Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Body Fat % for Medical exam

I just got a conditional offer and was scheduled for a medical exam which included body fat analysis. Does anyone know what level they are looking for and is this a make or break part of the physical/job offer?

thanks for any insight!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post
    I just got a conditional offer and was scheduled for a medical exam which included body fat analysis. Does anyone know what level they are looking for and is this a make or break part of the physical/job offer?

thanks for any insight!
    I dont think its a disqualifier as it is more of a way to track where you are at at the time of being hired. I'd look at it as a helpful tool. I'm pretty sure the fire department you signed the offer with isnt full of chiseled people with 2% body fat on every engine.. lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whch dept. are you going to? At FxCo. we have a recruit in the 126th who is 6'2", and started at about 300 lbs. He has a decent amount of muscle, but is holding a fair amount of excess baggage. He has been doing well with the runs, and has outperformed some that weigh 80-100 lbs less. He hasn't even come close to vomiting during pt, either. If you're in decent cardiovascular shape, a spare tire shouldn't hold you back at the physical.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bugsdad View Post

thanks for any insight!
    Have you seen some of the firefighters these days? They eat five full meals a day and never break a sweat in the gym. The medical exam is to clear you of any outstanding issues, being overweight is not one of them.
    Eh?

Thread Information