Forum Member

Default Shower/washroom question

It's me again, not sure if I had said it in my other posts but I missed the inscription date for the courses this year so it will have to wait 'til next year, but on the positive side I can get more in shape and increase my chances of getting in.

I just had these questions come to mind the other day, they're not very important but I was curious. I assume you have showers in the firehouse to wash after a call? Is it just one shower for all or what? Secondly, what happens if you happen to be at the toilet when the alarm rings, do they wait for you or is there someone that will go instead in order to not waste a second? By the way, when there's a call is it everyone in the house that goes or are there like seperate teams and some stay in case there's another call? What if you have to go to the toilet during a long call? I know some calls can last many many hours, so it must happen that some of you have to go during a call, so what do you do in that case? You're obviously not gonna use the washroom in a burning building, and I really don't think the fire trucks have built in washrooms.

Thanks again for those who gave me serious information before, and I know these are maybe unusual questions but asI said I was just wondering.
    Last edited by poster; 06-07-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Forum Member

Most places have somewhat of a community shower. Ever see Chuck and Larry? We however, at our stations have a large bathroom with seperate showers w/shower curtains. All depends on the station. I don't think people would leave without you just to save time. Most stations you are assigned to a rig and I would think they wouldn't drive out the door without their crew. I know alot of times people will quickly run to the bathroom if they really need to before running to the rig. When you have to go during a call, you'll find a way. There are always other places nearby like some woods or a neighboring house/business. Where there's a will there is a way! Hope this answers some of your questions.

Permanently Removed

1. Everyone should shower together to save water and build teamwork.

2. If youre in the brown room and a call comes in pinch it off.

3. If youre on a long call and mother nature calls, hold it or go use a tree.

Let's talk fire trucks!

1. We have 2 showers for 10 guys. Either 8 guys take a break while the others shower, or we go 5 and 5 and start all kinds of rumors.

2. Yea, pinch it off, and double-time it to the rig.

3. What Bou said.

Also, don't think we shower after every call! We'll run 10 calls during a tour, and with the 100-degree temps today, you're going to be hot, sweaty, and nasty throughout the day. Save the shower for the end of the day or the following morning - but be prepared to wash your linens...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

1. Showering together not only saves water, but relieves stress and makes it easier to clean your back. Take turns playing drop the soap. The shower isn't over until everyone's had their turn.

2. Keep a small bucket next to you, carry it with you to the apparatus. A good chauffer can make it easy to finish up on the way.

3. Remember the bucket?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    1. Showering together not only saves water, but relieves stress and makes it easier to clean your back. Take turns playing drop the soap. The shower isn't over until everyone's had their turn.
    You must use the powdered soap, huh?

We don't have showers, we just run through the sprinklers.

On a serious note...

If you don't make the engine, because you are "busy", someone else will take your place and you have to pout on the ladder.

I've used the bathroom in a building on fire, when you have to go... I don't recommend the practice, but beats filling up the boots. We've also gone to neighbors, or found a discreet tree.
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 06-07-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

When a run comes in while doing number 2 and you have to pinch it off and shove TP in there, the correct term is "manpon".
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    It's me again, not sure if I had said it in my other posts but I missed the inscription date for the courses this year so it will have to wait 'til next year, but on the positive side I can get more in shape and increase my chances of getting in.

I just had these questions come to mind the other day, they're not very important but I was curious. I assume you have showers in the firehouse to wash after a call? Is it just one shower for all or what?
    Secondly, what happens if you happen to be at the toilet when the alarm rings, do they wait for you or is there someone that will go instead in order to not waste a second?

If the tones drop and you're on the throne, wipe up, zip up or you'll find yourself alone! Depending on the call, some may jump on the rig in your place, and you take their spot on their rig. If everyone goes, you're sool!

In some firehouses... if you took a shower after every call, you would be as wrinkled as a prune by the end of the tour!

