Forum Member

Default Chicago FD Lawsuit Dropped

Appellate court tosses out firefighter exam suit
    From today's print edition:

By Dan Mihalopoulos
    and Hal Dardick
    Tribune reporters

A federal appeals court Wednesday reversed a judge’s ruling that the Daley administration discriminated against African-Americans who took a 1995 firefighter entrance exam.

The judge had ruled against the city in 2005 and last year called on the Chicago Fire Department to hire 132 black candidates who passed the exam but never were offered jobs.

A three-judge panel of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals tossed out the lawsuit on a technicality Wednesday, agreeing with the city’s contention that the suit had been filed too late.

The firefighter exam’s cutoff score for well-qualified applicants produced a pool of potential hires with five times more whites than African-Americans. Most Chicago firefighters are white, although no racial group makes up anywhere near a majority of the city’s residents.

The federal judge who ruled against the city in 2005 agreed to delay enforcement of her order to hire the black firefighters while the appeal was decided. Following Wednesday’s decision, the city will not hire those applicants and instead continue to hire from a list of qualified job seekers generated after the last exam, administered in 2006, said Jennifer Hoyle, spokeswoman from the city’s Law Department.

“The status quo will be maintained,” Hoyle said. “We’re going to keep doing the hiring that we’re doing.”

The plaintiffs plan to ask the full appellate court to review the decision.

“This opinion is wrong, and we think we can get it reversed,” said Matthew Piers, a lawyer for the plaintiffs.

The three judges who heard the appeal ruled that the plaintiffs took too long—more than 300 days—to file a discrimination charge with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

The Daley administration lawyers argued that the plaintiffs should have filed the charge within 300 days of receiving notice in January 1996 that they were unlikely to be hired.

The plaintiffs responded that they had 300 days to file the charge from the time that the city began hiring from its list of well-qualified applicants. That would have meant they did not file too late.

The city administered the 1995 test to 26,000 applicants. Based on their test scores, 1,782 were classified as well-qualified, 19,000 were rated qualified and the rest were unqualified. The city announced that it only planned to hire about 600 from the well-qualified list.

The plaintiffs sued in September 1998, alleging that the cutoff score for the well-qualified group disproportionately classified blacks as merely qualified and was not a true test of firefighting ability.

After winning the favorable ruling in 2005, lawyers for the plaintiffs said they would seek as much as $80 million in damages for the qualified black applicants.

Hoyle, the Law Department spokeswoman, said the city had been in talks to settle the case but those negotiations stalled over the issue of how much the city would have to pay the plaintiffs.

dmihalopoulos@tribune.com
    hdardick@tribune.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Good. Glad its done, becuase God knows the state of Chicago would of had to "borrow" money from the State of Illinois to pay for it all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2426 View Post
    Good. Glad its done, becuase God knows the state of Chicago would of had to "borrow" money from the State of Illinois to pay for it all.
    What exactly do you mean by that ? Are you saying that the rest of the state pulls the weight for Chicago ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    What exactly do you mean by that ? Are you saying that the rest of the state pulls the weight for Chicago ?
    UMMM!!! YAAAAAAA!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    EXACTLY!!!!!!! I wish that Chicago would go ahead and secede from the State of Illinois so they wouldn't be our problem anymore.

Forum Member

Two of the stupidest posts I have read in a long time.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I've got a couple of things to say;
    first off on the orginal post, this is one job you take the most quilafied end of story.
    Secound, Mikey, I think we have bailed out the city a time or two, I don't think they have ever sent money downstate. Now for those of you that want to seperate Chicago from the rest of the state, stop and think about it.....what would we be?......Iowa!

MembersZone Subscriber

Every dept. should hire the BEST qualified, no matter what race/religion/sex whatever. I don't think that any test should be "dumbed down" to allow more people to pass.

Trainer, I couldn't agree more with you on the Chicago thing. As much as I hate to admit it, Chicago supports a large percentage of the Illinois economy. And that's coming from someone who lives by I-64! BUT, I do think that the governor does forget about us from time to time.
    DJ

IAFF L738
    www.iafflocal738.org

IACOJ

Forum Member

I think the Governor forgot about everybody

Forum Member

Here's an idea for you racists out there reading this: Race doesn't matter. Test scores matter. Score higher if you want the job!
    BE A BACKBONE - NOT A JAWBONE

Thread Information