Thread: New Brush Truck

Forum Member

Default New Brush Truck

This is the truck that we got with the 2005 afg.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Default that's a good looking truck

can you give me some info on it...

Specs??
    Price???
    Where you bought it???

thanks,

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats, nice looking unit. Fingers crossed I have put in for a simular unit for three years now, hoping this will be the year.

Forum Member

Talking

It looks better in person. Especially when it arrives in our district for automatic aid.

Forum Member

Nice!

Who built it?
    How much was it?

Who put the first ding,dent or scratch on it?

Forum Member

Smile New Brush Truck

The truck is a 2005 Ford F-550 4x4 diesel, It has a 400 Gal. Polly tank 34hp Diesel pump, Sidewinder front electric turret,25 Gal. foam tank, and a 5500 watt Generator and all the other equipment to fight brush and grass fires.

The total cost of the unit was $ 85,000.00

The truck was built by Neel Fire Protection Apparatus in Waco Texas.

Forum Member

The Mayor!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lot of the same characteristics of our new one--built by Weis in Salina KS. Post #64 in this thread:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...t=84334&page=4

Nice unit Huntington.

earl

Forum Member

Default Brush truck

Name:  1204236696701_Picture%20004a.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  9.9 KB
    Congrats Huntington on your truck, but not to get on a soapbox, BUT we built this truck from the ground up ourselves and even if we would have bought a new slide-in it would only have cost us 45,000 (it cost us 35,000 with tools on it). Meanwhile departments get 85,000 brush trucks while I get denied a PPE grant to replace bunker gear that's 15 years old. I know that the AFG has money set aside for the different areas, but if you can get the same quality but a less fancy vehicle, more departments would benefit. I think the manufacturers and the other powers that be need to reevaluate what is getting awarded and possibly scale back what options get to be put on the trucks, like what GSA has. They have very few options for their vehicles, and it keeps the price down. If a manufacturer can build a "plain jane" truck like ours for lets say 40,000, wouldn't it be better to have two new trucks instead of one? Again Huntington beautiful truck, and if the gov is going to toss money your way I say grab all you can get.
    A little info about my truck
    2008 F-450 Diesel 4X4
    250 gallon fiberglass tank
    125 gpm 18 horse pump
    10/23 GPM fixed ground spray nozzle
    Pro/pak foam system
    steel toolboxes from tractor supply
    flatbed from local manufacturer
    We went no funds warrants and for 125,000 we were able to get two of these and a new F-750 chassis for our 1,000 gallon tanker.
    Jeremy Rodecap
    Chief of Operations
    Jefferson County Fire District # 3
    Kansas

FH Mag/.com Contributor

While you only laid out $45k, the big question is how much time and talent did it take to make that happen? The most expensive piece of anything is labor, and if you have people with the know-how in house to build/repair your own stuff it's something that should be done. But at a point there are too many other things going on for there to be enough hands to make the load light. Ye olde 80/20 rule. Other thing is what kind of warranty is in place on your unit? Certainly that's not worth $40k in price difference, but peace of mind does cost. (See life and health insurance premiums for proof. )

DHS does use GSA pricing as a guideline for all grant requests, and they have been pretty "stingy" (in a good way) to make sure people aren't getting gold-plated toys. Hence the limit on PPE, SCBA, and basically everything they give out.

If you're not getting 15 year old PPE replaced sounds like a lack of structure fires. In 2006 I had 5 departments not make it past the computer with PPE over 15 years old. 3 had 0 structure fires the year before, 2 only had 1. All it takes is someone with similar area stats and 2 structure fires to score higher and they got bumped. They all (for better or worse) had more than 3 structure fires in 2006 so they all picked up awards in 2007.

And narrative-wise, need may be there in the computer but without all of the bulletpoints in it, you still can't score. Peer can't assume what isn't there, so if the metric is blank they can't guess and give you credit for what wasn't said. Then again, it could all be there. When it involves humans one never knows why decisions are made the way they are, we're odd animals like that.

Forum Member

Yes, we too built our own brush truck. But, some departments out there do not have the resources. There are still alot of departments out there with needs. Since I live not too far from this department I will tell you some of their background.
    Per capita income $12,614.00 Very large portion of district below poverty which means alot of old appliances and alot of fires for an area their size along with brush fires. Plus, they run medical-sometimes in their area there is a wait of 20 to 30 minutes for County ACLS to arrive.

This is the only new truck in the history of the department which was formed almost 40 years ago. They don't need turnouts. Chief made sure that his members were protected. But they did need a new pumper/tanker which they will be receiving in or around Oct. Again, AFG. It will replace a vehicle on loan from Forestry and a 1960 refurbished Seagrave.
    As I said there are still alot of departments out there with needs. Some just have a greater need. As others have said the program is not perfect. But, it has helped this department without it they would be in a world of hurt.

Thread Information