It depends on when the station was built and how many personnel it was built for. My HQ station has four shower stalls in the men's locker room area, two in the women's locker room. Our Station 2 has one shower for the four personnel assigned there, and our Station 3 has two shower stalls for 5 personnel (one in the men's locker room room, one in the women's locker room).

Of course, if you are assigned to a station with no female personnel, you can always use the unoccupied areas... just makle sure you leave it cleaner than you found it!

By the way, when there's a call is it everyone in the house that goes or are there like seperate teams and some stay in case there's another call?
    Depends on the nature of the call.. a public assistance call usually gets one rig, a motor vehicle accident can get two or more, depending on the FD's response protocols, a working fire may dump all of a community's resources on a first alarm and trigger automatic mutual aid.

What if you have to go to the toilet during a long call? I know some calls can last many many hours, so it must happen that some of you have to go during a call, so what do you do in that case?
    For extended incidents ( like those lasting over 24 hours and such), the incident commander may request to have a couple of porta-potties delivered, other than that, you can ask someone from a neighboring building if you could use their facility in dire emergency...

You're obviously not gonna use the washroom in a burning building, and I really don't think the fire trucks have built in washrooms.
    Fire trucks don't have bathrooms... and yes, bathrooms have been used in burning buildings before... it's okay as long as the fire is nowhere near the washroom and you let Command know where you are... sometimes, you just have to find a private spot and handle the situation yourself... once again, letting Command know where you are going to be. To be truthful... when you are at an incident, "dropping a deuce" or putting your own "master stream" into operation gets waylaid by the adrenaline flowing in your veins.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-07-2008 at 05:00 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Permanently Removed

On a serious note- You should wash your hands after every call. (fire and EMS)

MembersZone Subscriber

1. We always have community showers, 3 person minimum for activation. We also push all the beds together on the last day of the swing.

2. Mandatory "hold it" policy enforced while on duty.

3. see number 2.

Ok, seriously.

1. Some departments have one stall they all share and some have one stall per person. Depends on station design and when it was built, department, and money available to build a station. No two places are alike.

2. If you are on the throne when a run comes in, you better push out that stink pickle quickly and do the final paperwork or you will be left alone.

3. Either a nice discreet tree or if you really really have to, we tell the officer you are with and go find a place to make a deposit. Usually this is not an issue because of the situation at hand, the last thing you think about is taking dump someplace. Number 1 is common to find a tree or go behind a building out of the view of the public and the tv cameras. That would not look good on Dateline!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    I always thought there was something strange about TX.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Permanently Removed

Another side note- Sometimes when I was going to be in the restroom (shower or nature run), I would simply tell the Company Officer-" I'm going to be in the shower for a bit." That lets him or her know I'll be on a slight delay.

Not like the others above, being a paid FF, the engine/truck wont be leaving with out me. All 3 have to go on the call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our answers are pretty much the same as the others above. However with some extended incidents we can have our divisional rehab and decon vehicle at the scene where we have showers available (decon) and porta-pottie (rehab). It only took 20 years of thinking to get to this point, but it's going in the right direction, slowly.

MembersZone Subscriber

This? Coming from someone in SC?

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I always thought there was something strange about TX.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

No shower at all at our station (but then, we're volunteer/unstaffed). New station will have one stall, with provisions to add more later if needed, hoping to start construction latter part of this year.

And yes, #1 I have done many times at fire scenes...back behind the house, behind the engine, in the cane field, wherever. Never been faced with #2. Since we're a volunteer department and some guys respond to scenes in POV's, I suppose you could always borrow someone's vehicle and run back to the station to "take care of business" if it got that bad. Just make sure to let the I.C. know you're leaving (and don't use it as an excuse to not come back to the scene ) We've had guys do that a few times.

Of course, with a paid department your options are probably more limited.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    This? Coming from someone in SC?
    Thought that scfire was from Southern California?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Not again

FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Let's talk fire trucks!

