the Stihl models are often slightly more powerful than the cutters edge, although negligible.

I would be equally happy with either, but we have Stihl service right here in town, so it won out for both price and access to service.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

We have had Cutter's Edge for several years. Very reliable and user friendly. Don't know much about the Stihl; we have a rotary saw that some complain is under-powered. But it works fine if it's in the right hands.

Some of our "experts" who have about as much experience opening up roofs as I do in brain surgery managed to procure an Echo vent saw. My initial impression was that it was nothing more than a regular chain saw with a drop-angled bar. My greatest problem is it has no depth gauge and the bar doesn't lend it to cutting much more than roofs.

I have used the Cutter's Edge with the Bullet chain to cut into beaded walls during overhaul as well as roof ventilation on shingle and metal roofs. It has always performed well.

I think the primary difference between the Stihl and the Cutter's Edge may be the chain.

http://www.cuttersedge.com/Products/...8/Default.aspx

Anyone ever tried to put a Bullet chain on a Stihl saw? Then you'd have an excellent combination.

C6

Forum Member

We replaced two Cutter's Edge saws a last year with the Stihl saw. However, I got the powerheads and put the Tempest bar and chain on them. Not only did I save a bunch of cash, but we built a better saw. Stihl tried to copy the Tempest chain, only they did not make it as heavy guaged. Also, you can get more than one length choice if you go with the Tempest setup.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Anyone ever tried to put a Bullet chain on a Stihl saw? Then you'd have an excellent combination.

C6
    Yup. Ran two with Carbi Chain with some success. Carbi chain was the only one that would recommend their product on our smaller Stihl saws(24 and 26?). Both were fairly underpowered for the vent chains. We went to Ventmasters and have found them to be excellent.

I'd recommend the Stihl saws. They get the job done. We have the STIHL 460 R Magnums, thier circular saws, and a couple others. None have failed to work, or get through a roof. Maintenance and inspections are done yearly, besides the weekly checks the FF's do

We used to have the cutters edge. But for warranty work, they had to be shipped out. With the Stihl's, we send it to a local factory service center.

FM1

Forum Member

We run all Stihl saws and have three 460 rescue saws. They've been used numerous times at calls and the reports I get is that they will rip through practically anything. When the chains need touching up I drop them off at the local wood working blade sharpener and they come back just like new for $30.00. We've only had one tooth break off. The saw has tons of power too.

Forum Member

My department as used Cutters Edge for almost 18 years. We bought two back in 1991, and one was traded in for a new one several years ago for a new one with the 16" blade. We still have the other one with it original 12" blade. We have also bought several more Cutters Edge's over the years.

I have used several different saws over the years and my least favorite is the Echo vent saw (A piece of Junk, just my opinion). Stihl is next in line because in smokey conditions they tend not to run as well as the Cutters Edge and some of the other saws because of the external filter that the Cutters Edge has. The "Bullet Chain" is another reason for picking the Cutters.

Given a choice between the Stihl and the Cutters Edge I would take the Cutters any day.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run a Cutters Edge and an Echo. I rather have the Cutters Edge, but they both do just fine.

Our local saw shop has supplied us with diamond tipped chains for a little while now, which do just as well as the bullet chain on roof tops, and actually seems a little better when plunge cutting garage doors and walls and what not.

Just something to think about...
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

We got a Stihl over a year ago now. Seems to do well and it was 700-800.00 cheaper than the Cutters from the local dealer. The Stihl model they use for the Rescue Saw is a Pro-model power head. I would buy another one if we can find the $$$ for it without hesitation.

We have used Stihl Chansaws for quite a few years. Ours are all older models and aren't the "Fire/Rescue" versions... I think the 1st one was a 290 or 029 and the 2 newest are the opposite (029 or 290)...... They have worked OK for us and only had minor problems........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post

I have used several different saws over the years and my least favorite is the Echo vent saw (A piece of Junk, just my opinion).

I would take the Cutters any day.
    I agree with you Chief.

The Cutter's Edge has never let me down.

C6

Forum Member

We are starting to switch from cutters edge to Stihl 460's. The cutters edge haven't given us many problem, most are caused through wear and tear. They are a great saw but to repair it or get it repaired costs some $$$. The motors are Jonserd and the bar and chain are proprietary. To get any parts they have to come from California. These are the major reasons for our switch over. We have 4 Stihl dealer/repair facilities within minutes of our district and can get parts fairly easy. We went without the depth guard and I am going to paint the tip of the bar orange to identify the maximum cutting depth. We also went with a 20" bar. The saw has only been used on training houses but has performed well. Also we got a TS460 cutoff with a Norton Rescue Runner (Diamond Blade) as an addition to the chainsaw.

Thread Information