At least he warned us in his OP that he was back.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

In regards to number 2 in the station. I always have two "pre-assembled" wipes made up and ready in case a call comes in. Also, I have seen some stations buy baby wipes with their hall bill money and place a box next to the pot. After the 2 whipes, use one baby wipe, flush and haul tail to the engine. It may sound odd, but I think it is actually nice. who doesn't like a freshly scented turd-bailer. By the way that process should take only seconds. The real trick is getting out of the shower, put on a suitable uniform and get on the truck when the call comes in.

oh and yeah there are showers in stations and the style of the shower is different from station to station, some have private showers and some have the locker room style shower

Forum Member

I was on a vollie department with unstaffed stations.The "New"Chief who came in in 2001 started encouraging people to hang out at the stations in case of a call and the new station completed in 2005 has multiple separate showers and toilets so there's no reason not to after a call.
    The rigs still have a "duty roll" for when someone just ate before a call and there are guys I've known that are not above knocking on a neighbor's door to request the use of their powder room.
    Going behind a tree does risk an actual news report:"We're here at what I am told is a 3 alarm fire on Beech Road.We know that mutual aid departments have been called and......Jerry follow that guy with the camera.Appearently something is happening,a fireman has just broken away from his crew to do something else.We're waiting to see if he's going to make a rescue or-Oh good Lord,Jeff,cut back to the station quick,Nobody needs to see that!".

Forum Member

Talking

we run a two man shift and me and lt were both in seperate showers caught a run for an AFA well no time to dress up so we ran the call in our boxers, tshirt and bunker gear and that is it. best comfort i've ever had in bunker gear!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Are they NFPA approved boxers and tee shirts?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Are they NFPA approved boxers and tee shirts?
    LOL, what are NFPA boxers/Shirts? I looked it up, this is what I have. Boxers now cost $4000 each but the vendors on the committee will sell them to you, so no problem! Just use Homeland Security grants!

NFPA 1901:BVD 200 - Approved Firefighter Undgarments

Section 1
    1. Material will be of non-synthetic material. Materials accepted for undergarments will be made of 100% silk
    2. Around the circumference of the boxer shorts will be a 2" retro-reflective stripe. The retro-reflective material shall be no less than 500 sq inches of total area.
    3. The rear of the boxers will have a red and yellow, retro-reflective chevron, sloping outwards from the top of the boxers.
    4. Boxers will also have upper and lower warning lights. Lighting in each zone will be of the same manufacturer.
    5. A warning light and buzzer shall be affixed so that operator of boxer shorts is aware of any open "compartments".
    6. There shall be a system for the containment of soot and other exhaust.
    7. There shall be a warning sign applied to each boxer and shirt stating the maximum riding occupancy.
    8. Each seated position will have adequate restraints to provide for protection of occupants.
    9. There shall be a warning system for the operator if seat restraints are not engaged.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    On a serious note- You should wash your hands after every call. (fire and EMS)
    especially if you had to pinch one off
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    LOL, what are NFPA boxers/Shirts? I looked it up, this is what I have. Boxers now cost $4000 each but the vendors on the committee will sell them to you, so no problem! Just use Homeland Security grants!

NFPA 1901:BVD 200 - Approved Firefighter Undgarments

Section 1
    1. Material will be of non-synthetic material. Materials accepted for undergarments will be made of 100% silk
    2. Around the circumference of the boxer shorts will be a 2" retro-reflective stripe. The retro-reflective material shall be no less than 500 sq inches of total area.
    3. The rear of the boxers will have a red and yellow, retro-reflective chevron, sloping outwards from the top of the boxers.
    4. Boxers will also have upper and lower warning lights. Lighting in each zone will be of the same manufacturer.
    5. A warning light and buzzer shall be affixed so that operator of boxer shorts is aware of any open "compartments".
    6. There shall be a system for the containment of soot and other exhaust.
    7. There shall be a warning sign applied to each boxer and shirt stating the maximum riding occupancy.
    8. Each seated position will have adequate restraints to provide for protection of occupants.
    9. There shall be a warning system for the operator if seat restraints are not engaged.
    If you are at the point when you have to worry about your underwear burning its already too late
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information